Differences between races?

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Elithal, Jan 9, 2018.

1. Elithal

Elithal Space Hobo

Hello everyone.

Didn't see a thread asking this yet. I was wondering if anyone knew if the 4 armies had differences between them or if it was just the generals? Thanks in advance.

• Chizuru Minamoto

Chizuru Minamoto Subatomic Cosmonaut

Asside from appearance, its only the generals having different powers. Unless they bring a specific buff to each faction depending on units or terrain (Which if they do I assume they'll put on generals, not on faction), all factions are the same so far.

ppm4587 likes this.
      • Elithal

Elithal Space Hobo

Ah, too bad. I could imagine different campaigns being very interesting if there was some sort of difference between the armies.

Thank you!

• Couch Tomato

Couch Tomato Aquatic Astronaut

It'd be cool if each faction had a unique unit. That's probably the minimum that can be done to make some kind of difference.

nacheteori likes this.
          • Chizuru Minamoto

On the other hand, there will be a custom campaign editor, so maybe you can make that a reality with it. We'll see.

It would be cool, but at the same time, it could also unbalance everything. Each specific unit would need to be just as powerful as the one in the other team, else only one team would always be picked.

• Couch Tomato

It could, but it's not particularly difficult. Unique units have been a feature of strategy games ranging from Dune II to Age of Empires to Civilization. It's at least a lot easier than asymmetric games like StarCraft (if someone could make an Advance Wars style asymmetric game, that would be a dream come true)

• Chizuru Minamoto

Want a good exemple? Command & Conquer : Red Alert. The Allies have a lot of defenses, but really bad units for the most part. While the Axis, while their units tends to be costier, they have the DREADFUL MAMMOTH TANKS THAT END EVERY SINGLE UNIT IN THE GAME! I never found the Allies to end up winning many fights against the Axis in that game...

Now, as for Advance Wars and alike, the balance in the game was done via commanders having different pros and cons, and a power... But the problem here, is some COs were completely useless, while others were just outright unstoppable.
                If we compare it to what they seem to have been doing with commanders in Wargroove, they give each a small power (Mercia could heal in a small radius around her instead of just healing soldiers hugging her I think, and Valder can call ONE skeleton soldier to the rescue... You tell me which one is technically better in an equal force combat), but they so far didn't have any other difference that are known... But lets not forget that in Wargroove the commanders also fight on the ground, and are a primary objective! Killing the commander or capturing the HQ of the enemy team are the ways to win! So that's also a thing to take into account when balancing the game... You don't want a commander to be unstoppable, you want the commander to feel strong to not fear sending them to fight, but also feel weak in case of wreckless gameplay, and it needs to be ensured that no commander is better than another in term of abilities, and that is already hard enough to balance (Since they do have at least 12 commanders, and so need 12 different powers that all need to be about equal).
                But, if they can make a unique unit per team, it could be interesting, but that might also be the commander... Only time will tell.

ppm4587 likes this.
                • Dessa

Dessa Intergalactic Tourist

They talk a good game about moddability. Let's hope they give us some mod tools.

• Couch Tomato

Red Alert isn't an example of a game with unique units... that's an asymmetric game (not as asymmetric as StarCraft, but still asymmetric). The unique unit mechanic is for games where factions have essentially the same units, with either additional unique units (as in Dune II) or replaced unique units (as in Age of Empires or Civilization).

An example of what can be done... For the Felheim Legion, the unique unit could be the necromancer, which raises undead units to fight. The undead units would be extremely weak, but can serve the purpose of shielding temporarily.

• Chizuru Minamoto

Yes, Red Alert is asymmetric, but the balance on that one was really off in my opinion, I really rarely saw Allies winning with their weak attack force... So I think it means there seems to be a problem perhaps? Having different units is okay but they really have to not destroy everything for one faction, and the other be kinda useless. I know that the balance of RA was supposed to be that Axis has costier (both in money and power) units and buildings, but more effective in combat... But in the end, unless maybe you sent an early team and managed to cripple the enemy's base... It was pretty hard for the Allies units to defend themselves... At least that's my experience of the game.

But again, I'm not against unique units, but they need to all be balanced with each other, or you run the risk of the team being played by everybody (Like Sturm in Advance Wars 2 who was broken... or even Hachi, which sure, they were "secret" characters... But they also gave a really unfair advantage...).

• GuardianJohnITA

GuardianJohnITA Void-Bound Voyager

I'm afraid that you are wrong, Couch Tomato......Red Alert is indeed a game with unique units......you can clearly see that on Red Alert 3 and Red Alert Mental Omega, with the 3 subfaction with their unique units for each of the 4 factions of the game: Allied Nations (USA, European Alliance, Pacific Front), Soviet Union (Russia, Latin Confederation, China), Epsilon Army (PsiCorps, Scorpion Cell and Epsilon Headquarters) and my favourite Foehn Revolt (Haihead, Wings of Coronia and Last Bastion).

