Devs, would you like infinite story for minimal work?

Discussion in 'Side Quests' started by CapnSlappy, Jul 31, 2015.

?

Do you think the creative power of the fanbase can fill out Starbound's story?

1. Yes, that makes total sense!

29 vote(s)
    85.3%
  2. No, I hate compelling narratives!

5 vote(s)
    14.7%
  1. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I get that they want lore to be a surprise... but if they showed "sneak peeks" of what theyre doing, maybe even like a picture of a bookcase full of unnamed lore books, these complaints wouldnt exist. Right now, what CF's showing everyone is maggots and furniture. Don't get me wrong, I get the whole artists doing simple, fun stuff thing. It's just that that's all we're seeing. Maybe release some partially done heavy stuff, like the way the Ark is- you can tell its going to be awesome, and it invites a lot of speculation and interest in the game, but doesnt spoil much. As of now, we have no proof or motivation of the x time later "big updates," and that irritates people who expected that.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

There will always be complaints, like someone complaining about lack of depth for the Hylotl despite CF just announcing they were working specifically on the hylotl. There will always be complaints. That is a fact of life.

3. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

True, true. But what we need is something like "hey, you dont like hylotl? heres some pics of the big changes we're doing to them, and you can play with some new stuff in nightly!" The hylotl being boring is a legitimate complaint, based on gameplay and even reading through online info. Vague blog posts and hazy predictions aren't going to dispel legitimate complaints. For example, I don't like the Hylotl, even after playing as one. For what they are atm, theyre not that interesting, especially having no generated structures. Yeah, we got a pic of that house, but meh, its a house. Soemone looking for info on hylotl plans, right now, scrolling through the information that CF puts out about development, see nothing solid about them. Yeah, they said somewhere or another the hylotl are getting changed. What changes, we dont know. Getting houses? New furniture? And again, the blog shows these main characters getting small changes, and trivial, unrelated "stuff" added. Though i do like maggot man, hes cool

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

That is exactly what they did. You can check out hylotl villages in nightly right now.

They've said they are working on combat mechanics and other things which evade memory. Its early.

5. honestkiddy

honestkiddy Void-Bound Voyager

I like this idea on quests very much. Played another game online which has similar aspects (where different special areas/dungeons has npcs that give out quests specific to the area) and I like it alot as it encourages more exploration.

Also I have another idead which is:

So I feel that other than the main story quest, about the boss fights and stuff, there should be a long quest about the character's origins and their aims. [For e.g how each race reached their spaceship and started their journey, and how it is going to proceed] So that the players can have a better engagement in the game.

Maybe perhaps a quest : ((Example only))
    For humans: Earth exploded recently (destroyed by a giant alien monster) and human were sent in escape pods and they want to get revenge on the boss and than finally building up their civilisation/colony on another planet again.
    For novakids: Their species were into treasure hunting, so the planet sent the novakids through the planet when they were young to forage for treasures. When they finally find their specific treasures they need to find, they would then be given the coordinates of their planet to return to build a planet of rare treasures.
    For other races: Different stories (Maybe we could come up for the different stories for each race that could be placed into the game as a side-ish main story)

Any thoughts on this subject please comment.

6. Joseph the wanderer

Joseph the wanderer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hey guess what, WISH GRANTED! DIRECTOR MODE HAS BEEN ANNOUNCED!