Dialogue and Portrait symbols question

Discussion in 'Mods' started by Sabreene, Oct 29, 2017.

1. Sabreene

Sabreene Astral Cartographer

Hi :) I'm fairly new to Stardew (just started playing it this month) and to modding for it (lol, obviously, since I just started the game!) I think I've checked most threads, and have pulled apart quite a few xnb files to read how things work, but I'm stuck on a tiny thing for dialogue.

Is there a file someplace that equates the symbols used in the dialogue to the portrait? I know the basic ones : $a (angry), $s (sad), $l (love/blush), $h (happy), and I've read that there's $u, for unique, but I'm not sure which portrait that would be.

I've also seen $6 $7 $8 and $9 in the dialogue, but I'm not sure how to tell which portrait it goes to. I've tried counting the panes up and down or from side to side going down, but the numbers don't seem to correlate to the tone of the dialogue they were used in.

I only have one save game so far, so haven't done too much checking in game. If there isn't something known or something I can look up, I'll just experiment with the marriage dialogue, and make the person go through all the symbols! lol!

Thanks for any help!

• Savertin

Savertin Void-Bound Voyager

You were right at the potraits. You just have to start counting with 0 instead of 1 :)

• Sabreene

Sabreene Astral Cartographer

Ahhh, I never would have thought of starting with 0. That solves it, thank you!