I like the idea of unique units of Wargroove but I think that it will be a mod and not a content released by the develop team, because the very Valder, the leader of the Felheim Legion, is a necromancer :p

Weak attack force? Try to breach the defenses of the European Alliance or the long range artillery of the Pacific Front on Mental Omega, pal. Although I prefer to play with the Foehn Revolt with their nano-machines, advanced but limited infantry and wind technology, some of the Allies are not to be underestimated (can't say for sure for the USA, considering that they received quite a lesson from the Last Bastion, one of the subfaction of the Foehn Revolt).

There is quite a difference between RTS and TBS, Chizuru; of course, turn based strategy games are not like real time strategy games and they need to have balanced units so the only key to victory is the ability of the player.
                        I don't think that the CO Power will return on Wargroove but I can sure say that every commander will have their own strong points and weaknesses, so you can find the best CO that suits you more (we have to keep in mind to keep them alive after all).......and Sturm wasn't broken.....he was just....him :p .....and I hope that a black faction will make a return with Wargroove (I have also launched a discussion about the black faction inside Wargroove and a long campaign project for Wargroove).

• Chizuru Minamoto

I know that they aren't the same GuardianJohn... But its the best exemple I had. I had Command & Conquer Red Alert on PS1, and I don't mean to be naysaying the game, but I've always found that the Allies tended to lose in that one. Now maybe I don't recall correctly, its been way too many years for me to recall everything, and in other games, it was different, but still, from old memories, I really tend to recall their units being kinda weak, but they had a good defense at least (And cost wise, they could spam more units if I recall as well). I'm really talking only about that specific game :nurutease:.

Doesn't change the fact that unique units are a hassle to balance, in particular in turn based games, since as you said, there isn't anything about knowing how to multi-task or anything, its just you and your unit placement, just like chess. As I said, if one is powerful, then the other needs to feel just as strong, or nobody will play as the "weaker" one. I could have just thrown Starcraft in there, every team plays their own way with their own units, yet the game is... Balanced enough?

Yes... But still way too strong for a balanced fight, to the point it would be abusive to just play him all the time. BUT on the other hand, he was way cooler than... I don't know the english name of the bad guy in Dark Conflict/Days of Ruins in my opinion... As for a black faction, I don't mind the idea of having a big evil mastermind trying to destroy everybody from the shadows (...Basically Advance Wars' plot :nuruwink:), but at worst, you'll be able to make a custom campaign about it, if they don't end up doing just that :nuruhappy:

• GuardianJohnITA

Well.....at least you got an episode that was best selling and when the Command & Conquer series wasn't ruined by another company.......thank you very much EA.......:nurusad:

You got that right....he was much more cooler than Caulder (that is the name of the villain of Days of Ruin), to me it was like a sinister version of Darth Vader from Star Wars....true it was true strong, but remember that he doesn't have a normal CO Power and his take a quite a long before he can unleash his Meteor Strike.....if you can study your opponents, you'll eventually find their weaknesses.
                            I have little information about it, but it looks like that Chucklefish may have plans for a black faction on Wargroove (as I saw on the PAX West trailer and discussed on my discussion, I even caught the attention of one of the members of Chucklefish because of it) but also I want to hear a theme for each of the commanders like Advance Wars :nuruhappy:

• Chizuru Minamoto

Ah, EA... The best company ever, said nobody. Electronic Arts was okay at the time of the Megadrive/Genesis and such... But they killed so many licences, so many developper teams... Look at Maxis in its current time... Maxis is dead... They killed Simcity since Simcity 4, Spore lasted about a year and a half, and they tried to make Darkspore, which was so bad EA removed it from sales anywhere pretending it didn't exist... AND STOPPED SUPPORTING THE CONNECTION SERVERS A YEAR LATER, WITHOUT DISABLING THE CONNECTION RECQUIREMENT, so it effectively means they took the money, and ran off with it... And the Sims 4... I'm not gonna talk about the Sims 4. EA has done a few great things... But damn, I'm glad its Valve ruling over video game sales with Steam :nuruflirt: (Yes, I'm a huge defender of Valve, or also Bethesda if you wonder... But that's getting off topic).

Thank you, I had forgotten the name in english. Being french, for whatever reason, almost every names are different! (I think, without exaggerating, that the only name they kept for the COs between French and English... was Lin). In french, he is called Stolos, its really confusing when you're searching on the internet...

