WIP Darker (Mountain) Soil Retexture - anyone want?

Discussion in 'Mods' started by gobbldygook, Sep 11, 2016.

Tags:
  1. gobbldygook

gobbldygook Void-Bound Voyager

The yellowness of the spring and summer soil has bugged me for a long time, but despite not being satisfied with the two darker/less yellow soil mods out there, I never had the motivation to fix it to my satisfaction. Until! I was on my way to the mountain lake to fish, and had the thought - wait a second...this soil's not as yellow as it is on every other screen.

Turns out, the mountain lake map uses an entirely different set of dirt sprites than the rest of the game!

So, I'm in the process of recoloring all the non-mountain spring and summer dirt sprites to match the more pleasant mountain coloring. Since I'm taking the colors from existing sprites, the new dirt reduces the bright yellowness of the soil without looking desaturated or otherwise out of place, and I'm making sure to keep the relative light and dark of the original pixels the same (no copy and pasted dirt sprites, so your farm will still have a variety of dirt textures).

Here you can see the original dirt color as compared to the mountain dirt color. My new path sprites are also visible - I'm quite happy with how they turned out! The railroad will probably be what I finish very, very last because it's aNNOYYYING.
    [​IMG]

Here's an example of how the recolored dirt looks against tilled and watered soil (tho I'm using a darker watered soil mod).
    [​IMG]

There are a couple more random pictures (including water cliffs) at the bottom of this album...

I'm only planning on recoloring spring and summer, since fall's dirt isn't actually very yellow, and winter - well, winter's all snow! :D

Would anyone else want to use this? I'm trying to decide how many of the little missed pieces I should put effort into tracking down and fixing - if it's just for personal use, I'll probably be a bit lazy :V but if other people want it, I'll make sure it's polished and posted. :nod:

• eemie

eemie Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

This looks nice man :) I think plenty of people would wanna use this

• Coolwyngs

Coolwyngs Giant Laser Beams

I would love to get this

• gobbldygook

gobbldygook Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks guys! Due to some life stuff, I completely forgot I'd even posted this - but I'm back with my tablet now, and will try to have this out by Thanksgiving at the latest. Just need to open up the files again and see where I was at!

eemie likes this.
          • Balentay

Balentay Void-Bound Voyager

It looks lovely! There's a certain charm to farms that aren't cheese yellow p: