Damage Animations (for Player Characters)

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by Sirnak, Feb 24, 2012.

?

Would you like to see some damage animation or on your character sprite when it takes damage?

1. Yes, I think damage animation is a good idea.

94.1%
  2. No, I don't think Starbound needs damage animations.

5.9%
  1. Sirnak

Sirnak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Most of you guys know probably know Minecraft and Terraria. Good games. But I don't want to start a debate about those and compare them to Starbound. What I'd like to point out is the complete lack of damage animations in all these games.

For me at least, damage animation is pretty important and useful to immerse the gamer. That's why I feel the fighting in Minecraft and Terraria pretty empty even if somewhat challenging at times (I apologize if there was some update in any of these games that added damage animations since I'm not really up to date).

I know that damage animations would be a real pain in the *** for the sprite artist(s) since he/she would need to draw "damage sprites" for all the clothes, which could possibly almost double his/her spriting job for character clothing. But I do think that feeling the recoil of attacks on your character would be interesting.

Do you guys think it's a good idea?

2. Blue-Demon

Blue-Demon Sandwich Man

Do you mean as in
    1. If character has less then 50% health he/she will start looking tired.
    2. If Character has less then 25% health he/she will take right arm and place it on top left shoulder +1
    3. if character has less then 10% health he/she will start limping when walking +1 & 2.

3. Remnant Drive

Remnant Drive Pangalactic Porcupine

4. Animation for taking damage. Getting knocked back is something/flashing are things that also occur in Terraria and Minecraft.

4. Xegan Hive

Xegan Hive Subatomic Cosmonaut

Perhaps certain armors parts start to break off or get worn away.

5. Sirnak

Sirnak Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Actually, it's exactly what I meant! Animation for taking damage. I just feel like flashing for taking damage is a bit, I dunno...

I remember some good old platformer games in which your character actually has some animations for taking damage and it seems to make a game much more livelier and smoother. Flashing, at my opinion, doesn't produce such an appropriate effect.

6. Matsu

Matsu Subatomic Cosmonaut

I wouldn't mind a little animation. Your character could maybe stumble back a bit or just get knocked down by a strong enough hit.

7. Herowho

Herowho Pangalactic Porcupine

I get what you're talking about. what with something seems missing when there's no damage animation. It's like, if megaman games didn't have a damage animation when he get hit, it would be kinda weird.

8. Nakano15

Nakano15 Pangalactic Porcupine

Can i enter the game?
    5. If receive a strong damage attack,he will be nocked back,fall on the floor,and try to stand up again.

9. Zoraculus

Zoraculus Smile Guy

[sarcasm]Well, I always start flashing red and getting knockbacked when i get hurt, so I think the animations are pretty correct.[/sarcasm]

6 - If the character gets shot, he will put his arm in the chest/legs/head?

10. Nakano15

Nakano15 Pangalactic Porcupine

7 - If the character dies,a text box will popup,and you can write the character's last words to send to his family.

11. kesvalk

kesvalk Cosmic Narwhal

the hit animations of metroid: zero mission were very good, and yes, it seems like something is missing without hit animations...

but hit animations possibly mess-up multiplayer in these types of games, two ppl can gank you and abuse the hit animation to kill you...

12. DeusExel

DeusExel Big Damn Hero

I the character is falling from high above he doing a ulta-skilled-ninja-roll when touching the ground...but he still gets damage...
    hey this could be learnable skill: falling from high platforms will give you less damage

13. Zoraculus

Zoraculus Smile Guy

The family might get sad, but the young boy, will get an instinct for revenge, and will want to assume the role of the main player.

That's already a damn good realistic rebirth system.

14. DeusExel

DeusExel Big Damn Hero

you think so? I mean if youre die the hole time im not sure wether you have enough brothers to revenge your death

15. Zoraculus

Zoraculus Smile Guy

Humm, yea, there is also the option that they are making clones of you, and they will assume your role.

16. DeusExel

DeusExel Big Damn Hero

Nice Family cloning their own child to send it into death and doom and death
    btw im for the idea with the last message

17. Zoraculus

Zoraculus Smile Guy

That's the interstellar cruel and sadistic system right?

Anyway, another idea:
    8 - Blood, he gets hit, and then, he bleeds.
    If he is punched strongly enough, he will spit the blood.

18. DeusExel

DeusExel Big Damn Hero

9. If the player dies he can revisit his remaining body parts...
    btw this thread is kinda sadistic

19. Zoraculus

Zoraculus Smile Guy

-Omg, my legs! Might as well grab them for future needs!
    That would be an interesting scene.

20. Blue-Demon

Blue-Demon Sandwich Man

I vote they add all the ideas stated above related to character damage.