Pixel Dillerkind's Pixels...

Discussion in 'Fan Works' started by Dillerkind, Nov 14, 2014.

1. Dillerkind

Dillerkind Tentacle Wrangler

I guess this here isn't exactly Halfway fan-art... it's rather my attempt at emulating the style of the developers' avatar pics, using the same colors (just stripped away the unused palette colors from the original files).
    [​IMG]
    I hope you guys don't mind an outsider using a similar-looking avatar. If it's a problem I'll just switch back to my gravatar. Other than that I've been thinking of doing some "real" Halfway-related stuff later. The idea of a demake mockup sounds pretty appealing to me, like a 16color low-res game scene something. I just don't know when I'll find the time and/or motivation to put this into practice so it might take some time. Feedback is welcome.

ScorpyX, Bughunter and rhomboid like this.
    • Seminus

Seminus Halfway Developer Developer

wow that looks mighty sweet. :) no worries with the avatar we love it when you use it. :)

looking forward to see more. would love to see a 16 color mockup :) or even a 4 color gameboy version ;)

• Bughunter

Bughunter Spaceman Spiff

Looks great!

• Dillerkind

Seminus
          Ah good... As for the gameboy pic, this would be an interesting challenge since I've never worked with a palette that limited. I'll keep that in mind, just don't expect it to be done anytime soon. I guess I'll start slowly and do something that I'm feeling a bit more familiar with.

Btw, you're the main artist, right? If so, what program(s) have you been using? PyxelEdit for everything? I'm just curious because I first learned about Halfway through a thread on the Pyxel forums. I've bought it too but so far been using it only very little. I'm just too darn used to Grafx2 :D

Bughunter
          Thank you!

• Seminus

@Dillerkind : Yes I'm the main artist of Halfway but I was definitely not alone:
            Johan did the Characters and enemies.
            Johan uses mainly PS for his stuff, even though I can not understand how someone wants to use that software for pixel art ;) But the results speak for them self.
            Also Thomas made the intro/extro elements, I think he uses Gimp.
            I did the rest (art direction, tile sets, environments, Special FX and level design etc)

I myself used PyxelEdit for everything else and I continue to use it for all pixel related stuff. I think it is awesome. I use PS for some cut/past and edit and mock-up stuff but it idles most of the time.

• Dillerkind

Haha, I too will never understand why somebody would willingly use PS for pixel stuff. While it's very versatile and powerful for many things, I think it's too bloated and "big" for all things pixel. And right-clicking opens a context-menu instead of drawing with the second color, which to me is a total no-go. But each to his own, as they say.

As for PyxelEdit, I think it still needs work in some areas but it already has some pretty neat features. Showing a full sprite-sheet instead of just one single animation at a time is really cool. And the tiling-features of course. I intend to use it for animations stuff mostly, whereas for my non-animated stuff I think I'll stick to Grafx2 for the time being.

But I've taken enough of your time. I shall be back when there's some actual pixel content to look at :D

• Seminus

No worries love to chat with fellow pixel pushers. ;)

Yes all tools have pro/cons and in the end it is personal preferences. :) No tool can replace talent but it can support it :)
                Looking forward to anything you may come up with.

• Dillerkind

Ah good good... I shall still try not to spam too much when there's no "real content" to be shown.
                  As for the talent, I agree. The best tool won't do much good if one doesn't know how to make proper use of it.