I saw the thread, looked a bit through it, but didn't participate in it. But if it caugh the attention of people at Chucklefish, then maybe there's something behind that. Personnaly, the ? in the middle of the menu, I thought was going to be Nuru, but then Jay responded to me saying that Nuru was actually going to be in the Green team, because they decided to make a Floran team. So my only wonder about the Floran team is "Will the other commanders be characters in Starbound? Maybe in the 1.4?" :nurutease:. It would make sense that the ? is not a random selection for the campaign mode in my opnion, but hey, wait and see.
                              As for general themes... At least we know the Team's themes (That's a lot of "Tims"). Since the theme of the game has multiple portions with different instruments, and each get the picture of one of the commanders associated, so we can probably guess the style of each commanders might stay in these type of instruments depending on their team? Either way, I'm sure the musics will be enjoyable!

• GuardianJohnITA

And don't forget Mass Effect of BioWare......that trilogy could have been a large success similar to Star Wars, but EA ruined it with that disaster called Mass Effect Andromeda (They even took out the Quarians who were my favourite race!)......the same fate will happen even with SWTOR if this keeps up (I really loved how BioWare did with KOTOR)........Spore was one of my best games I ever had and deserved a sequel but EA got to it first....and smashed it to the ground.....EA even created Origin, trying to keep up with Valve's Steam, but it was already a disaster from the start and only to keep ''their'' games for themselfes, while taking out even good free to play games such as Battlefield Heroes....
                                Wait a minute......Stolos?! That's how us Italians also call him......I guess that for European release makes sense :nuruneutral: and yes, the only one who didn't have her name changed was Lin.
                                Uhm.....personally I think so too that Chucklefish is hiding something for the ? on the campaign mode (it's not the main menu, Chizuru); it's doubtful that the Floran Tribes will have outsiders as their commanders.......one of the commanders other than Nuru could possibly be the greenfinger who teached her to respect life or a greenfinger who follows those ideas.....the third commander should be the other side of the coin of the Florans: one who lives for hunting and a savage Floran (if you look carefully the Floran Archer, it reminded me the masked Floran Cannibals or Hunters who you encounter on Starbound).
                                Wait, what? Team's themes? That's a surprise for me to hear....how can you be so sure about it? (the only theme of Wargroove for now is the prototype of the main menu) Well I can say for sure that the theme of the Floran Tribes is all about percussion instruments, because I've visited a Floran village on Starbound and they do enjoy playing music with those instruments:nuruhappy:

• Chizuru Minamoto

Hahaha... Origin... They actually stole my copy of Spore with it, claimed my Spore key didn't exist... That's probably enough to tell what I think of their platform.

Oh so Italians call him Stolos too? Are the other characters named the same? (In order in the character CO selection screen : Ed, O'Brian, Lin, Catleïa, Zadia, Trak, Carter, Finn, Sigismundo, Lili, Larissa, and Stolos).

Basically, if you check the video of the prototype Main theme, on the bottom left of the video, each time the instruments change, there is a picture of a different commander (Mercia, Tenri, Ragna, and finally Nuru)... Why would the commander pictures be in sync, if not to show the "Instruments of each team" if you get what I mean. I even guessed Tenri would have an asian influence due to that music (Which the unit's design seem to confirm so far anyway). I'll even leave the video here so you can check without searching. Now maybe its just for the prototype and they'll do something completely different, but from that video alone, it seems they aim to having specific instruments to each team.

• GuardianJohnITA

Amen to that.....they did the same with me....pretending that my Spore key didn't exist....
                                    Yep.....precisely the same with no exception Chizuru :nurutease:
                                    Uhm.....your judgement is not wrong about the main theme, Chizuru; there is always a different style and instrument to each of the commanders so far and it's doubtful that it's just a coincidence (it appears that the theme for the black faction will be still a mystery to us).
                                    Speaking of teams, I've made just recently a new thread about the units of Wargroove that we saw so far, uncluding some that are not still announced, along with their Modern War counterparts, go check it out! :nuruwink:

• Chizuru Minamoto

Another of my friend got that as well, and its pretty shameless that EA can do that and nothing happens... But hey I wont go swearing around... lets just say EA ranks pretty high up on the trash pile, lets keep it to that :nuruevil:

Maybe they composed one version of the game's theme for each team and it will stick to the main menu depending on what team you played last? Who knows... We'll see whenever they make announcements, or the game comes out anyway.

• GuardianJohnITA

Like if they care of what us fans we say about their games.......just think on Star Wars Battlefront 2.....we were so sick with the loot boxes and to have the chance for equal fights.....and what happens? They add them on the second game, they make excuses about it, they promise to remove it and then they walk away like nothing happened.....and even Disney got involved in this situation....*facepalm*
                                        I hope that they spent each day they have to make Wargroove an epic game because the waiting for news or the release it's killing me......they already missed the 2017 promised release :nurutease: