OOC Demon Hunters (on hold due to personal circumstance)

Discussion in 'Role Playing' started by Ikbenbeter, Mar 11, 2014.

?

Interested?

1. yes

81.5%
  2. noooo

18.5%
  1. Ikbenbeter

Ikbenbeter Pangalactic Porcupine

RP thread: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/demon-hunters.79712/

Demon Hunters [Modern Fantasy, Action]
    6:00 pm (GMT), March the 7th, 2015
    Central London, England, UK, Europe (Foggy, raining)

Music
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Unnamed_Heartless_(Eyes).png

James Atanas (better known by his stage name Jack de Ripper) stood out a little in the crowd of people closest to the location of where the demon last was seen clad in a black coat with the hood covering his hair. His blond goatee and mustache made him recognizable but no one paid him attention. He stood a quite a while from the place, hidden from it in the crowd of onlookers that were being kept about a hundred meters from the demon by the police, although only the eyes were visible. They had been evacuated well and the police was calm, but the area was filled with the iconic London architecture and was likely the home of many who were now cold and wet and feared for their house. He signaled to the police and they let him through, but he tried to be subtle and didn't directly run to the location. The eyes spotted him directly, though. A horrible screech echoed, the demon appeared behind the eyes and charged at Jack, who feared for the crowd. He was unsure whether the chains around the demon's paw were made by something in order to imprison it or as a weapon. Both were terrifying options, but Jack didn't hesitate and darted into a side street.

[​IMG]
    Name: Shadowhunter
    Class: B
    Aggressive: Only to hunters
    Magic: Weak (invisibility, binding)
    Size: 9m (30 ft) head to tail, 2.75m (9 ft) foot to shoulder, 2.2m (7'3ft) shoulder to shoulder
    Style: Walks like a corgi, but a very capable fighter
    Weight Class: Relative to Size
    Victims: 2 (hunters, both dead)
    Defeated: 1 (JdR)
    Notes: The chains around its paw are made from heavy steel and dangerous. (JdR)
    The chains are likely a trophy from a golem. (JdR)

The demon slowed only a second and then continued charging, taking the corner in a messy way due to its short legs. Jack had unsheathed his scythe, its blade radiating with strong light. The demon screeched again and vanished. Only its eyes were visible and Jack stood still, closing his eyes. Then his eyes began glowing white and he jumped several meters into the air while firing his assault rifle at the eyes of the demon, which were still visible. The eyes of the demon passed under him and Jack came down on what was likely its back, doing a quick slice. The demon screeched again and became visible, darkness spouting out of its wound for a few seconds and then stopping. It shook Jack off, but not before he could get in another slice with his scythe. The demon did another screech and Jack hung floating in midair, slightly above the ground. Dark chains surrounded his body. The demon ran at Jack, jaws wide open.

Jack had freed his hand though and was slashing wild at the demon but too far to hit it. It stopped mid-charge and flung his chain at Jack, who slammed into a building and onto the ground. His face was covered in scratches and bruises and his nose bled. The chains were off, though and Jack uttered a "Now you've done it." His skin got engulfed in light and the scratches and his face healed. Even his clothes were no longer torn and he swung his scythe creating an arc of light that flew right at the demon. It simply jumped over it, going invisible again, but Jack jumped on top of a building, jumping down just in time to hit the demon again. It screeched again, becoming visible and standing on its back legs.

6:00 pm (pacific), March the 7th, 2015
    New York City, New York, USA, North America (Cloudy)

Derek shut the tv off, resulting in a sad sound from the officers and hunters in the common room of the police station. It was time for the meeting. Derek said a gruff "Don't worry, he wins." The hunters all moved to the meeting room, and some officers followed. The atmosphere was still rather lighthearted for the officers and most of the hunters, but everyone knew what was going on and why they had come here. After a minute everyone had found a spot, but the room was overcrowded and a lot of people had to stand. Derek stood next to the head of police, a stern woman who did a few service announcements.

After she was done explaining equipment, codes and such, she paused and Derek immediately took over. "As you all are aware, our prediction for Demons attacking New York is tomorrow, exactly five years after the first attack in London. At the same time, a large cloud suddenly appeared and it will rain for the whole day tomorrow. You will be put into teams to cover as much area as possible. You all have your weapons with you?" Everyone in the room made some noise of agreement. "Alright, I don't have any more words for you. Move out!"

London: wikipedia
    Police: Telegraph.co.uk
    Unnamed Heartless (eyes & full picture): khwiki, originally Kingdom Hearts: Birth by Sleep Final Mix

Info and important stuff

This is an rp about an alternate Earth with roughly the same technology, where demons have invaded and people try to save world. Coming up is a huge infodump that you might want to read. Anyway, it's just an excuse to fight big giant demons around the world. The RP is heavily inspired by ARPGs like Kingdom Hearts or Dark Souls and spectacle fighters like DMC or Bayonetta and also RWBY. There should also be a lot of room for character development and conversation, but it's certainly not a freeform RP. We'll follow a set path.

2010: Demons appeared and attacked in London. Wings Ltd. surfaced and started spreading Weapons a month after, appearing from nowhere. Rifts appeared all throughout Europe and later Africa, slowly moving east. Demons only attacked during the night, and Shadow type demons didn't exist yet.
    2012: Demons appeared in Asia and Australia. They started attacking during rainy and stormy weather, mostly because shadows now started appearing and summoning rainclouds.
    2014: At the start of the year, demons and rifts were appearing everywhere in Europe, Africa, Asia and Australia. At the end of 2014, demons and rifts appeared on the west coast of the U.S.A., slowly moving east again.
    March 2015: The only major city not attacked by demons is New York City, but an attack is incoming...

Demons are beings made from pure darkness, and under normal circumstances invulnerable. They can only be hurt with strong light, lasers and explosions. Attempts to study them are hard, since dead demons turn into flux and live demons don't respond well to capture. They're classed by power from A to F (Logarithmic, so A is e (=~2.72) times as strong as B etc). Class A is for the most powerful demons, B is for the very dangerous demons, C is for the dangerous demons, D is for the demons that can be taken down by a few good hunters, E is for the demons who are at the same power level as some very strong humans and F is for the weakest who can be defeated rather easily and are just cannon fodder. Generally speaking, a class F can be defeated in one good hit, while class As can be defeated in about 150 hits on a critical spot or double or triple bad hits.

There are special kinds of demons, as well: shadows are very weak demons that don't need Weapons to be defeated but control the weather. They are not a threat to anything other than a child but should be taken care of quickly since they can evolve into full-strength demons if they're left alone long enough. Second there are Constructs (or Golems), metal demons with only a core of darkness. Resistant to magic, explosions and Weapons of Light they can be dangerous and class C constructs and up are considered very dangerous and a thread by the military. Finally, there are class S or Omega Demons. They are immense demons that are far more powerful than even class A's. Only one is known, though, the Lord High Lord of the demons and he has never been seen on Earth.

Weapons of Light, mostly just called Weapons, are produced by Wings Ltd. and are the only thing besides pure Light to be able to harm Demons. They run on electricity, which they convert into Light Flux. They can also be directly charged with Light Flux from the user. The user can also charge it with Dark Flux in pinch, making it possible to harm Demons. Light Flux does ten times more damage, though. They come in three forms: Weapons, Projectiles and Guns.

Arms of Light are swords, spears, axes, knives, etc. that have a power storage and a part (usually the blade) that can be charged. Upon pressing a button the electricity will be converted into Light Flux, and the hurting part (the sharp or pointy part) will be charged with it. Charging it manually will do that directly. Upon hitting a demon it will consume some of the Flux but hurt it like a chainsaw hurts a tree.

Projectiles of Light are both summoned by Hunters with magic and produced by Wings Ltd. Arrows, bolts etc. that can be used with bows and such or throwing knives, chakrams, etc. for throwing. Bullets are too small to be produced into meaningfully damaging Projectiles of Lights, but instead one can use a gun of light:

Finally, Guns of Light are Weapons that fire bursts of Light Flux, essentially being magic launchers. They do less damage than the other types and are less efficient, but are easy to handle and have a lot of range. They are also produced by Wings Ltd. Shotguns are not produced because of the nature of their ammunition, but any other type of gun is.

