Modding Help Customize Crafting?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by nickc01, Aug 22, 2016.

1. nickc01

nickc01 Phantasmal Quasar

Is there a way to customize some of the aspects of crafting?

• Is there a way the make a furnace that crafts faster overall than others, or
    • A way to make a furnace that crafts while you are away, or
    • A way to craft two items at once?
    I tried searching through the assets and I"m unable to see anything that can make those ideas possible.

2. Marinebeast

Marinebeast Existential Complex

I'm fairly certain that the crafting speed of an item is determined in the item's recipe, under "duration".
    If you want to make it so you can craft stuff faster, I'd make patches that modify the duration value of the vanilla items that you wish to make.

3. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

1. Crafting times are directly written to recipes so you would have to make a crafting station that directly can pull that value and manipulate it to make faster crafting. (Likely with Lua)
    2. Because crafting menus of the standard stations are object dependant, closing them stops crafting. You would need to likely make a scripted crafting menu that can stay open even if you are away. Or an object script that does something similar. (Also requiring Lua)
    3. Two things at once? Not sure how to go about that, but I will say, if it is possible, it will need Lua to be done.
    Essentially, the sum of this: Everything might be able to be done as you say, but you are going to need knowledge in programming.
    Otherwise, settling for smaller solutions like just lowering crafting times globally, etc. may be best.

4. nickc01

nickc01 Phantasmal Quasar

I do know fairly well how to script in lua. The main issue i'm having is that I can't find any scripts in the assets that handle crafting, nor can I find a documentation that talks about crafting via scripting.

5. Inf_Wolf14

Inf_Wolf14 Parsec Taste Tester

None of the core scripts such as crafting are available to us. The most that can be done is pseudo-crafting like which was used with container-type objects before we got scripted interfaces.
    Unless of course, you figure out a way to do so with scripted GUIs.

That's why I say the smaller solutions may be best.