Modding Help Custom Weapon Abilities?

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Kordharin, Nov 7, 2018.

1. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

Hey modders, been a while, but I wanted to get started on another part of my mod.

I want a special ability for each of the strongest broadswords from my mod, and I don't know where to start with making said abilities. Most of them will have a steady energy drain, and some other effects, like applying certain buffs, or changing player mobility and defense. How should I go about that?

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Look at other existing weapon abilities and go from there. That would be your best bet.

3. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

From what I can tell, the Rune Swap would be the easiest to make, as it's almost exactly the same as the Adaptable Crossbow's secondary ability.

For the others, though… Any suggestions for where I can look for a similar ability?

4. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

You basically wanna make the monado,nah?

5. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

Eh? "Monado"? I don't think I've heard of it.

6. Nexus Of Chaos

Nexus Of Chaos Parsec Taste Tester

Shulk from Smash, Xenoblade Chronicles

7. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

I don't play those… so no wonder I'm in the dark. I'll look 'em up, though.

8. D.M.G.

D.M.G. Master Astronaut

I'm just saying, what you seem to wanna do sounds a lotta like this...

...And I like it! ^^

9. Kordharin

Kordharin Big Damn Hero

It's a really neat sword, the Monado. I'm glad you like this idea I've been having for a while. I was just bringing back the Broken Starter Swords from back in the Beta days of Starbound, and with a wee twist.

Without much guesswork you should be able to tell which ability goes with which sword: Shining Phoenix, Upheaval, Nature's Vengeance, Hero's Valor, Serene Storm, Rune Swap.

D.M.G. likes this.