All production of Weapons of Light is under Wings Ltd. Illegal Weapons of Light have surfaced, but those are just modified versions of Wings ones. Attempts from other instances to make Weapons of Light have failed.

Magic is the other tool Hunters have for killing Demons. Magic is fueled by dark and light flux, basically your mp or mana. Each spell costs either dark or light flux, and while a spell of one type is active you cannot cast magic of the other type. Demons only can cast dark spells. Magic can do anything, from creating fire to healing wounds to telekinesis but will require more flux the heavier the task.

Flux can be generated in a few ways: killing a demon will generate a lot of flux of both types (dependent on the class of the demon, of course), hurting a demon will generate some flux of both types. Light flux can also be drained from a charged Weapon in a pinch. In their natural state a human has no flux of either type in their body, but our body can store a lot of it.

Finally, having flux in your body allows you to jump a lot higher and even double jump.

Rifts are the main focus point of the RP. There are two kinds: central rifts and side rifts. Entering a central rift sends the traveler into a hub in the dark world where they can enter the side rifts, and entering a side rift returns you to the core rift. A side rift can only be closed from the outside (it takes some time to close, though, so there’s enough time to return home). A central rift can only be closed by first closing the 8 nearby side rifts.

Demon Hunters are equipped with some standard equipment:
    Earpiece, for communication on the field. Has a range of about a two kilometers (1.2 mile), but can be connected to a phone for advanced communication via bluetooth. Earpieces have replaced walkie-talkies in this day and age.
    Basic survival kit, everything you need to survive in the wild. A piece of rope, Swiss army knife, flask, matches, flashlight and a first aid kid.
    Flares and flare gun, to signal hunters in bad visibility environments. Every hunter has 3 of 3 colors: red, blue and white. Modern hunter flares and flare guns are compact and easy to use.
    A scanner, which scans demons. Provides the information seen in the infoboxes like in the intro.

The Demon Hunter initiative was formed by Interpol in 2011. At first, the police served as Demon Hunters and received basic training. After a while the police split and the Demon Hunter Agency was formed. They are a service by governments (like police), being governed by Interpol as well. Hunters are payed an okay rate. They do not receive bonuses themselves for bagging extra demons, although areas with higher rift frequency get more money than areas with less. There are no independent Hunters (although some mercenary companies recruit them), although Interpol has a handful of elite agents such as Jack de Ripper that are not limited to one station.

Application form/character sheet:
    (aww sheeeeet)

Name:
    (Be realistic. This is the real world)

Appearance:
    (Picture, description, whatever floats your boat. Make sure the reader has the right idea afterwards, though, and make sure the character is capable of combat)

Primary Weapon:
    (Read the Weapons of Light bit from the infodump)

Secondary Weapon:
    (No more than one primary and one secondary weapon. Twin weapons (double blades, double pistols, etc) count as one weapon)

Role:
    (To prevent everyone being a jack of all trades and also to know what to expect in combat, I want to know beforehand what you’re going to do in fights, so do explain a little what you will do. Please explain a little how you fight if the role title isn't super obvious. Also don’t worry about double roles.)

Personality Plan:
    (Make this as long as you want. Make sure it is not perfect or unrealistic and leave room for character development)

Background:
    (What the background is for is providing context for personality and showing where developments can be made. Please do not make your character an experienced Hunter for balancing reasons (i don't want certain people to be a lot better than others), although being a combat veteran is fine. Every character has received intense training, so don't worry about that.)

Magic:
    (We're starting out with 2 light and 2 dark spells. Please start somewhat weak, there will be plenty of room to improve it and learn new spells. Feel completely free to ask if anything is okay. Whether a spell is light or dark is down to your own intuition.)

