Boss Difficulty proportional to number of players

Discussion in 'NPCs and Creatures' started by Acry, Jul 11, 2012.

1. Acry

Acry Space Hobo

Obviously Starbound is a game that takes a lot of influence from Terraria, especially as the games share a developer. When I played through Terraria I did so with a group of friends on a multiplayer server that I had bought, the boss fights were frikkin awesome but we hardly felt challenged on any of them because at any given time there was 4-8 of us.

So I would suggest to keep the game difficult there be some sort of proportionality between the number of players and the HP/Damage of the boss.

Just my 2 cents.

2. Kristopher

Kristopher Phantasmal Quasar

Tyi said in the IRC that the more players the more difficult for normal enemys not sure about bosses but im guessing they will doing the same.

3. Ghoschief

Ghoschief Phantasmal Quasar

I think you may have posted in the wrong section, pal... This is more of a game mechanic...

4. Madmarlon

Madmarlon Pangalactic Porcupine

I know it would only seem fair to have that mechanic implemented, I would still prefer that to be an optional setting on multiplayer servers. Let's say a bunch of people with n00b gear feel like visiting a level 100 planet to fight a boss, they would only have a serious chance when that option is disabled. If that is however a must, then we those people couldn't experience that fun!

5. The Enlightened Grue

The Enlightened Grue Master Astronaut

that's actually one of the things I appreciated in Diablo 3, and that they did right (despite it being way too linear for my tastes).
    whenever someone joined in Diablo 3, every enemy (bosses included) went up in hp, armor, and damage proportionate to how many people were in the match.
    There's just one problem with doing this in Starbound... at this point we don't know how many people can play easily (with standard "off the shelf" computer running server) on one server. And they won't always be working together. Eventually there is just too much potential for people to join in just to make "that one idiot" be destroyed by everything out there. As it stands, Starbound is a bit too open-world and free-roam for an idea like this.

6. Vance Renadi

Vance Renadi Void-Bound Voyager

I'd think it'd be possible, but I'd really just prefer not, except maybe in some rare situations. I want some challenges to be bloody hard with a single person but easier with a group.

7. Fracture

Fracture Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Any time I played with friends I'd always summon 2-3 bosses at once for just that reason. Multiple destroyers, for the record, is total hellish chaos.

I like the idea though. I want the experience of playing with friends, but I don't want to be on easy-mode because of it. I also don't want to have to handicap myself for no gain like with Terraria's medium/hardcore just to get some challenge out of a multiplayer game, especially if not everybody does it.