1. When making a thread, please tag your thread accordingly using the menu to the left of the textfield where you name your thread where applicable. Server Advertisements and Mod Releases should be contained to their respective subforums.

Server Discussion [DEPRECATED] StarDanksCMS

Discussion in 'Multiplayer' started by danks_, Dec 26, 2013.

1. AbbyTheRat

AbbyTheRat Aquatic Astronaut

Awesome job, danks ^_^ Awesome job.

2. danks_

danks_ Existential Complex

Thanks abby c:

I wish more people would use the CMS, so, I might start working on StarryPy based functions, like changing the MOTD from the website, I know starrypy has its own way to sort bans and ranks and I'll see what I can do about that.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2014
  3. AbbyTheRat

AbbyTheRat Aquatic Astronaut

One idea.. is to test to see if starrypy is installed, if it is then switch to their function. It might work more cleanly otherwise use your own. That way, people can pick to use starrypy or still have a fully working website without any add-on. *shrug* brainstorm ideas

4. danks_

Lost interest on that, I'll keep this vanilla friendly.

5. danks_

I've been thinking of some new things to add to the website, sadly, the current state of the vanilla server and the current state of StarryPy don't really allow me of doing a lot of what I want to do, at least not in a fashionable way or that would make practical sense.

One of my ideas, was to add a Character panel to the website for the servers running StarryPy, given that, to some extend, player data (character name and UUID) is stored on the starrypy database, I could think of a way for users to validate that they own that character. (For example, by giving the website the first 8 characters of your UUID)
    What good would this be? I've already been asked by 2 different people to create some sort of Player World backup function, to either backup/restore all of the protected worlds, let the players backup/restore their protected worlds and even maybe let the players download the .world files from their respective owned planets.

Having a character list and linking character to whitelist/website and allowing administrators to easily see who is who and would open up possible new features.

Another few things I wish I could add to the website are ways to update the MOTD from the website, sadly that data is saved inside the config.json of the starrypy wrapper, making it impossible for it to be modified by anything other than the wrapper when the wrapper is running. I also don't find it practical to be messing with a core file.

It's seriously sad that I can't add new features because both the vanilla server an the wrapper are not only updated rarely, the way data is stored is just so unpractical. There's so much that could be done.

6. teihoo

teihoo Ketchup Robot

Well these 2 things were not designed to work together, and some configurations are stored where they were originally put by Carrots I suppose. I don't see much point into rearranging stuff in StarryPy now, since we'll try to create something that can handle stuff better than python. But for the new configuration, we'll think of a better way to manipulate data from wrapper via StarDanks CMS for example. But its to early to say anything in particular, I'll just keep a note on this and let you know when you can experiment with it.

All in all its the lack of progress on Starbound side I agree, most things have become fairly quiet around here.

7. ReaZaaa

ReaZaaa Intergalactic Tourist

I got an error while trying to download. My NOD32 says "PHP/Obfuscated.F potentially unwanted application".

8. danks_

On the Starbound side, I know they actually are working hard, but their progress on other game mechanics is still not advanced enough to get to the server side yet :c I'm happy with the work they do, but I'm really really looking forward to the point where they start doing more server updates. And I wonder if they will ever change the way data is stored too.

On the other note, I know they weren't designed to work together, I wasn't even building the CMS on the first place to make them work together, it just made me a bit sad to know it's not worth working on that kind of updates/features because of how different both systems work.

I think as long as most data is stored the same way, hopefully in a database (claimed planets, players, uuids, plugin configs, etc), then I'd really go the extra mile, I'd even adapt the website to work on Oracle's DB. I think the real issue is pulling out the data when it's needed, thereby allowing data to be modified by 3rd parties. Just having a system that would allow for configurations to be changed without dealing with downtime would be amazing, even if it were to cause small rollbacks or lag.

Yeah I obfuscated my footer.php in hopes of people not deleting the link to this thread.

The file is located in the inc folder (inc/footer.php)

you can delete or edit footer.php and replace it with this:
    PHP:
    </div><!-- end of right content-->  
      </div>  <!--end of center content -->            
          <div class="clear"></div>
          </div> <!--end of main content-->
        <div class="footer">
            <div class="left_footer"><a href="<? echo $config['url']; ?>">[Home]</a> &#8226; <a href="http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/stardankscms-web-tools-easy-to-install-whitelist-ban-manager.59437/">[StarDanks CMS]</a> &#8226; <a href="http://steamcommunity.com/id/danksss">[danks_]</a> &#8226; <a href="http://indeziner.com/resources/freebies/free-css-templates/free-htmlcss-jquery-admin-panel-inadmin/">[Original Design]</a></div>

</div>
    </div>      
    </body>
    </html>

9. Lladar

Lladar Big Damn Hero

I get the following error when trying to start my server from the CMS:

Fatal error: Uncaught exception 'com_exception' with message '<b>Source:</b> Unknown<br/><b>Description:</b> Unknown' in C:\AppServ\www\admin\manager.php:4 Stack trace: #0 C:\AppServ\www\admin\manager.php(4): com->Run('D :\Program File...', 7, false) #1 C:\AppServ\www\admin.php(22): include('C:\AppServ\www\...') #2 {main} thrown in C:\AppServ\www\admin\manager.php on line 4

Tidbits:
    *AppServ installed on C:\AppServ\www
    *Starbound installed on D :\Program Files (x86)\Steam\SteamApps\common\Starbound
    *Shuts down the server just fine without issues, only startup gets the error.
    *I intentionally put a SPACE between D and : to avoid This -> D:

How do I resolve this issue?

10. danks_

Please, reinstall Starbound in another folder, I believe I cleared that in OP ;)
    Apache doesnt have permission to run executables located inside any Program Files folder, be it (x86) or not.

You can modify it while installing Starbound, or could literally make a copy of the whole folder somewhere else, if you don't mind the extra wasted space.

It's very possible that the website can't modify files suchs as the whitelist and make backups of your spawn planet because of this.

A work around would be to manually close Apache and start it again by excecuting as Administrator, not recommended for security reasons.

Best of luck.

Backup universe, mods and player folders, uninstall, re-install under D :\Starbound (example)
    You could also try your luck modifying manager.php to open a .bat located elsewhere and have the .bat open the server.

11. martyr2012

martyr2012 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Is it possible to work around this by using a virtual directory?

12. danks_

If you are willing to put your server in a virtuak directory, since the files that must be read and modified by the web cant be moved elsewhere, then yes, but this might cause extra lag.

Totally possible, not something I'd recommend doing.

13. martyr2012

martyr2012 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I agree that it would cause extra lag. Didn't think about that when I posted.