Character list:
    Author: Name, Role
    Accepted:
    Ikbenbeter: Aaren Steel, Battlefield manipulator
    Stu and Improved: Luis "Schneide" Kessler, Finishing fights and general heavy hitter
    critsarecool: Michael Jacobs, Support/Assassin
    Boufman: Erick Winther, engineer and scout
    m0k0n4: Marlene Merill, Vanguard

Applicants:

I think that’s all. Before I forget, the rules:
    - Follow the forum RP rules.
    - Write in third person past tense, normal text size and color and no quoting. Normal English (British, American or a mix is all accepted) and no swearing in places where it does not fit.
    - Write a ‘normal’ size post. Posting just a few short sentences is worse than not posting at all. Instead, try to describe and collaborate.
    - Capitalization on things like demons and Hunters is up to you, as long as it is clear to what you're referring.
    - Read this: http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/how-to-roleplaying.13282/ not all of it per se but try to read the bit about rules, basics, action and sheets at least.
    - Feel free to include a youtube video for added music, but put them in a spoiler or link.
    - If a post/application breaks the rules, you have to don’t delete it always but can edit it to improve it.
    - Be open to criticism, it’s there to help you rather than insult you. You’ll certainly get a second chance.
    - Keep OOC in the IC thread to an extreme minimum. There’s this whole thread for OOC so keep it here.
    - Have fun.

Last edited: Oct 21, 2014
    Ominethious likes this.
  2. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Hunter Hunter?
    IS HE MOON MOON
    But I'm interested.
    I'll see what I can cook up as an app

3. The Demon of Borders

The Demon of Borders King Homestuck 4.13

An interesting plot and setting. I'll keep my eyes on this one.

4. Ikbenbeter

I rewrote the flux bit in the infodump because it was unclear.
    Please leave feedback and/or questions I am here to help.
    Except I'm not here I gtg ciao.
    but seriously leave feedback and questions I don't mind them at all.

5. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

I feel dirty now

6. walrusman72

walrusman72 Phantasmal Quasar

Dude... I'm in.

Name: Dean Edgar

Appearance: [​IMG] (get rid of the rifle, and add legs...)

Weapon:[​IMG] a very ancient blade, that was cursed by a three class E deamons to never leave the side of the 7th person who wields the sword.

Role: The Curio with a conscience: Dean has an insatiable hunger for discovery. He dislikes killing any of the Deamons he finds, because he wants to know what it is and what is does. He'll try to ask it questions while he fights, and is usually met with violence.

Personality: Smart, but is kind of socially awkward. His only "friends" are the F class Deamons that he has found and can't kill him, so they stick around from time to time. (Frankly, it would be pretty funny if new F classes kept resurfacing and then being killed by the others.)

Background: Dean Edgar had been living five meters from one of the most horrifying things all of his life and never knew about it. SCP-015 was residing in a concrete building right beside Dean's house. Of course Dean, being a curious little bugger, he decided to investigate. He was intercepted and later questioned by the SCP Foundation. Later, after finding out this whole new world, he pursed a career in the business later, after binding with his sword and become a Clearance Class-4 Agent he went to the Deamon hunting agency and has been living there ever since.

Magic: None... At least none on him. His sword may possess some power, but we'll find out (;))

7. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

OH MY GOD HNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNGH

The Demon of Borders likes this.
  8. The Demon of Borders

The Demon of Borders King Homestuck 4.13

I genuinely wonder if you read half the OP.

9. Berry Punch

Berry Punch Big Damn Hero

Definately want to get into this one, application process away~!

10. yeah ikben, you be that next great rper

follow my footsteps, my son, become the new god so that i may rest at last

being called a god is fucking annoying someone else should do it so i dont have to be

Boufman likes this.
  11. Ikbenbeter

Did you actually read what I wrote? You even managed to misspell something that is in the title.
    Other than that, the picture is kinda bad and I still have no idea what Dean looks like. How is the sword a Weapon of Light? The role part gives me no idea how he fights. The personality is generic (smart and socially awkward is so overdone it's not even funny) and although I don't dislike the idea of someone wanting to be nice to Demons, demons don't have problems with trying to kill you even if they're weak. Background is unrealistic (scp foundation is not real) and it doesn't explain how Dean got his weapon. Also what is this whole new world thing? Magic is not optional, sorry if I was unclear on that but now you know.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  12. m0k0n4

m0k0n4 Ketchup Robot

So, uh, sorry for being ignorant, but what exactly are our characters, here? Low-rank Demon Hunters that just happened to be in the town the moment the Rifts opened? Rookies? Veterans? Likely closer to rookies, since it's stated that we only get four out of eight spells at the start, but...

