OOC Derika, Land of the Gifted

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by Mattie_, Jul 27, 2014.

1. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

What is a mutation? Is it a term for a gift that is physical? And is this always on him/her. If someone would have wings as a gift would he/she grow them when he/she wants to fly or does he/she have them always?

No one has picked fire, lightning or flying!? What is this whichery!

2. Ryik

Ryik Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Mutation is just another term used. (Gift, ability, power, etc)

This RP allows for quite a lot of creative liberties. If you wanted a character to have wings, then you could choose for them to materialize, for your character to sprout wings, (and then lose them) for the wings to be a permanent physical feature, for the wings to be an illusion, etc.

This RP had migrated from another forum, and many returning RPers are either slow to the uptake, late to the party, or just plain won't be returning. I myself possess characters with abilities that have to do with flying, fire, and electricity, but that doesn't mean you cannot get an ability like that.

To be clear, there doesn't need to be that big a difference for an ability to be considered unique. In fact, unless the abilities are fundamentally the same, they count as unique. Izuna is not the only cat person for example.

3. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

Thanks. Could a gift be used for multiple purposes. If someone's gift would be to control gravity, could he/she use it on him self to fly and to levitate objects? Or would that be two gifts?

I was just suprised that no one has picked flying, fire, or lightning yet, because someone almost always has them.

4. mas0n99

mas0n99 Starship Captain

Im pretty sure the whole gravity gift while /not/ be accepted...We already had someone from the old rp thread and their character had the same power(I think) and they were allowed to keep it for the reason they joined when the rp had a different owner, But all in all, I really doubt Gravity will be accepted for a gift, Your gift has to be something you want but it cannot be OP =I

5. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

It was just an example, but would something similar but not so op be counted as one or two gifts?

6. mas0n99

mas0n99 Starship Captain

With the power like gravity you would be called in my opinion, Unstoppable, You can only have one gift but I would try making your app since I cant really give you my full opinion unless I see what you have in mind =I

7. Ryik

Ryik Scruffy Nerf-Herder

You can have whatever ability you want, and how your character can use their ability is up to you. You get to select how encompassing your ability is and all the rules for it.. (Then I tell you if it's overpowered.)

You're on the right track. Gravity manipulation here and gravity manipulation there is still gravity manipulation. Unacceptable would be more along the lines of Gravity manipulation here and pyrokinesis there.

As for the existing gravity manipulation character, he garnered notoriety OOC due to the fact that he had a tendency to constantly slaughter countless amounts of mooks. He got away with a technicality on his app that made him hilariously overpowered.

Not that he even comes close to some of my characters.
    Full explanation will be given when I have the list organized*

8. TachyonBlade

TachyonBlade Phantasmal Quasar

What do you feel about Medium levels of regeneration?

9. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

I usualy roll with a shy character (It is a disadvantage not a way to make him cooler.) But i have not yet decided anything.

10. m0k0n4

m0k0n4 Ketchup Robot

You know, I might actually - and I likely will - write a character with a Gift that theoretically potentially reaches Reality Warper levels of brokenness, weighed down by logical restrictions and illogical restrictions to the best of my abilities. Plus low levels of experience.
    But, well, I guess I should stop yapping and start writing.

Also, I'm not American or even anywhere very close to it, so I'll just assume the general public knows enough about what the ETG does. And maybe more, if rumors and gossip can spread.

-Trace on!-

11. mas0n99

mas0n99 Starship Captain

We had someone like that, Regenerative abilities are allowed but make sure it has a weakness as a example, Maybe the person has to eat something or have a full stomach to be able to regenerate or something along those lines, Btw, Remembering back then if you were unsure about the Gift you were wanting to choose you could always ask Mattie or Ryik they'll just need info on it.

12. Stu and Improved

Stu and Improved Spaceman Spiff

Name: Luis "Gaskammer" Tarmoghoyf

Gender Male:

Gift (Power): Luis is constantly emitting a field of gas around him in about a nine-foot radius (unless it's being obstructed by his suit), with concentration of gas around his mouth and hands. He can change what type of gas it is (only between different toxins, unfortunately), but can't increase or decrease how much is being put out. He is also functionally immune to almost every poison known to man.

Weaknesses and Limits: As a result of his 'gift', Luis is dangerous to be around for extended periods of time, and, were he exposed to fire or intense heat, would likely burst into flame, depending on what sort of gas he was generating. Although Luis can breathe poisonous gas with no adverse effects, it's still not a very good substitute for air, and as such he is required to purge the air in his suit every so often, which is extremely hazardous to people around him.

Appearance: [​IMG]

Personality: We'll see what develops.

History: Luis was born in Dresden, in Germany. He was always interested in the military as a child, and joined the German Armed Forces on his eighteenth birthday. He served for seven years, then retired from active duty to attempt to get treatment for the Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder he'd gotten. As Derika was thrust into the public eye, Luis decided he would go there and see if he could help, in any little way he could. After all, neutrality wouldn't help them if the ETG struck again. He bought a small boat, and through a healthy dose of luck, made ground in Derika. The first thing he did was apply for citizenship. The second thing? Join the Army. Now he's working a checkpoint on the bridge, and happy in the knowledge that he's finally contributing to the world again.

Equipment: A military-grade HAZMAT suit with mask, an AS VAL personal defense weapon, a CZ-75 pistol, a combat knife, and some granola bars if he gets hungry.

13. MilkCalf

MilkCalf Supernova

After a fight with my phone i managed to do this on a computer:

Name:Colin
    Gift:(Physical)He has a reptile form consisting of a 1 meter long whip-like tail and scales all over his body (he still has his hair). His scales make him somewhat tougher. He can withstand high temperatures, even in his normal form, but his scales are resistant to fire. He can run at the speed of a car in his reptile form.
    Weaknesses and limits: He can't withstand cold attacks (both forms), and is hurt an slowed by them, he is okay with cold temperatures. If he runs at nearly his top speed he might run in to things if there isn't a lot of room (like inside buildings). He has not yet learned to make his tail disapear, and is not yet used to his tail, making him sometimes accidentaly hit things with it. Because he is not used to his tail he doesen't protect it very well and its possible to grab it.
    Appearance:Slim. Short brown hair. Green eyes. Light green scales.
    History:Before anyone knew about his gift, he had a normal life. Two weeks ago he had another normal lesson. He was thinking about last night's snake documentary on TV, and his teacher started staring at him. He couldn't see anything wrong with him, until other people on the class started pointing at something behind him. He saw that there was a tail. He jumped on his feet in suprice. He heard his teacher talking on a phone about taking him. He ran out of the class and saw armed men coming up the stairs. He went up the stairs all the way on the roof. He jumped from rooftop to rooftop, he didn't notice that the reason he was able to jump so far was because he was running faster than before. With luck he was able to find a ship full of other gifted heading for Brinkhaven.
    Equipment:Clothes and a phone

Last edited: Jul 30, 2014
  14. Chocolate Cake

Chocolate Cake Space Spelunker

Hi, I'm one of the returning roleplayers. Are we still going to be using the wiki?
    Also, for anyone who wants to check out the existing/past characters, the mostly complete character list is on there.

I'll probably ditch all my characters except Vilks.

App:

Name: Vilks.

Gift:
    Vilks has the power to turn into a wolf. This may seem underpowered compared to all the shapeshifters out there, but its not just a normal wolf. No, Vilks has bulletproof fur and claws that can tear out your intestines without effort. And, on occasion these come in handy. Vilks can turn into this on will, usually taking about five to ten seconds to transform. He can run faster, smell and hear better in this state, and obtains powers of quick regeneration of wounds.

Whenever he sees the full moon, be it real or a picture/video, Vilks will turn into a much different kind of wolf. All intelligent parts of his brain will be put on standby, and the parts for killing and surviving are on hyperdrive. All his senses are heightened, and he hits harder, runs faster, and kills even easier than ever before. All in all, he is the perfect killing machine. Except he has no way of telling who is friend and who is foe; so you may want to look out.

Weaknesses: See above paragraph.

Appearance: Vilks' pretty tall, standing at nearly two metres, so he out-heights most people. He has tangled blonde hair, that seems to be turning towards brown, slightly longer than a buzz cut. Green eyes, and sometimes sunglasses. He tends to wear black clothes, and sports shoes. As a wolf, he is about two and a half metres long, with silver fur. His eyes remain the same. Really bad description, sorry.

Personality: Doesn't talk a lot. Bluh, I'm even worse at personalities than I am at appearances.

History:
    Before Everything-

Vilks was born as an only child, living in a small village near the border of Canada. His father was a part-time teacher and his mother was a washerwoman. His mother died in childbirth, and his father spent most of the first few years of Vilks life grieving. Luckily, he snapped out of it when Vilks was three, getting a permanent job to pay for Vilk's food and care.

Vilks survived until he was five, when his father sent him to school at the local classes. He was an exceptional student, often scoring high grades, but maybe that was just because the other classmates were really dumb. Little Dermains didn't exactly have a reputation for turning out rocket scientists.

When he was ten, Vilks made his first change, surprising his father. Luckily, as it was his first change he had no idea what he was doing, and only killed two chickens before his father restrained him. His father revealed a secret to Vilks- the Gifted gene ran in the family. He himself was a skilled Shadow Manipulator, and his grandfather had been a Teleporter.

His father tried to help him control it, but five months later Vilks made his first full-strength change. He went on a murderous rampage around the village. More than twenty villagers succumbed to his claws before the rising sun changed him back. As you might have guessed, the villagers weren't too happy about that. They killed Vilks father, trapping him in their house and burning it down, before chasing Vilks out of the villahge with the stereotypical pitchforks and torches.

Vilks escaped their garden implements and settled down in a small clearing of a forest, where he would hunt daily for fish and small mammals in his wolf form. It was there where he swore he would 'Do no more harm.' He managed by himself for six years, eventually learning to control his non-moon changes properly.

When he was sixteen, he decided that he couldn't spend his whole life in a forest, living as a hermit. He said goodbye to his clearing and left it forever. After roaming a small town for a year, he was discovered by an undercover ETG officer, who reported it to superiors.

They came for him in the night, a squad of ten elites. They couldn't be too careful with such a powerful Gifted. Under the light of the full moon, they sneaked into an abandoned apartment where he was said to have stayed. There was nothing there. They headed back, after a swift investigation of the room, but found there path blocked by Vilks, rabid and definately not happy to find intruders in his home.

In his bloodthirsty state, Vilks showed no mercy and there were soon ten bodies lying dead on the floor. This only seemed to attract the ETG to him more, probably hoping to create a race of super soldiers or something. They eventually captured him with the help of a helicopter and sedative, and he was taken back to the base for examination.

He was imprisoned by them for over three years, until he decided that he would have to go against his oath and break out. Snapping his cuffs and transforming, Vilks annihilated over half the base and escaped, freeing more than ten other imprisoned Gifted on the way.

He eventually found his way to the City, where he settled.

In the city he did shenanigans for the extent of the roleplay which I can;t be bothered checking, since I can't remember what I wrote a year and a half ago.
    In the city, more shenangians. Stuff happened. Now he's in Derika. Where he was before.

15. guguy123

guguy123 Pangalactic Porcupine

Name: Lenard Minc

Gift (Mental) : Mind Control. He is very convincing and can cause people to make choices they wouldn't necessarily make normally. When at its full effect he can also read minds, although this is generally difficult to do.

Weaknesses and Limits: Resistance is determined by a combination of the target's willpower (determination) and physical strength. At its weakest it is like a suggestion from a close friend, at its strongest it is full out mind control, every breath is at his whim. He can use it by accident but wierdly cannot use it subconsciously, meaning that when he stops focusing on it , it stops working. Some kind of contact is also necessary, speech works (even recorded messages) but is less effective than eye contact(which can be silent). A combination of all these limits makes it a lot weaker on Gifted, especially extra powerful ones.
    (As a final note, while it does work on large crowds, it's much less effective, which makes it hard to fight off groups)

Appearance: He wears a black jacket and a blank blue t-shirt underneath as well as jeans. He has messy hair that looks like he hasn't combed in 8 years and wears cheap headphones wirelessly linked to his Z-Watch.

