1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Difficult situation, Starbound mod won't launch

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Alliance Human Male, Jun 2, 2017.

1. Alliance Human Male

Alliance Human Male Void-Bound Voyager

Hi, I'm having major difficulty with my Starbound download from Steam. Two plus years ago, I was able to run the game with a particular mod that I liked but as of this time I am completely unable to as I have no knowledge of remedying the problem. I want to use the Mass Effect Edition mod, the game is unable to run it for reasons unknown to me; it just boots up, loads for a few seconds, and then shuts down. There's an eerier issue however - my Player folder is missing from "Storage". I have both Starbound and Starbound - Unstable, which is how I'm able to know that there's even a Player folder in the first place aside from having read other accounts on the forums here. I feel like I'm faced with an impossible situation, I just would like to get the mod to run and be able to play it once again. It's been this way since weeks ago, I'm returning for another attempt at solving this. Please help! (I figured that since that Player folder is missing without a trace, I might be SoL, but there's gotta be a way.) Thanks :)

P.S.: My Starbound should be up to date, as it is always kept up to date in accordance with the option I have had selected under Updates in Properties on Steam.

2. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

if i remember right, that mod is far outdated. check your log at <sb folder>/storage/starbound.log (may appear as starbound with type LOG or type Text Document). due to the nature of this but, these are likely not needed, but in the same folder, there are starbound.log.1 through .5 (may appear as starbound.log with types 1-5 respectively), these may be needed, but not until we determine the latest log is useless

Alliance Human Male likes this.
  3. Alliance Human Male

Starbound - Unstable has these .log files, 1 through 5, unlike just apparently plain old Starbound. I do happen to agree with you, I've seen the mod as being highlighted as outdated and such, I certainly would like for there to be a way to maintain it.

4. Alliance Human Male

I was able to copy the five .log files into the regular Starbound directory from Starbound - Unstable. That actually got regular Starbound to run. But still, no luck with the Mass Effect mod. I even have a character creation extension mod prepared for it, already extracted in the right mods directory. I don't wanna give up. Someone, please help if you can. It'd be greatly appreciated. c:

5. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

if you can get permission, assuming it is not already given, you can update the mod yourself, if you can

6. Alliance Human Male

That sounds awesome. The thing is, I'm not a modder. I think this needs to be brought to the attention of others as well. This is a good mod and it shouldn't just fade like this, I won't really accept that.

7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

That mod is so old, it would need to be rebuilt from scratch. There is nothing you can do, and since no permissions are set by default, it is assumed permission is not given.

8. Alliance Human Male

I'm now ultimately curious as to why this happens with this game. Never before have I seen mods for games be outdated like this. It's like it is just dismissed from access and recognition. It's a good mod, the only reason why I'd like to play Starbound in the first place. There should be no reason for it to cease. It should just exist for the obtaining. It's only about three years old by the way. Sure, that was a while ago, but it's not eons.

Perhaps this can be brought to the attention of certain staff. I never remember Team SMEE discontinuing, or disbanding, or anything like that.

9. Jerln

Jerln Oxygen Tank

In terms of how much the game has updated, it pretty much is eons. Sometimes mod creators just don't want to bother with updating a mod anymore, it happens for a lot of games. I'm not saying that's necessarily the case here though, because you said the creator didn't say anything about discontinuing support for the mod. If you can contact the creator they might update it.

10. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

It was made during alpha, so the core game structure was not finalized, so each update could have changed a lot, and sometimes it did. That is one of the drawbacks from modding a game that is still being developed. It isn't so much a problem now, but comparability issues do still exist at times.

This is not that unusual in modding games.

There is nothing any staff can do since the mod isn't theirs. Permission is ALWAYS denied unless otherwise stated. You can update the mod yourself, though technically still illegal, but you will never actually get in trouble for it, and distribution of that update is out of the question.