Modding Help Custom Biome/Planet Mod not Generating Worlds

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by sl_1138, Oct 14, 2017.

1. sl_1138

sl_1138 Void-Bound Voyager

Hi all,

I've been trying to build a custom biome/planet mod. I've read through as much info as I can, about how the patching/path system works, how mods are installed, the old and new ways etc. This is my first post, so if I've put this in the wrong place I apologize and please let me know where else to post it.

Files

I've created a new folder and subfolder of the same name in the mods folder, ie, mods > "modname" > "modname".

In this folder I've got the following custom files:

.metadata
    "modname".modinfo
    player.config.patch
    celestial.config.patch
    terrestrial_worlds.config.patch

I've customized a "modname".biome file in the "modname" > biomes > surface directory. I've tested the files' code after stripping the comments in various patching testers online and so far have found and fixed all errors to my knowledge.

I've compared my code to the core unpaked code as well as other mods I've downloaded to see whether I'm doing things correctly in terms of dungeons, weather, images, parallax layers, etc. and so far I think I've got everything adequately covered.

I've added a interface > cockpit > cockpit.config.patch file to make sure my planet is visible in the cockpit, along with its icon.

I've added the files needed for new trees to be spawned, and I can actually get and plant them in game when I use the admin code to spawn the specific saplings.

I'm working on some custom armor, which is also working fine and visible both as spawned and in the recipe list for crafting on the anvil.

The Issue

But after restarting the game with a fresh character and universe probably 200 times now, I still can't get my custom biome to randomly generate. I can get the armor and spawn the tree saplings, but can't get the world.

I've checked the error log and only see a couple other errors pertaining to other things, like a failed Steam achievement or another mod I had installed and was causing errors, so I removed it. I see no errors related to my mod's failure, but rather it seems to indicate it is loading the resources just fine.

So, what do I do next? Any suggestions are really appreciated. What is the best way to diagnose where the error is? Which files should I post here for you to review, if helpful? Would it be just the celestial.config.patch and terrestrial_worlds.config.patch files that need checking for this issue, or do you need to check all files? Is it possible that a single parallax image error or something could cause all instances of that planet type to disappear (but not report the errors? Or am I simply doing this all wrong since I'm using the Steam version?

Thank you so much for your help. You guys are the best.

2. bk3k

bk3k Oxygen Tank

Well one minor thing - you don't need a .modinfo file anymore. _metadata or .metadata takes the place of .modinfo. That's certainly NOT your issue, but I figured I'd mention it.

In case you hadn't seen it already, and it case it could help you - https://community.playstarbound.com/threads/adding-biomes-101.101968/

Now anyone telling you what you're doing wrong with your code is next to impossible without actually seeing it. celestial.config.patch and terrestrial_worlds.config.patch would be the big ones. But also the biome files. Best to just throw your whole WIP project into a .zip or .7z file and attach it here. Granted I probably won't have time until after the weekend. But I might depending if I catch it right off. Someone else may also figure it out in that time.

I'll also mention it isn't any different having Steam really. For your in-development mod though, rather than uploading it to the workshop it is better to just have it in \mods\ instead. Starbound will load mods from \mods\ and the workshop folder too(but \mods\ before workshop).

3. sl_1138

sl_1138 Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks bk3k! That's really helpful. I removed the .modinfo file. The zip attached should contain everything from my mod so far.
    It's basically a Forest Moon of Endor mod with a new biome (forestmoon, not replacing forest) with an Ewok armor set (eventually a new Ewok race, because it doesn't exist in the Star Wars mod yet I believe), new trees and art. Currently I've pulled the redwood tree files from Frackin Universe as a starting point but my plan is to customize and repaint it all myself once I can get it all working.

I'll also read through that link and see what I can learn - looks like a great tutorial!

Attached Files: