Derelict Ships

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by CaptainFoxx, Nov 23, 2017.

1. CaptainFoxx

CaptainFoxx Pangalactic Porcupine

So one thing that always fascinated me were the asteroid belts in the system navigation interface. Despite the variety of planets and random encounters for roaming ships and anomalies that you could stumble across, there doesnt seem much for asteroid fields aside from sparse chunks of meteorite rock and minimal ores.

I recall in earlier builds of the game that meteorite clusters were more packed together, some of the larger ones may have a chance to contain an old abandoned mining center, but those have been phased out for some reason.

So my idea is this: A player who runs their navigation cursor over an asteroid field may come across something that pings their cursor as something their ship can travel to, giving the tooltip "A <small, medium, large> sized mass of non-native metals has been detected in this region. Scans indicate this mass is disproportionate to the surrounding asteroids. Investigation recommended."

Turns out such an area would contain one to three broken down, damaged, destroyed ships the player can explore, loot, or even bookmark to have an asteroids base if they so choose, and by that extention, make searching asteroid belts more interesting.

Yanazake, alexACE and Gasboy like this.
  2. SickSix

SickSix Lucky Number 13

Yes. I am all for making space more interesting. And there needs to be a way to scavenge some of the nice looking assets used in ship and anomalie encounters.

3. lobsterbash

lobsterbash Poptop Tamer

Or even better: Slap a space deed in that pirate ship you just commandeered, or that abandoned mining ship. Be able to turn it into a space station for cheap. Perhaps, have the option to add it to your space ship fleet, for whatever reason or purpose introduced to the game.

There are so many goddamned possibilities with Starbound.

Gasboy likes this.