Speaking of which, are the only weapons a human can use in the 'Demon Hunter qualification test' (AKA somehow manage to kill a Demon while human) swords? It kinda feels like legit swords are pretty hard to find in real life right now, at least not as easily as a crowbar/hammer/baseball bat/golf stick/kitchen knife/whatever.

Also this is a bit nitpicky, but what happens if a human manages to kill a Demon? Does the Flux released from its death become absorbed by the as-of-then ordinary human, awakening his/her Weapon of Light in a preferably fancy animated sequence complete with matching BGM or something?

Ikbenbeter likes this.
  13. Ikbenbeter

dw questions are fine
    Yeah we're starting out as rookies but everyone has had combat and magic training.
    Any type of weapon is fine. However, some are more advantageous than others. Killing a demon with guns for example would cost a lot of bullets. Some might even exploit their weakness to explosions or pay a hunter to do a lot of damage and then destroy the demon themself to get access to a WoL and magic...
    Yes

14. guguy123

guguy123 Pangalactic Porcupine

Question, do the passive things like jumping really high and super endurance count as spells or are just abilities all Demon Hunters have. Also, is Demon Hunters capitalized? Working on a sheet btw.

15. walrusman72

walrusman72 Phantasmal Quasar

Very sorry… My application was rushed… I'll reside it up for you

No harm done!

16. Ikbenbeter

All Demon Hunters have it.
    Edit: Okay it's with capitals what do i know

There is no need for haste.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  17. GravityFlux

GravityFlux Guest

Name: Lieutenant Colonel Tiberius Creed

Appearance:
    [​IMG]

Weapon:
    [​IMG]
    A weak and unpowerful weapon, this short blade is quite useless in terms of power, being only slightly more powerful than a human made blade, and not many realize why he carries it around. Its a sort of self defense weapon, in the few times he ever gets attacked up close and personal. Most of the time, he depends on good old fashioned kinetic weaponry (guns), which he insists are better than "That magic hogwash".

Role:
    Tactician, and minorly a weapons specialist.

Personality:
    Harrison is a cigar smoking, gun laundering, man with a lifetime of experience with weaponry and the military, Harrison is a well trained man with an arrogant, yet disciplined attitude. He was born to kill, and a total personification of THIS (is link). He will obey orders from his superiors, but will deal with insubordination harshly. He dislikes magic, but like every good tactician, uses its advantages to the maximum, although hearing him say "Can magic release 68 megatons of TNT equivalent?" is entirely usual. He's patient, yet impatient, in the meaning that he can wait for big things, such as one of his long term plans (which are now seldom made/used), but is incapable of waiting for a burrito to heat up in a microwave. He is also entirely unpredictable at times, and for all his reputation as a master planner, sometimes he will unexpectedly shift to using a lot, a hella lot of raw firepower, a tactic he uses rarely, just to surprise others.

Background:
    "Lieutenant Colonel Tiberius Creed, winner of three Purple Hearts, and a single Silver Star, is a British Army Officer who has actually spent most of his career in the UN Peacekeeping Forces, and is to date the only person to have killed a Class C Demon without using spells or explosives, and simply the might of .50 Cal, and several machine guns. He is also one of the few UN military sanctioned Demon Hunters. He is also a master tactician, having beaten every modern military simulation to date (although not necessarily on the first try, for he is still human). He has an unconventional tactical ideology, and is also one of the military's many firepower enthusiast's." -Civilian Demon Hunter

Tiberius Creed was the son of two British patriots, one a Liberal Democratic politician, and the other a Captain in Her Majesty's Navy. He was brought up in the combined tutelage of a politics expert, and a master of sea warfare, which would have been a brilliant combination, were it not for the dislike of politics the Navy mother secretly instilled in him. She wanted him to follow her footsteps, and took the steps she could to enforce her want, and after a while, even the father gave in, although on a compromise of only Tiberius choosing his true fate. Tiberius chose his mother, and she immediately began pressing on him the knowledge of tactics and military throughout history. The father tried his best to give him a more normal education, and a normal childhood, but only gained slight success, as the mother continued her strict home schooling of the boy.

