1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed CURRENT WORK-AROUNDS (Try these if you're having issues!)

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by mollygos, Dec 4, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Fizzy Amp

Fizzy Amp Void-Bound Voyager

Please update about fps issue since this is a week old, Devs. Thanks

2. The Alien Way

The Alien Way Existential Complex

You can use Notepad to open the config in Starbound folder and can turn vsync off (if this has been mentioned here already, sorry! Saw it here in one of the many "fps" posts), helps some, but as I've been saying I think the root of 90% of these fps issues won't be solved by anything but optimization.. My laptop sucks (2.20ghz core 2 duo, 4gb ram, intel express chipset family 4 graphics (integrated), and I can play Sims 3 without turning much of anything down.. Starbound pegs my CPU out at 100% pretty often :p

I think it'd be beneficial, for players and forum spam in general, to get around to optimization/graphics quality reduction options sooner rather than later (phase 2).. Particle count, lighting flicker/quality, useless NPC count (non-questgiver/non-shopkeeper NPCs, or identify and tackle whatever issue is causing the village/dungeon lag), sand/gravel/water optimization (or maybe even toggles to remove them entirely?!), weather quality reduction, moving plants/trees, general texture quality, windowed resolution available in options, moving backgrounds, all that good stuff :p

3. Boognyte

Boognyte Void-Bound Voyager

i posted this today in the afternoon

4. Sevyn77

Sevyn77 Void-Bound Voyager

Hello everyone. I was having the issue where I couldn't teleport from the space ship, or select the chair to move worlds. My problem was my characters were "gone", so i created a new one. Well while I could no longer use my old character, his files still existed. So the game creates three files when you create a character. A Player file, a metadata file, and last a shipworld file. Well because my new character had the same name as my old, and they key's don't match the game would crash. Easy fix is to find the folder in the install directory that contains your player files and delete them all (or the old ones if you can identify them). Then restart your game. If your like me you now should have no problem. So just a quick recap, close the game, find your player folders delete all files, reopen game, create new character, and pow you should be good to go. I hope this helps! thanks guys!

5. KethuDar

KethuDar Tentacle Wrangler

Doesn't work anymore. If you try to start it that way, the launcher starts instead the game. Atm i cant play because this... -.-

6. SirSebie

SirSebie Guest

I cannot get the Tweet badge even though I tweeted :/

7. LaTeX

LaTeX Space Hobo

I found that reinstalling the game took care of all of my crashes - Long hangtime at loading screen, crash at character select (stack trace error), random crashes in general.

8. Tathar

Tathar Pangalactic Porcupine

9. Jman1177

Jman1177 Void-Bound Voyager

Try this steam-related fix. It resolved the problem for somebody in my house,
    http://www.edugeek.net/forums/gaming/39417-fix-steam-thinks-its-running-compatibility-mode.html

Yes, please! I still haven't been able to play the game and I'd love to get it fixed :)

dj21095 likes this.
  10. Quake_Sinatra

Quake_Sinatra Void-Bound Voyager

Post - New graze-able grass patch - game no longer launches from Steam - click play and nothing -- wait a few seconds the starbound windows starts "shaking" reformatting text over and over - friend status states "playing starbound" for a second then not in game .. over and over. i CAN launch the game manually. Only not working when launching from the steam app.
    Using Debian Wheezy 64 -
    Also started having game freezes since the new patch . having issues replicating them though.
    was dropping down a level in my house once and picking up a chest on my ship once.
    killed from command line and restarted fine.
    work-around - use the command line
    not great but a least you can play

rant mode on

FYI as far as coding goes - optimization is done at the end - making sure everything runs right is first - then making it faster. BETA code tends to be bigger and uglier (comments, hacks etc .. more bloat ) cutting it down to fastest possible is the last step before code goes gold. During BETA expect it to be faster one patch then not so much then faster its all normal in the cycle of BETA. You are paying to get the game before everyone else in the understanding that you will put it up with bugs and slowness and general weirdness, and hopefully submit bug reports and suggestions. You are a valued member of the testing team and have influence on the game. Enjoy the early access and help shape the game

- sorry the board really wears on you after a while reading. Go DEV's - we appreciate everything you are doing!

rant mode off

Last edited: Dec 13, 2013
    doobydude likes this.
  11. zaph34r

zaph34r Poptop Tamer

Please add the few known workarounds for the "clicking play in steam does absolutely nothing" issue.
    http://community.playstarbound.com/index.php?threads/solution-launcher-not-launching.35421/
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...fix-to-launcher-does-not-launch-at-all.45679/
    http://community.playstarbound.com/...uncher-doesnt-do-anything.50435/#post-1502717

The issue pops up again all the time, but the threads are buried in minutes, and people have no clue what to do because there is no log or error message.

