Creating your own Planet

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by The Enderman, Jul 19, 2012.

1. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

Have you ever wanted to have a planet completely under your control?
    Is that empty space in the sky just begging to be filled up?
    Then wait no more! This simple(ish) system will let you make a planet completely to your own liking in just a few steps:

1. The Planet Itself

First, you will have to collect 1000 "units" of matter. Dirt, stone, ores, bottles of liquids, etc. The more of a material you put in, the higher percentage of the planet will be made of that material (one unit is equal to 0.1%). DIrt will always be on top, lave closer to te bottom, etc.

Now you have your planet. What? It doesn't look like one? We can fix that, with, The Planetary Hypercharger. This machine will be very expensive to make (as the game isn't out, I can't make a recipe for it), but is required to make your planet. It is located in your Space Station.

You insert the materials into the machine, which will make it into a "Planet Seed". Step one is now complete.

2. Making it Your Own.

Now you have a basic seed. But if you made it into a planet now, it would just be a lifeless, boring, uninhabited rock. We need to give it a few more features.

In the next chamber of the machine, you create the more minor (but still important) details, such as weather, plant life, etc. Here is how to make them.

Plant Life: To create plant life, simply insert the seed of the species you want, with a max of 10 seeds. It can be trees, shrubs, mushrooms (technically not plants, but still have "seeds"). The more of one type of seed, the more that plant grows. If the enviroment you chose for the planet doesn't support that type of plant, it will still generate, but die shortly afterward.

Weather: Weather is simply choosen, you can choose average temperature, storm frequency, storm type, and what liquid falls as rain. You can also choose wind speeds, length of day, and cloud cover.

Gravity and Size: Choose the size of your planet, and raise its gravity to 200% or lower it to 50%.

Density: The frequency caves spawn, the lower the density, the more caves.

The Core: What type of core you planet has (cold, hot, electic, etc.) and how big the cavern around it is.

3. Creation

After you are happy with what you have created, the machine launches the seed, which will explode into a full-sized planet. It will be automatically set as your home planet, so you can access it easily. You can now name your planet, and create a pixelated logo for it.

After that, you are given a screen with an outline of your planet, in which you can drag the ground up/down to create things such s mountains, lakes, etc. Smalle details will still have to be done by hand, but this saves a lot of time.

But something is missing. Animal Life.

4. Let There be Life

Right now, your planet has no animal life. To populate it, your going to need to collect DNA from your species of choice. Here is how to spread life on your planet:

Collect A Sample: First, you have to extract blood from the species of your choice, be it penguins, crabs, or bugs, it is up to you.

Create a Life Seed: Take the blood to the very same machine used to create your planet, and use it to create a life seed. When creating the life seed You can choose its:

Max Evolution Stage: The maximum stage of evolution the species will reach, the stages are as follows:

Primative - Small scavengers, no real defences, large in numbers.

Average - Somewhat intelligent, build nests, small-medium in numbers.

Intelligent - Capable of building simple structures and tools, small-medium in numbers

Civilized - Capable of speaking, building housing, simple vehicles, and raising animals. Vary in numbers.

Advanced - Modern. Advanced computers, vehicles, housing, and weapons. Highly intelligent. Vary in numbers.

Evolution Rate: How fast they evolve. Minimum is one real-life day per stage, maximum is 2 real-life weeks per stage. Evolution continues while the game is off.

Launch the seed: Launch the seed on to your planet, the species will start to appear in one hour. They will evole around the enviroment of the planet, but stil be slightly procedurally generated. A planet can support up to 10 species, but only 3 over the Intelligent evolution stage.

Now your planet is complete! Oh, you don't like it? No problem! simply create a new one, and the old one will be sent back as a seed, preequiped with animal life, and can be stored in you Space Station.
    Note: Life will have to re-evolve if you re-launch the planet seed.

Thats it for now! I'll try to update this every once in a while.

Thank you for reading.

XRiZUX, D7C98, qazxcwe and 4 others like this.
  2. buzzyrecky

buzzyrecky Pangalactic Porcupine

As long as this is made for the VERY endgame stages of Starbound, I'll approve. I think it'd take the fun of the randomness out, but by then we'd probably all already have home bases set up on planets we like so idk.

It's a really interesting and well thought out suggestion, so I like it, but it should be something REALLY hard to do.

3. Flixfox

Flixfox Big Damn Hero

Well technically if i'm not mistaken you will be able to terraform completely your home planet (witch is almost like creating your own planet)

But no doubt it is a good idea

4. The Enderman

Yeah, thats the biggest problem. The machine is going to have to be really hard to make, but, as mentioned before, I can't determine how to make it since the game isn't out.
    Thanks though.

True, but this system allows complete control over everything, animal life, weather, size, etc. Terraforming is essentially another step in the process to make it exactly how you want it.
    Plus you can make your own logo. ;)

Flixfox likes this.
  5. TheAwesomeAvian

TheAwesomeAvian Sandwich Man

This is an awesome idea if you cant have a planet creator, at least have the animal generator, that was awesome:DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD :DD

6. 1.1

1.1 Big Damn Hero

wait... does this mean i could just make the world out of the most valuable resource/ore?

7. TheAwesomeAvian

TheAwesomeAvian Sandwich Man

you would have to have collected it first

8. Auraknight

Auraknight Weight of the Sky

Love the idea, but the on problem i'm seeing is that since the game uses co-ordinates for travening saveing and shareing worlds, your "planet" would be client-side, and allmost definatly unvisitable (unless you where server host) + what about random events?
    of course, since you can DESTROY! plaents, theres pro going to be a way to rebuild them. i'd personally like to need to blow up an planet to build a new one, it'd solve a TON of problems

9. creepwolf

creepwolf Giant Laser Beams

so you have to collect matter (dirt rock etc) presumably off other planets
    so in order for you to make a new planet you have to destroy another, why not just edit an existing oneX3

10. The Enderman

The planet would be saved, and be the home planet of anyone on that server, so they can all access it. (though only admins can edit it)

Because this way you can mix several planets together, like have metal planet trees with ice planet dirt. I suppose that you could just edit an existing one, but most people are lazy and want to do it the quick way.X3

11. creepwolf

becuase the quick way is gathering minerals from load of different planets and editing that new planet instead of editing one already made planetX3

12. The Enderman

I assume you are talking about terraforming, correct? well, you cant (or dont WANT to) dig up every tree and replaxe it do you? Or even more extreme, every BLOCK?. Terraforming is still an issue I haven't resolved yet, though now that you got me thinking of it... I got an idea. I'll put it in the OP when I get on my computer. That should solve any (major) terraforming issues.

13. creepwolf

not exactly im just saying that youd rather make a whole new planet and THEN make it how you like it instead of just making an existing planet the way you like it

14. LiquidFox

LiquidFox Space Spelunker

Creator of worlds eh? Maybe they will introduce a ship that will allow something of the sort eventually