Modding Help Digging by hand?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Drakarus, Apr 16, 2017.

1. Drakarus

Drakarus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

So, you know the drill by now. A friend and I, full conversion mod, yet another question.

Is their some way in which we could make empty hands both a basic weapon, and a digging tool? Like, if you have nothing on your hot-bar, you can still punch blocks for tile damage?

Basically what I'm saying is, would it be possible to add Armenia combat and/or mining to the game without having to have a tool for the job?

2. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

you can make an item look like nothing and hav 1 version a fist weapon and 1 version a pick

Drakarus likes this.
  3. Drakarus

We thought of that, and they could technically be the same item, and just have it do tile damage too. That's what I wanted to do if we couldn't have a "default tool" sort of situation.

My friend decided to just tweak the MM into a really weak dig-by-hand tool and gut all of it's upgrades. Like, make the tool and it's beam invisible, add a swing animation, reduce it's range and make it take 2 minutes to break anything.

4. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

2 mins to break anything is overkill. i'd say 10 seconds to break a 2x2 area

5. Drakarus

The point of the bare hands would be simply to break a single piece of stone, then craft the first *actual* digging tool. The rock is much faster, but that's not saying much. These are mostly just to pace the early game and make building into a much more careful process. Making any sort of progress feel important without reducing it to the point of monotony is the main goal here, and we've layed out everything through stone tools to take place before the player even tries to mine anything besides stone, dirt, grass and maybe trees. The only things they need are cobblestone, wood, and cordage, which we're inserting as an intermediary between Plant fiber and rope.

I've played with the rock tool, and let me tell you, it turns DIRT into a valuable commodity early on. Because it makes block into an investment, without making them hard to get. It's so awesome to build with things being that limited, even though it sounds like it'd be torture. >w<

Put simply, yes. It's totally unreasonable, because you aren't suppose to be relying on it for longer than it takes to move onto the next thing. It sets up an expectation of difficulty without throwing it in your face, and because the progression lets you upgrade immediately to something better, it lets even the rock, which takes an ABSURD amount of time to cut s tree down, fell like a VAST upgrade.