Modding Discussion Creativity issue and aesthetic mod making

Discussion in 'Mods' started by mirnamika, Sep 29, 2018.

1. mirnamika

mirnamika Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hello, I wanted to start a discussion on something that I would love to hear your opinions on, but would share mine as well. I often find myself wanting to start an aesthetic mod that has a bigger impact on the game, like buildings, but my creativity and the knowledge of pixel art is very limited. So I end up spending big amounts, or to say huge amounts of time doing my own personal edits of my favorite building mods, merging, recoloring, mixing works of people more artistically inclined than me for my own game and feeling like I created something worth sharing. What comes here in question is the fact that as a mixer you didn't create most of the stuff and that you probably wouldn't even get the consent of the mod authors which pieces of work you used because they're inactive, don't want their work edited or if you did get the consent people would probably consider you less of a mod maker. To you is it morally wrong to make personal edits on mods and is a person that shares mod's they did edits/ recolors on (with the original authors consent of course) any less of a modder? (all of this does not include mod thieves who do everything without consent and giving credit and publish mods as their own original work)

• Zosa

Zosa Cosmic Narwhal

it's only wrong if you share the creations with others though we are only now just coming out of the 'wild west' era of modding where it is socially acceptable to take anything you want and pass around anything you make of it. for sure though if you just keep it for yourself then you are not harming anyone so it is only your own feelings that need to be consulted

as for me i always feel that without the creators consent it is wholly wrong to publish/post creations that are not fully yours. this being said i am an artist who dabbles in games :rofl: i am right in the thick of co-creation and all the things that go with it

• Karmylla

Karmylla Space Kumquat

If you do not have the consent from the original creator, you have no right to share anything that involves their work.
        If you're editing the files for personal use only, then that's your business.