Develop Stardew Valley

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Bothanique, May 6, 2018.

1. Bothanique

Bothanique Space Hobo

I hope and want you to develop Stardew Valley more such as We can go to travel ZuZu city with our family, Our children can be teenager for study, work and have family by themselves :) Thank you for read.

• Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Moved to Stardew Valley Discussion. The Website and Forum Support subforum is used for issues with the website and forums, not Stardew Valley.

Venatio777 likes this.
      • Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

Not to tread on your hopes, but I seem to recall CA stating that he was moving on to another game. It makes sense, since he dropped several years of life into SDV.

Not that quite a few of us wouldn't like to see what you express above happen. ;)

Fuzzyman and Venatio777 like this.
        • Venatio777

Venatio777 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Certainly not much of an original post to go on.

But as Borodin said, the time and effort that would have been needed to make new lands and environs was wisely spent on making an entirely new game called Witchbrook.

If you think about it, this makes sense. For starters, consider that we often can't leave our farms unattended very long if we have crops, animals or artisan goods to look after. Not to mention the need to constantly curtail our schedule to meet villagers we still want to befriend. This creates an imperative to make content either in town or in the surrounding areas.

The newly added Night Market is a wonderful example. It's basically an entire outlet mall that anchors off your neighborhood dock. So we don't need to go to Zuzu City for shopping (in theory). But you see where I am going with this. Don't get me wrong, I too wanted this same thing but then I realized my priorities with this title were misplaced.

More info on Witchbrook below:
          http://www.ign.com/articles/2018/03...-magic-school-rpg-officially-named-witchbrook

Imagine, if you will, everything you love about Stardew Valley but without a massive plot of land or constantly wavering friendship hearts to worry about. That's what I hope Witchbrook brings us. Hell, I'm going to just pretend that this new character is one of my kids from Stardew Valley who I sent away to learn magic. If not directly in-world, there will probably be casual references ;)

However, I would support an expansion of npc relationships with some end goal in mind. In some Harvestmoon Games, npc would often marry each other if the player didn't seal the deal with a marriage proposal first. It was certainly quite vexing, but it did add more life to the town. So perhaps as the years go by, some npc characters would date and eventually marry. Kids should grow. Some npc might move away. Others could, well, die. Mind you, it stretches credibility that most players would play to see any of this considering most don't even play long enough to have kids - stopping at year 3 or 5 after establishing yourself is quite normal. So perhaps enough content to cover seven years would be more than enough, though your kids would still be too young for farm work. Then again, it would take too long to see all this.

My most ambitious proposal would be an endgame event revolving around the war occurring within the setting. Like the battles ramp up in year 4 and the player is tasked with contributing to the war effort with crops or other goods. Contribute enough to the war effort in the allotted time and get some kind of civilian award, or even shift the balance entirely to help your side. It would certainly be more exciting to look forward to than buying a Gold Clock.

Heck, get your spouse involved: Shane can help with chickens, Haley can send pictures, Maru can probably become Iron Man and destroy the enemy (jk). But yah, add some variability so spouses are an asset and not just part of a checklist.

Last edited: May 7, 2018
          • Lilliput

Lilliput Supernova

Please bear in mind that while Witchbrook is being released through Chucklefish, Eric Barone (Concernedape) is /not/ involved in that game in any way as far as the article you linked states. Chucklefish is a distributer, but not the developer of Stardew Valley. CA has not, to my knowledge, announced anything concrete concerning his plans for his next game after Stardew. While Witchbrook may turn out to be a wonderful game-- and I wish them luck-- it has no connection to anything CA is currently planning.

blOgre and BentFX like this.
            • Venatio777

Venatio777 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Oh, my mistake.

I suppose that means we can hold out hope for at least one more major update to single player, at least on par with 1.3. Though to be fair, a large amount of effort had gone into the new multiplayer feature with that update. I would like to imagine that standard single player additions could be a breeze compared to that.

Mind you, I would be more than willing to pay for new additions for the game. Either way, I am dearly hoping for the ability to paint our farm buildings one day.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

• BentFX

BentFX Cosmic Narwhal

I think CA want's to move on, but I also don't believe that means SDV is dead. As @Borodin says he could hire a team to continue development. Honestly, at this point, he could sell it for a decent profit. Especially with the surge of renewed interest that MP has brought, it doesn't make any kind of business sense to not build the franchise.

• Borodin

Borodin Oxygen Tank

That's a good point, the one about franchises. SDV started as a labor of love (to coin a phrase), so I doubt CA would want to continue it past the point where it's ceased to be fun, and on its way to becoming a chore. Doesn't mean, however, that he wouldn't sell the assets in some form to someone who can maintain the quality and seek to expand the game. We can only hope.

Last edited: May 9, 2018