Demetrius and Sebastian

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by AureusWolf, Jun 28, 2017.

1. LuthienNightwolf

LuthienNightwolf Oxygen Tank

I wish I would have been so lucky for my mother to see that my stepdad treated me and my little sister rotten, it would have saved me 10 years of walking on eggshells and feeling unwelcome in my own house. I'm sure this has been the case for many other kids with split families as well. Parents do sometimes choose their partner over their kids. :/

• Seismothesaurus

Seismothesaurus Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Got this text today and remembered this thread:

half sister.jpg

So according to Seb, they are indeed half-siblings and not step-siblings. Personally I imagine Seb being around 24-25 and Maru around 20-21, so it's close, but not necessarily "what were you getting up to, Robin?" close. Anyway, maybe Robin wasn't married to Seb's dad or even in a (serious?) relationship with him. It's equally possible that the pregnancy was unintentional and Seb never knew his dad.

• ishizu29

ishizu29 Subatomic Cosmonaut

well, me and my sister was raised by a single mother, and she had a few BFs over the years, so it might not be exactly the same.
        but i hated it when one of them tried to enforce discipline on me!!!
        in my book, the fact that my mother was dating you, did not somehow make you my father.
        it did not give you the right to lecture me, ground me or anything else.
        your relationship with my mother was just that, with my mother. it did not spill over into any sort of resemblance of a parental -relationship between you and i.
        in a nutshell: sleeping with my mother, did not magically make you my father, or someone who was in a position to discipline me.
        granted i was a teenager back then, but i still stand by how i felt.

now it´s clearly not like with sebatian and demetrius, seeing as he´s actually married to the mother and not just a BF, but also the whole favouritism thing, which i never had to deal with. thankfully.

but there is that aspect that i don´t think gets enough attention:
        ppl always say " well the kid just needs time to adjust to a new parent. they´ll come around" and maybe the do if the kid´s smaller, but with teenagers it´s harder.
        take the natural rebellious spirit of a teen, and then drop in a new person to both raise and discipline the teen, and they never consider that just because they (the biological parent) chose that person, does not mean that the teen did. just like you can´t force someone to like someone, you can´t make the teen accept a new parent just because you happen to be dating that person.
        think about it, their parent is basically saying: "i like this person so now he/she gets to tell you what to do" and if you decided that you don´t agree with that person having that sort of authority, then everyone starts with that " why are you being so stubborn, give them a chance ect" and then the teen feels like everyone is against them and they become even more stubborn about not wanting a new parental figure.
        and when that new parent tries to ground you, lecture you ect. the only thing you think of is " fuck you! i don´t want you here, and you don´t get to tell me what to do"

and if the step parent then have child that they do get along with, especially if it´s biologically their own, and with the other kid having pushed them away, they properly focus their attention on that kid, and develop a bit of a soft spot for them, compared to the other kid.

• ishizu29

ishizu29 Subatomic Cosmonaut

now granted i´m not sure that this is the case, after all demetrius and robin might´ve hooked up when the Sebastian was small.
          or maybe, the fact that maru and Sebastian are close in age , does not indicate that robin and demetrius got together when seabsatain was young, they could´ve both brought a kid into their new marriage, so it might´ve happened back when Sebastian was a teen, we don´t know.
          though he does refer to maru as half sibling and not stepsister. so i´m leaning towards them being biologically related.

in which case it might be because maru and her dad had common interests so they managed to stay close during her teen years,
          while sebastian, being a loner and not really having common interests with robin, withdrew from everyone and was jealous of the attention maru got from her dad.
          maybe he didn´t care so much for demetrius himself, but the attention that he gave maru and her projects, when ( as we see in the cut scene where he´s working in the basement) no one seems to take an interest in his work, or take it seriously.

worldstraveller likes this.
          • dollydollop

dollydollop Orbital Explorer

Don't mean to necro here, but I honestly love this discussion so much. I started playing not too long ago and it always felt kind of concerning regarding their relationship, or the lack of it and the little vague bits of dialogue related to it so it's really nice to have those thoughts expanded. It's definitely true that parents can pick partners over their children and turn a willing blind eye and I feel like Robin has been cautiously distant when it comes to her son or willfully convincing herself that it's not as bad as it is because she doesn't really want to know or acknowledge that her child is suffering and it might in part at the very least be because of her husband.
            Maru doesn't talk about him much besides what was already mentioned, that she wishes they had a better relationship but in another piece of dialogue Sebastian says that he and Maru fought a lot as kids (post-marriage when he worries about how children will get along). Maru also might not understand Sebastian's perspective at all, given the heaps of praise and affection Demetrius seems to shower her in and while I think she thinks he's maybe over the top, she might not be able to see him as being cold or critical because to her he's a gushing, doting father. And there were hints that Sebastian didn't choose the basement and while some people do choose to live underground as a real preference, when he talked about that it was pretty upsetting. Why not have the lab room in the basement instead at the very least? And yeah, I can see Demetrius making a few snide comments because Sebastian didn't go to college 'like the rest of the family', or just undermining him in general, even if he doesn't think he's being harsh because honestly Demetrius seems like a kind of smarmy, prissy guy sometimes. It's not that I want them to all magically make up, it's more I want at least Maru and Sebastian to get along maybe just a little better. Talk about coding or something, since she likes gadget and he likes sci-fi and is a coder, even if it's a tentative new beginning. He seems to do better distanced from his mom, or at least not stressed out like he was when he lived with them. I think that's part of the reason he was romanticizing leaving and going out to the city by himself so much when you start to get to know him.
            (Edit to fix a few grammar mistakes)

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

i have a step-mother and she's a lot like demetrius in regards to favoritism so i really do get it. i know when i was growing up my sibling was doted on daily and i was ignored whenever possible or treated neutrally when not. it legitimately feels like being mistreated when you see a sibling being told they are loved every day receiving hugs and getting to participate in family-bonding moments while you are given silence and not thought of in the least. i can see why he'd be churlish towards his step-father especially if demetrius occasionally gave him chastisements(even if only mild ones). he sees how his sibling is treated and uses it as a measuring stick for the quality of treatment he is receiving. sure to us it doesn't seem too bad but he is treated the worst of anyone in his family so to him that has to be pretty bad

also i think(but don't quote me) that robin mentions she didn't have a very good relationship with sebastian's biological father but hit it off with demitrius right away and given they still go out dancing after twenty years this cannot have just been robin waxing poetic(also you do know you can totally have sex with people regardless of how long you've known them and sex sometimes leads to children. it's not crazy to think maru and sebatian would have less than 5 years between them or even less than 2)

beautifulmonster1318 likes this.
              • dollydollop

dollydollop Orbital Explorer

Right? My brother and I are only a year and a half apart and we've got different dads, so when I was reading through this thread, I was honestly a little confused that people were putting such a big gap between their ages. I don't think they're very far apart age wise.

beautifulmonster1318 and Zosa like this.