12. Quake_Sinatra

Quake_Sinatra Void-Bound Voyager

Good point added some linux style instructions.

13. Adriano-kun

Adriano-kun Space Spelunker

Try using the pirated version.. There's no other way.

14. GamerHound

GamerHound Space Spelunker

can you give me a play by play on how to do this? :)

15. Ardul'Tel

Ardul'Tel Void-Bound Voyager

Yes! i am as well; when i click "Launch Starbound" i hear a ding, no window no error message, though when i open the Task manager it says that its eating up about 600k in memory but no dice. it doesn't load. ive also restarted my comp and steam and that doesnt work either

16. KethuDar

KethuDar Tentacle Wrangler

In this case, i'll wait... no way i'm using a cracked version of this game.

17. Kellins

Kellins Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I brought and installed windows 7, the game works fine now. It for my problem it was just the fact that I was using Windows XP

18. Nazosan

Nazosan Void-Bound Voyager

So has anyone ever found any sort of true solution to the massive slowdowns in villages and such? I mean, my CPU isn't the greatest -- the AMD A4-5300 -- but as far as I can determine it's really roughly equal to my old E6750 (which was faster than the Q6600 that someone here has reported plays the game fine -- the Q6600 just had the advantage of being quad core, but the E6750 had more L2 cache than the norm and ran at a higher clock rate than the Q6600, so in a game like this should perform better.) It's worse in some ways, yes, but overall more or less evens out with some advantages, a higher clock rate (though the APUs are a bit funny about their clock rates with more power saving or something making them effectively like a lower speed CPU of previous generations in most things, it still should somewhat compare well.) I was using an ATI Radeon HD5570 videocard when I first started the game and chalked it up to the fact that most of them have tons of light sources and such, so maybe it was the videocard, but now I'm using a nVidia Geforce GTX460 which far exceeds anything this game could ever legitimately do.

I've disable threaded optimization (it has NEVER said "multicore" in the nVidia drivers at any time so like so many others here, I presume this is what they really meant?) and I've tried disabling vsync (BAD IDEA!!! This makes ME feel ill after playing the game for a while due to the way some things are going way too fast like the popup windows and the fast changes in framerates -- and I grew up playing games like Descent.) I checked to make sure no compatibility modes were set for Steam (none) and I've tried both the OpenGL and standard versions of the game. I think disabling threaded optimizations helped, but it's still probably around 15-20 FPS at best (versus maybe 5-15 with that on) if I go into a village. I'm not even sure about that difference because I went through killing every single NPC and I've exited and restarted a few times, so it's also possible that it's just cleared up. (I'm not going to hunt for another village right now as I'm only just now restarting after the last patch and don't even have fuel right now.) At times the game is basically unplayable. Literally. The character just keeps running even after I let go of the button, the bow won't release (and of course timing is utterly impossible,) NPCs are running around almost randomly (even past me!) and my shots go wild, sword attacks are impossible because they hit me five times before I can get one attack out, and so on...

Outside of villages, the game can be a bit choppy at times (the more things on the screen at once, the worse it gets as one might guess) but overall is pretty tolerable, but in a village it's painful. So painful that it makes me feel ill from all the skipping (and again, I grew up with games like Descent without getting sick... That one was practically famous for making people throw up: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Descent_(video_game)#Movement_and_navigation)

19. aakatu

aakatu Space Hobo

20. xSeminex

xSeminex Poptop Tamer

Hey guys!

i dont really know where im supposed to post it so.. yeah..

i just placed an propeller directly at the spawn on my spaceship ( i know.. so fkn retarded )
    the propeller kills me instantly so my character is totally useless now.. ideas?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.