Modding Discussion Directional Melee Proof of concept

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by TheWall, Dec 9, 2013.

1. TheWall

TheWall Phantasmal Quasar

Okay so after a couple hours of messing with data files, I got a directional spear working. The animation timing is still a bit off since I don't know what every number exactly is but overall its a solid proof of concept. I didn't spend much time looking to see if someone else already did this... so forgive me if its been done already. Oh and did I mention that the spear actually animates? (hold the mouse down for best results)

EDIT - wow totally forgot to mention that you need to create a new human character to view the item (it is with your starting weapon)

EDIT - again wow... I just noticed the post about the built in mod loader. I will be using that in the future for sure. Sorry for not including that in this one.

[​IMG] [​IMG]

Copy the Assets folder into your assets folder, merging all folders, and replacing 2 files.

it modifies
    leveling > bow.lvlfunctions
    treasure > default.treasurepools

and adds
    items > guns > modded
    projectiles > swoosh > spear > modded

I have attached the default files. To remove the mod, delete the two modded folders and replace the bow.lvlfunctions and default.treasurepools with the copies found in the default folder of the .zip.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 9, 2013
  2. Ixath

Ixath Starship Captain

At work now so I can't try it out, but this looks amazing.

Something like this might finally make non-2H swords viable.

3. SquarelyCircle

SquarelyCircle Cosmic Narwhal

Very cool. This is one of those things that I hope the devs implement so that it will be universally present. I never ever use any weapon that doesn't swing in an arc because of this issue.

Thanks for the PoC!

4. p0pp3t

p0pp3t Void-Bound Voyager

Looks good and with the upcoming changes in the combat it should get easier to assign a proper damage them also.

5. TheWall

TheWall Phantasmal Quasar

As an added note, you haven't fully tested this mod until you have jumped just higher than a jumping enemy and slammed it back into the ground with a downward thrust ^_^ great fun.