He read Sun Tzu's The Art of War, studied the tactics of the Romans, learnt the history of most major states in the world, and taught the inner workings and physics of weaponry. This tutelage was strict and disciplined, almost resembling a true military boot camp. He didn't learn social skills, or the importance of economics, or any instrument of creativity. But the mother knew better than to drill him with premade tactics, and make him a possibly easy to read tactician. She encouraged the creation of new tactics, new methods, and cartography. Physical training was just as important, and she made him play every sport he possibly could, although with limited success. But he was still very fit, so one could assume she still succeeded.

By the time he was 17, he was made to take the SATs, and he scored rather high on it, even for his lack of traditional knowledge, although not extremely high. The mother then, in her final days (for she and the father, who had died a while back, had married late), suffering from cancer, gave him his duty. "Join them, and show the world what you are. Son, I am proud of you. Never cry for me." Those were her final words, and Tiberius kept them to heart. However, he didn't exactly join the Navy, but the Army instead, because of a slight mistake in address's. Over time, he's become thankful for that mistake, but that's different.

He joined the Royal Military Academy in Sandhurst, after a while in the army, and would later go to describe it as one of the hardest times of his life. Yet it was rewarding, for it was in Sandhurst where he gained most of his tactical experience and capability, as well as his reputation. After he graduated with honours, he served for a while in Afghanistan, and then was relegated to UN Peacekeeping duty, something that became permanent with establishment of a permanent peacekeeping force for the UN, making him, and his tactical talent. But one day, when one of the first ever rifts opened up near where he was posted in Freetown, Sierra Leone, and the coming of a Class C demon was where he found his true calling.

He applied direct thought, and created a high octane plan that depended on luck, quite a bit, which involved the distraction and diversion of the demon using the C4 that was standard issue to his Heavy specialist, and then killing it by using the same C4. It didn't quite go too well, and ended as a failure, due to the failure of Tiberius to realize his incapability as a tactician against single Demons.

In the end, he remained the last standing of his unit, and in the end, took down the Demon by utilizing the heavy shipboard weapons on the HMS Lancaster, which was currently docked in the area to refill, due to some mid-sea complications. That is when he gained his blade, and that was one of the greatest moments of his career. Only a while later, with the creation of the Demon Hunter units around the world, Tiberius was appointed as a UN sanctioned military Hunter, and continues to fight, ( as well as help out with planning against multiple demons), to this date.

His tactics now no longer work by future planning, due to the futility of any plan against a full fledged demon, but more towards on-the-spot improvisation.

Magic: (again, Tiberius dislikes using it)
    Spell One: Explosive Containment, Light: This spell is basically a containment spells learned over time, which creates an invisible cube of vacuum, used to contain fires and small explosions, but will only force an organic being out of the cube, due to unknown reactions in Tiberius's Flux, but others may be capable of using it.
    Spell Two: Plasma Barrier, Dark: This particular spell was rather hard for Tiberius to learn, but he managed to do it. It creates a 1x1 meter wide square of high grade plasma, and maintains it, and its uses are many, such as a shield against physical objects, but it drains TIberus's Flux faster than you can say "Bazinga."
    Spell Three: Crash and Burn, Dark: This spell is more of drop-attack, which creates a barrier of 300 degree C fire around Tiberius (when falling), which then disperses on impact, and gets hotter for the next fifteen seconds (max limit: 600 C), while spreading out, and then will disintegrate. However, the original flame will not hurt Tiberius, but it's his own fault if he falls into the resulting flash fire.
    Spell Four: Flash a Bitch, Light: A spell made entirely by Tiberius (Therefore its name being weird), its quite useless in combat, and isn't the most original, but certainly is useful, as it works as a basic flashlight. It is Tiberius's weakest spell, and therefore the one that takes the least amount of Flux.

HARGH, SPEEDTYPING COMPLETE. T'WAS FUN, BUT ITS BAD RUNNING ON EMPTY

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 13, 2014
    Berry Punch likes this.
  18. Nintendo_Play

Nintendo_Play Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hmm, this is rather interesting. I may join later.

19. Berry Punch

Berry Punch Big Damn Hero

Would a weapon that can theoretically propel the user use Flux as essentially a fuel? And if that were the case, this weapon would draw Flux from the user who draws Flux from slain demons, correct?

Trying to create a Weapon of Light and just asking so my understanding of Flux and all is correct for what i'm trying to do.