1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Damage value mis-match? (mod note or bug)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Nujuju299, May 12, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nujuju299

Nujuju299 Big Damn Hero

So I decided to try and add a few items to the game via a mod, just something I was doing on my own. My first item is nearing completion, I just have to balance it for now. However, I noticed that the listed "power" : # was not being displayed properly in game, and was doing much more damage than intended. So, I began to test and check the values and what I found:

At first the power, the mod, is listed at 7, but when I spawned it in, the item was displaying it'd do 11 damage, and attacking an enemy on starter planet without any armour, listing 150% damage, was doing 16 damage. WAAAY more than intended. So I began to lower the values; 5/8/_ I didn't test attacking enemies yet but, it's 50% more than 8, obviously.
    Curious to find the exact ratio, I increased power to 100, and the result was 100/150/225 (Note I didn't test the actual damage, 225 is just 50% more than 150.)
    The 150% damage I'm not concerned about since it's part of the starting armour/gear or I overlooked that that's a bug too, but it seems the weapon is getting some damage boost either by default, or based off the 150% starting damage or gear.

So I figure this is either a note for modders that weapons do 150% of input damage, or this is a bug and should be addressed.

2. Mackinz

Mackinz The Waste of Time

AFAIK, weapons have "level" multipliers for damage and fire rate. You might check that for your weapon.

3. Nujuju299

Nujuju299 Big Damn Hero

Set my weapon to level 1.

4. Mackinz

Did you try 0?

5. Nujuju299

Nujuju299 Big Damn Hero

Apparently levels do in some way amplify the damage, but specifically that's "amplify." Level 0 shows the new damage at zero.
    I suppose it would in this regard make sense to set damage to 1/3rd, but can't be exact unless data accepts 3/1 as a value? I haven't tried. 0.5 levels is mathematically too high. :/

6. Mackinz

Okay, according to levelingmultipliers.fuctions in /leveling/, there is no option for a level value with a 1x multiplier. 0 is 0x and 1 is 1.5x. This is not a bug so I recommend compensating for it with simple math by reducing your base damage by a third so it is multiplied by 1.5 to your ideal damage value.

7. Nujuju299

Nujuju299 Big Damn Hero

I fail to see how "*0 = 0 but *1 = 1.5" is not a bug On that note, rate of fire remains the same regardless of level. I already compensated, since it was a new weapon I was working on I needed trial and error anyways, but all the same I figure the "higher than listed damage," should be either a note for modders, or reported as a bug. I didn't know which to post this as because it's kind of both. :/

Last edited: May 13, 2016
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.