Modding Help Developing a mod is only about editing .config file ? (and more questions)

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Zombitch, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Zombitch

Zombitch Space Hobo

Hi,

I would like to make a simple quest mod, so I looked for some tutorials, and I only found tuto that explain how to replace a weapon by another custom weapon. And all we have to do is to edit .config file.

My questions are :

- Is there a way to develop a mod thanks to c++ language (like making a minecraft plugin developing in java language) ?
    - Is there a way to add an item/quest instead of replacing an existing item/quest ?

If there are positives answer to my questions, could you share a tutorial or documentation link that explain how to do it ?

Thanks ;)

Regards

2. APXEOLOG

APXEOLOG Void-Bound Voyager

You can easily add new item / quest. No need to replace. Just create new file with new uniq objectName, it would be automatically parsed by game.

You cannot develop mods in c++, the game supports lua scripts (but they are not as functional as they should be yet)

3. Soulweaver

Soulweaver Void-Bound Voyager

For the first question, Starbound's source code is not available to us at this moment, so I guess the only way to make a mod that way is to somehow decompile the game and just the inject a dll file into the game. But why do that when Starbound's modding system is so easy! There are ways to add items and quests instead of replacing and that is making use of the Starbound modding system. Here are some tutorials that have been added so far to Starbound, http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/modding-guides.34001/.

4. Zombitch

Zombitch Space Hobo

Thanks for your replies guys.

@Soulweaver

I didn't mean to have access to starbound's source code. But a C++ starbound SDK could be a good thing ;-) . However it seems we can write lua script so it should help to making mod.

@APXEOLOG

Do you have a tutorial in order to write lua script for starbound ? (something like a documentation with classes and attributes available)

5. MorpH

MorpH Subatomic Cosmonaut

6. Zombitch

Zombitch Space Hobo

Nice, I will take a look. Thanks a lot.

7. MorpH

MorpH Subatomic Cosmonaut

Just remember, it is very limited right now. There is no way (that we know of at least) to start Lua scripts at runtime, so that is out. There's hardly anything else we can besides making spawners or messing with AI and adding new techs. Maybe some more, just not as free as it will be later on.

8. APXEOLOG

APXEOLOG Void-Bound Voyager

9. Zombitch

Zombitch Space Hobo

Yeah , I found your tutorial after asking my question ^^ . Thanks.