Darkbound: Legacy of the Lucent Update Part 2!

Discussion in 'Planets and Environments' started by Ghostar, Jul 23, 2012.

1. Unconscious Architect

Unconscious Architect Big Damn Hero

Can we have a hint? Also, can you say definitively whether or not the central focus of this is to be infection, so it doesn't get debated to death?

2. Nerd

Nerd Subatomic Cosmonaut

Very interesting idea. The music was lovely and so were the sprites.

Oh, and being off topic, your avatar sort of scared me!

3. Unconscious Architect

When I first saw it, I eyed her small avatar for about 2 minutes to make sure it wouldn't do that again.:cry:

Nerd likes this.
  4. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

We do not intend to infect... We are not a virus or a plague... We hunger for energy and seek enlightenment... Our Queen is the culmination of our efforts and we take pride in our work as a result...

A virus seeks to infect in order to propogate itself... We leave nothing in our wake... We take everything and let the Queen choose what to make use of...

We are not sustainable... We have known this for a long time... We are inefficient, and are driven by her whims...

We must gather the minds of all worlds to satiate the appetite of the Queen...

Axe Garian likes this.
  5. Unconscious Architect

Thank you, I'm not sure who's brilliant idea it was to label this wonderful race as some sort of common disease.

6. RadioFox

RadioFox Subatomic Cosmonaut

This gives me the idea that should be able to "relight" dead suns

[​IMG]

7. Seria-Myouna

Seria-Myouna The Last Moderator IRC Operator

This is a silly idea... Our Forgers worked long and hard to perfect our ability to snuff out your great stars... We have the technology for such a feat in our Mainframe, but we would never utilize it...

8. Ooh! Just a guess here, but is it based off of Dead space?

9. Ghostar

Ghostar Steakeater

Never played it.

Update on the home page! :) Added a picture of the DB world I worked on today. :rofl:

10. Well, I'm sure it'll either be completely obvious or completely unheard of when (if) you announce what is was based off of.

11. Unconscious Architect

Is it an indie game?

12. Zaba35

Zaba35 Phantasmal Quasar

sometimes fear can make a very good mean of confusing and paralyzing

13. Manilian

Manilian Big Damn Hero

What if we want to become a Darkbound? It would be cool if I could mutate my enemies and make them my allies, I love the gory look of my character.

14. Loki ISP

Loki ISP Human-Cyborg Relations

Again, guys.....I wasn't saying you were basing them off of any of those games...was just making a point that the "infection/assimilation" dynamic isn't a bad thing.

:confused:

15. These creatures remind me of the Ing from Metroid Prime 2. I love this idea and would very much enjoy fighting against a planet full of these creatures.

Ghostar and Seria-Myouna like this.
  16. Unconscious Architect

Yes, wait a minute. Thats what they're based off of isn't it? I was thinking this all along but I didn't say anything. :facepalm:

17. Daitenshi

Daitenshi Giant Laser Beams

I don't believe it's based off a specific creature, rather the idea of having a creature that thrives on darkness. It's a common tactic in making monsters scary in games. The less you see of it the scarier it is, let the imagination do the work. Take amnesia for example. The reason the monsters are so freaky is because you never see them and have no means to defend yourself. Now imagine that you're walking through this dark world and only see floating red "eyes". You have no idea how large this particular Darkbound is, or what it is for that matter if you have yet to encounter one. Now imagine you turn around... shine your flashlight on it and piss it off, "Ha, My big guns got this" you think... Until nothing happens and it Doesn't Slow Down. Then the "OH S--- OH S--- OH S--- OH S---" reaction kicks in and you run for your life. Now you're horrified of any red-glowing-eye-beasts that you see in the spooky parts of town. Then you figure out how to make it vulnerable; Confidence regained! Until you stumble upon a larger one that is much more resistant to your attempts at slaughtering it. That constantly feeling "vulnerable" and the "idk what this thing is but It wants my squishy face flesh" are what makes things like this just awesome.

18. Unconscious Architect

Here is a picture of an Ing from Metroid

[​IMG]

They have giant glowing red eyes, are capable of phasing in between dimensions and space itself and can possesses other creatures to use them for their own collective cause. Oh, and they can only survive and thrive in darkness.

Not to mention
    Hopefully though, everything you said will be true of the Darkbound. I love it when something draws you in enough to actually scare you. :D

19. TGGluke

TGGluke Phantasmal Quasar

This could be a cool playable race TIY read it

20. Unconscious Architect

Horrors of darkness are less scary when you can associate with them, and making them a playable race would ruin the entire point and feel of the Darkbound.