RELEASED Custom Critters 1.2.7

Allows you to add custom critters to the world.

1. spacechase0

spacechase0 Ketchup Robot

spacechase0 submitted a new mod:

Custom Critters - Allows you to add custom critters to the world.

Read more about this mod...

• Shenz

Shenz Aquatic Astronaut

• spacechase0

• spacechase0

• boocat

boocat Void-Bound Voyager

Hi! I think this is a great idea. Do I have to do something, or does it automatically just stick critters about? (Please excuse me if this seems to be a silly question.)

• spacechase0

You need to download mods that use this mod, like Eemie's Bees or Critters on Artifact Spots.

• spacechase0

spacechase0 updated Custom Critters with a new update entry:

Added some features.

Read the rest of this update entry...

• spacechase0

spacechase0 updated Custom Critters with a new update entry:

Bugfixes.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Flumme likes this.
            • Flumme

Flumme Subatomic Cosmonaut

GREAT mod, thanks so mutch for it. @spacehase :)

• spacechase0

• devilsandswords

devilsandswords Void-Bound Voyager

This is great! I'm working on some butterflies that hang around flower type things, but I have a few questions as i'm getting stuck.
                Is it possible to have the critters attached to crops? If so would I need the object id or something instead of the name?
                And is it possible to attach critters to multiple types of objects in one .JSON file?
                For example, attaching critters to both a chest and scarecrow placed outside. I have tried but they only appear around the first object, or neither at all.

• KungfuSarah

KungfuSarah Void-Bound Voyager

@spacechase0 I love your mod! It'd be amazing if you could update this for the new beta, the game looses a lot of charm without it... Also, same question as @devilsandswords, I'm trying to make little fairies fly around fairy roses at night :) I dont code stuff good so I just need to know if attaching it to a crop is at all possible, and if so is the object id valid? Anyways, I'll be keeping an eye out to see if you'll update it!

Edit: would also like to add foxes and deer to the game who basically do the same thing as the rabbits. Can I do that with this mod? Or will they just keep wandering around randomly? Sorry as I said, I don't code stuff good. If anyone's still here that could help, that'd be much appreciated. Thanks bye

Last edited: May 26, 2018
                  • lifenoodles

lifenoodles Void-Bound Voyager

anyone know where I can find mods that use this mod, other than eemie's bees or the artifact spots one?

• shamemaker

shamemaker Guest

Cranber's Fireflies also uses this mod.

• DreamerDrop

DreamerDrop Scruffy Nerf-Herder

https://www.nexusmods.com/stardewvalley/mods/1706

This is pretty good for just random critters running around, really helps the game feel alive.

• spacechase0

blargsnarf likes this.
                        • blargsnarf

blargsnarf Pangalactic Porcupine

Posting here too in case you read here more often:

The manifest.json still says this is 1.2.2.

It's also causing errors and not working in-game. Here's a parsed SMAPI log, if that helps:

https://log.smapi.io/NX1rMN0R

• Galebourn

Galebourn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

For the sake of the argument, let's assume that I'm a complete idiot. If I want to use this to add my own custom critter (a self-drawn squirrel or something), what exactly would I have to do? There's no readme, I can't really edit the files and I my modding skills are kinda non-existent, but I'm able to learn.

• plasticpalfun

plasticpalfun Poptop Tamer

There are a fair number of critical errors appearing in the SMAPI console, all along these lines. I'm only using eemie's butterflies atm.

Code:
                              [Custom Critters] This mod failed in the PlayerEvents.Warped event. Technical details:
                              StardewModdingAPI.Framework.Exceptions.SContentLoadException: The asset key or local path is empty.
                              at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.BaseContentManager.AssertAndNormaliseAssetName(String assetName)
                              at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.GameContentManager.Load[T](String assetName, LanguageCode language)
                              at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.BaseContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
                              at StardewValley.AnimatedSprite.loadTexture()
                              at StardewValley.AnimatedSprite..ctor(String textureName, Int32 currentFrame, Int32 spriteWidth, Int32 spriteHeight)
                              at CustomCritters.CustomCritter..ctor(Vector2 pos, CritterEntry data)
                              at CustomCritters.CritterEntry.makeCritter(Vector2 pos)
                              at CustomCritters.Mod.onLocationChanged(Object sender, EventArgsPlayerWarped args)
                              at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.Events.ManagedEvent`1.Raise(TEventArgs args)
                              [Custom Critters] This mod failed in the PlayerEvents.Warped event. Technical details:
                              StardewModdingAPI.Framework.Exceptions.SContentLoadException: The asset key or local path is empty.
                              at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.BaseContentManager.AssertAndNormaliseAssetName(String assetName)
                              at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.GameContentManager.Load[T](String assetName, LanguageCode language)
                              at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.ContentManagers.BaseContentManager.Load[T](String assetName)
                              at StardewValley.AnimatedSprite.loadTexture()
                              at StardewValley.AnimatedSprite..ctor(String textureName, Int32 currentFrame, Int32 spriteWidth, Int32 spriteHeight)
                              at CustomCritters.CustomCritter..ctor(Vector2 pos, CritterEntry data)
                              at CustomCritters.CritterEntry.makeCritter(Vector2 pos)
                              at CustomCritters.Mod.onLocationChanged(Object sender, EventArgsPlayerWarped args)
                              at StardewModdingAPI.Framework.Events.ManagedEvent`1.Raise(TEventArgs args)

succmilky likes this.
                              • succmilky

succmilky Void-Bound Voyager

Bro I get the exact same error as you can someone provide help please, I just want bees and butterflies around ya feel?