Deep Sea Research and Mining Base

Discussion in 'Screenshots' started by TheFloranChef, Dec 24, 2014.

1. TheFloranChef

TheFloranChef Giant Laser Beams

My underwater base. Only for the brave:

DeepSea1.png

DeepSea2.png

I still have to learn how to create a proper entrance with drains and wiring... that will be really cool.

2. TrueEdge

TrueEdge Phantasmal Quasar

Floran is amazed :eek:

Perhaps your next move is to make a water purification plant/chamber? :D
    Maybe have 3 glass tanks hanging in the center of a room with those toxic tanks as processors.

Last edited: Dec 24, 2014
    TheFloranChef likes this.
  3. Ginger Gerald

Ginger Gerald Void-Bound Voyager

Damn that's impressive. How long did that take?

4. TheFloranChef

A few hours, because I had to gather some blocks. But if you count the time I expent collecting what I already had, it's considerable more...

5. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Awwww, maaan!!! This + Big windows + Many aquatic creatures to see...

I will do something similar in the first abyssal zone I find (if I find).

6. TheFloranChef

Good idea. I think I'll explore for some time and see if I can find other interesting things to add.

Imagine building an entire city there!

HI-MAX² likes this.
  7. Shonen

Shonen Void-Bound Voyager

Wow, this is really awesome looking. Does water flood through the building when you open the doors?

EDIT: NVM! I see the drain!

8. The Squid

The Squid Oxygen Tank

Woah. My base doesn't even come close to being this awesome. In fact, my base is just a large hole in the ground. Yours is... awe-inspiring. Well done.:up:

9. TheFloranChef

The drain is just a temporary solution. With the wiring station I should be able to create an automatic system:

- flood the entrance (instead of opening the door and water coming in) and open the door with a timer
    - enter, close the door and drain the water (with the proper "drain" from the wiring station)
    - open the inner hatch.

I have never used the wiring tool, so I don't know if it can work like this. I try later.[DOUBLEPOST=1419480757][/DOUBLEPOST]
    Thanks. But my first underwater base was just a couple of doors. If you like to build bases, take your time and plan ahead. The secret is in the details: use different blocks and it won't look simple.

HI-MAX² likes this.
  10. TheFloranChef

Found a way to make the entrance without any wires or drains. And no need to collect water with the matter manipulator ever. Just make sure you don't open the two doors at the same time! :)

Doorsystem.png

11. HI-MAX²

HI-MAX² Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I think I'm not alone when I say that I will create a Hylotl just for this! xD

Oh, my. Would not it be interesting to have a submarine to fast travel to this base and others? :slowpoke:

12. M_Sipher

M_Sipher Oxygen Tank

13. TheFloranChef

Yes, they should definitely inlude a submarine tech. :idea:

That's good to know, because it's the proper and cool way to do this.

14. KrilltheKill

KrilltheKill Title Not Found

I don't know why but this inspired me to make a Skyward Base :)
    I just have to figure out how to do it...
    But anyways, the base is amazing, good luck on expanding it!
    But I have a question, where does that huge pit bellow the base serves for? Where does it leads?:V

Feera and TheFloranChef like this.
  15. TheFloranChef

Thanks! The pit leads to the mines. I have to recover all the titanium I used to built the base (I think I had over 700 titanium panels when I begun).

Don't forget to post your skyward base later.

KrilltheKill likes this.
  16. KrilltheKill

KrilltheKill Title Not Found

I'm going to collect some materials for the task first, it's going to take a while to build it, considering I'm quite early on the game =/

17. Lintton

Lintton Guest

I'm also building a base, after being unceremoniously dumped in a poisonous ocean. Managed to get to build to the bottom, but there's a lack of flora there, have to import some.

I will say it makes the lighting surreal.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 26, 2014
  18. TheFloranChef

I know what you are taliking about, just visited one of those planets. Not very inviting: Poisonocean.png

19. Beatrice

Beatrice Spaceman Spiff

I like the drain and the dome; there are many builders out there who are still not able to build some nice round things. :D

20. TheFloranChef

I learned how to make round structures with this:

circles.png

But I don't remember where I got it, it's either here in the Starbound forum or in the Planet Explorers one.

The dome in the first post is a 39. You could also make even bigger circles by considering that each square in the picture above is actually four blocks in Starbound.

Akre, Boufman, River Song and 14 others like this.