Crossfang's Starbound Workshop (Hiatus)

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Crossfang, Oct 15, 2015.

1. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Pardon my double post.
    Today is Sunday, and it's boring, not much to do. So, I just did the background.
    Almost done!
    Next post will be the finished work, which I'll be continuing later, and maybe posting it tomorrow.

wip no. 4

[​IMG]

2. BlueShard

BlueShard Giant Laser Beams

I'm sure August Sharp-eye is quite...adept...at preparing his meals.

3. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

That's right, he's a head chef at a very prestigious restaurant. He looks clean on the outside, but nobody knows about his inner desires. When it comes to preparing meals, he is very... meticulous...

4. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Here's the final work! Also, I've written a context about this piece below, if you're interested to read it.

[​IMG]

Cornered
    This is Meruem Hatoshi, a skilled swordsman. He moved to the city to look for a job. Currently, he got cornered by a Floran named August Sharp-eye, a very influential chef in a famous restaurant. He is very skilled with knives and performs it with grace and haste. But under that graceful work, lies his carnal desires, his Floran fangs craves for Hylotl flesh. He has never been caught and all of his 19 victims were thought to be missing, and most of them are Hylotls.

Can Meruem survive this ordeal, or will he become the 20th victim of August.. We will never know...

5. Firebird Zoom

Firebird Zoom Oxygen Tank

I don't know why, but the stances in that picture just look a little unnatural, or at least really uncomfortable and a waste of energy to use.

The Purple Dragon and Crossfang like this.
  6. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Looks ok to me. But then again, we all have our own opinions, I just need to respect yours , and we're good. xD

7. Firebird Zoom

My main issue it that it looks like you just put two action figures on a set.

August's stance and arm placement make sense, but the orientation of the cleaver in his right hand is just asking for him to accidentally lop his other hand off, a mistake he probably shouldn't be making if this is his 20th kill. If the scene was the prelude to an actual fight, he would likely either have his arms hanging at his sides, or he would have the knives twisted so that the edge of the blades are facing his opponent.

Meruem's stance, on the other hand, is extremely impractical. A blade like that is only held in one hand if it is being pointed at something or if it is paired with a shield or another weapon. If he were holding it with both hands, it would be excusable, but the way he's holding it would fatigue his wrist and wear him out much faster.

Though, if you ever draw something like that again, find some props that could stand in for whatever your subjects are holding and make the pose yourself.

8. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

As you can see, I did that on the sketch phase , but I want to make it look maniacal side, like taunting him in a manner. I know it's a one-hand sword in Meruem but I chose that pose to make him look defensive and ready in the art. Not all needs practicality in art , realism isn't always needed. If everything is all about practicality , art would be boring itself.

I'm still gonna make my works like this, no need for props.. My style is my style. If you don't like it, I'm ok with it.

Rgbunpro and Firebird Zoom like this.
  9. Firebird Zoom

It's ok, it was just a little irking.

The Purple Dragon likes this.
  10. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

For what purpose though? I thought it's a good criticism.. now that you've said that.. i dont know anymore.

11. Firebird Zoom

Um... What? I was just a little annoyed by the unrealistic poses the two were in.

The Purple Dragon likes this.
  12. Deadmine135

Deadmine135 Big Damn Hero

August remind me of Antoine from Dead rising 2 for some reason hehe =3

August: HOW DARE YOU....I AM AUGUST I AM THE KING OF CUISINE!!!!

13. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Oh , I thought you're trying to say that you're trying to annoy me. The poses being "unrealistic" is debatable., impractical? maybe.

14. Tyle

Tyle Existential Complex

In your defense, practicality is probably the least of concern for a raging madfloranman.

Okay, I kinda agree with Zoom that this looks a bit off, but here's the thing - you did a fantastic job with the lighting here, well, actually, a little too great and it kinda out-ranks the rest of the picture. If one aspect is done exceptionally well people are surely going to expect so much for the rest of the piece and the flaws stand out. That's what I think.

Also, perspective is HARD, that probably helps/doesn't help.

15. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Thanks for noticing that, I've really outdone myself with the lighting, intentionally.
    I know I overdid it , especially in a dark alley setting like this one. I just like to play with those aspects in some of my works. I wanted to tone it down but, I just can't! I got too attached to it. xD

Tough decisions I guess, but in the end, I chose what I think looks best in my mind.

16. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Next project! Still trying to practice on making different body proportions. What are they looking at? Something that I want to try in my art for a long time. You'll just have to wait what that is. Three subjects, different races, 1 race that I always draw, and 2 races that I don't usually draw. This is going to be a fun project for me xD

[​IMG]

17. Firebird Zoom

Sorry about the confusion.

18. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

wip no. 2

Yes, ot a complicated one- Bubbles. I'm currently practicing its form, its color, and everything atm. We'll see how far it goes.

[​IMG]

19. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

wip no. 3

I really want to post a poll. i want to involve anyone in some ways. I feel like just watching my progress is boring. xD
    But I'm still waiting for it to be fixed.

[​IMG]

20. Crossfang

Crossfang Supernova

Quick Update!

Here's the final work. I don't know, I just want to make an art with bubbles in it. xD
    Nextt, let's stray away from starbound art in the meantime.
    I want to make something difficult-ish... Let's do.... Settings, locations, or places. I'm thinking of making one project as of now.

[​IMG]

Bubbly Greens​