1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

Customizeable/Craftable Spaceship/Station

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by madtulip, Dec 9, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. madtulip

madtulip Phantasmal Quasar

Mod was moved here.

Theres seems to be a new mods section , or i didnt see it before :).

Please continue all discussion there.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
    TheAleG and Lynx88 like this.
  2. WolfWave

WolfWave Big Damn Hero

That's pretty impressive, Not the ability to land? Whats' that mean.

3. madtulip

I want two things from this mod.

1st Compleete customizeability of the spaceship as the whole game is a sandbox but just the place where you are the most, youre house, is not. There is an argument that the predesigned static background image makes youre spaceship look prettier which can be circumvented with a lot of placeable thus flexible decorative items (wings, thrusters, satellite dish) even adding the ability to make those decorative items animated.

2nd i want the spaceship to be able to land on a planet surface. in terraria there was the house building aspect. the house was IN the planet enviroment which means it was subject to goblin army raids and so on. As we have multiple planets now its rarely ever feasable (to time consuming) to rebuild youre whole house on the next planet. I enjoyed the housebuilding and hoarding of stuff in the house a lot in terraria and the only way i can see to port this to this game is to have a house on the planet that you can take with you from planet to planet. a spaceship that could be landed on the planet surface and which can be customized like everything else block by block would be ideal imo. with my current mod you can customize youre spaceship(house) in space, but not have THAT house on the planet surface.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
    Milly Rainbowskittlez likes this.
  4. Sweetcandyflip

Sweetcandyflip Orbital Explorer

thats a great idea but i see one problem... how would landing a spaceship work in multiplayer?? Multiple Spaceships on one planet?

5. madtulip

well yes. everybody would be able to do that with his own ship. atm the problem is more how to copy the blockmap from the shipworld to the planet and back. how to synchronize it so you cant dupe and how to use it in multiplayer is a secondary concern for me atm. :)

6. madtulip

Update to Rev.10 is up
    Cleaned a lot of code, rebalanced item costs, fixed a crash in Rev.9.

7. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

I like this. I support :3
    I think it would be possible to bring in several of the decorations that the current uneditable ships have, either making them into set pieces or perhaps even buildable through blocks in several cases. In either case, this is a good idea.

i dont think we would be looking at the ship actually appearing on the map. I think the best way to handle going planet side is if you made the ship actually movable. Things get iffy there though. It would be a nice touch if implemented, and we could have moving airships if this was successful.

8. madtulip

youre interpretation of "moveable" is interesting. i was so far only aiming at lets call it "placeable". the spaceship would be placed in orbit and one you beam down to the planet it would be placed on the ground. you have the same spaceship in both "worlds". but to make it moveable inside the world would be very interesting i agree :). ill take a look at that as soon as the other thing works. i believe it would bandwith wise be very intense as it can probably be compared with sand blocks falling down. if i connect to my server localy this is not a problem for huge ammounts of sand. if i connect over the global extern IP adress it is a problem. same thing will apply to many blocks on a big ship. anyway i give that i try one the "placeable" part is done.

9. Milly Rainbowskittlez

Milly Rainbowskittlez Cosmic Narwhal

well with the way youre wanting to do it, it would not be possible for multiplayer. This is the only possibility that i see.

10. TooManySecrets

TooManySecrets Sandwich Man

Hey Madtulip, just wanted to point out that your mod folder is written like this MadTulip but the config file has a different path /Madtulip/ which makes the game crash.

Also i have sent you a email with some pixel art for the human ship for you to use since i have no idea on have to make decorative items.

11. vmrob

vmrob Poptop Tamer

Ew, svn -- where's the git repo?!?

Edit: I'm actually pretty serious. It seems that git is the new thing with regards to version control and the fact that it's distributed and *really* easy to work with makes it worth more imo. You can even set yourself up with a git repo for free over at the https://github.com.

12. TooManySecrets

TooManySecrets Sandwich Man

I prefer svn, download Tortoise and you can just right click in windows to download that link to any folder. Also right click and update and it gets a new version if there is one.

Been using svn in Garrys Mod for a long time now.

13. madtulip

thank you very much for the crash report. uploading the fix now. ill look into your files in a moment.

14. madtulip

Google allows to switch between svn git and mercurial with just one click. I personaly did grow up with svn and like that in almost all systems apart from windows you can just quick and dirty hit the command line while on the same time beeing able to have a nice gui integration with i.e. tortoise. mycurrent server has only a ssh terminal and im not sure if git is a native part of almost all linux kernels? maybe not. ist just the worlds best copy command. love it :).

15. vmrob

vmrob Poptop Tamer

It's not part of the kernel though if you're asking if git comes pre-installed, then the answer is yes for many linux distros. Regardless, it's trivial to install on distros that have yum or apt. As for Windows, though, I just use mingw for a proper shell. I suppose I just find git to be more convenient/popular with the software I download.

At the very least, however, you should provide a normal download link so that people don't actually have to install software just to download your mod.

Milly Rainbowskittlez likes this.
  16. vmrob

vmrob Poptop Tamer

Also, I think you might have a typo in your installation instructions:

17. vmrob

vmrob Poptop Tamer

Typo in resistor 4k7 description: "A commong resistor type"

18. madtulip

hahaha :). thanks. yea and i seriously messed up the last few commits :). i hope we have reached a stable orbit again :) thx for the bug reports. rev.16 "should" be stable again.

19. Sushiy

Sushiy Seal Broken

I'm sorry but somehow I'm getting a 404 files not found error when I try to use svn on this :(
    I'd really like to try it though :/ couldn't you set up a "normal" Download link? I know thats kinda tedious buuut ..
    Edit: nevermind :zzz: got it working:) forgot to add that /svn/trunk...the "read-only checkout" doesnt work though:/

20. madtulip

Sounds like a type to me as i double that google.com is down :). anyway ive added a not so frequently updated direct link in the first post. HF! :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.