Personality: He has a very outgoing personality, although most of what he says is lies, (including sometimes his name). He has a chirpy, annoying voice and usually a grin on his face, which is also quite annoying. Despite this, his Gift helps him appear very charismatic and friendly. He is also quite immoral, not things like killing, but he does break the laws here and there, doing things like shoplifting. In the face of real danger it is quite easy to see he is a coward and will panic and run whenever possible. Oddly enough he sounds like he is always sarcastic and lying to you but his Gift makes up for it.
    That's all I got right now but I will develop his personality through the RP.

History: Born in New York as an only child, his early years were fairly normal and uninteresting. Scoring average grades, having a normal social life, (albeit accidentally using his Gift here and there). He discovered his Gift at the age of 17 when a cop caught him speeding. He managed to talk the policeman into handcuffing himself onto a pole and giving him his badge, which would be in the trash can a few hours later. After discovering his ability he began to use it for personal purposes, raising his grades and getting a part time job as a telemarketer (with largely fantastic results for the company). He was arrested for trying to convince a man to give him his Z-Watch, which he did succeed in doing, and was sentenced to 2 years in jail (This may be inaccurate but I am not a criminal and don't know the actual sentence for something like this). Terrified of going to prison, he fled to Derika, and got a job as a TV spokesperson in Brinkhaven although he spends much time in outskirt villages buying things at lower prices. Since his arrest he has been actively hunted by the ETG.

Equipment: He carries a knife which he rarely uses, hidden in his jacket, but it is made of an alloy with enough odd materials to not be noticed in metal detectors. Other then that he has his stolen, now reset, Z-Watch, his clothes, and some money.

16. _Maximus?

_Maximus? Orbital Explorer

Hwat is this silliness. I'll post an app sometime tomorrow. Just ya know postin. I might make an alternate version of Maximilian. Same-ish power of Biokinesis. Maybe
    Your character's weaknesses leaves a lot of holes that could be manipulated. Your explanations are very vague. And from personal experience leaving something to willpower is not a smart idea, because a character can just summon willpower from some unknown source just because someone wants them to.
    Your weakness is not a weakness. Being dangerous is not a weakness. And the burst into flames thing is only a sometimes weakness so I'm not counting that.

17. mas0n99

mas0n99 Starship Captain

Uhm, Stu I have a question, Do you mean that if he still has his suit on he cant spread the poison or..do you really mean its literally surrounding his whole body...That Radius seems REALLY big and I personally dont see why they would allow someone with that dangerous of a ability, I dont personally think he could have that equipment either...

Reason I dont think they would let him in Brinkhaven:
    1. He would've probably killed the enter boat filled of Gifted people on the way to Derika
    2. The people watching the gate most likely wouldn't allow someone who basicly could just...walk inside and kill everyone...
    3. That Equipment is some serious stuff...I dont get how he could get that equipment even if he was in the Military

Suggestion:
    Maybe for his gift he could shoot the Toxin's from himself instead of having such a dangerous radius that would just kill everyone in Brinkhaven?

18. samsan99

samsan99 Space Spelunker

That seems more like mental/subconscious suggestion rather than mind control maybe write it up more like that? and try not to reply on other willpower overall it can hard to judge and can be pulled out of no where. Could be that he can leave the suggestion with in anyone's mind but its weak but can be strengthened by him to effect actions for the more 'stronger willed' people

19. Stu and Improved

Uh, he's not fireproof. And I gotta say, if you literally can't be around people without wearing an airtight suit, that's not exactly a strength, is it?

20. Stu and Improved

1. If he has his airtight suit on, the toxins can't escape and people around him won't die or be otherwise inconvenienced, yes.
    2. I suppose you're right.
    3. Wait, how is it too serious for the military? It's literally a sub-machine gun, a semi-automatic pistol, and a knife.