Tutorial Creating Underwater Bases on Ocean Planets

Discussion in 'Starbound FAQs, Q&A, and General Help' started by xan713, Feb 9, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. xan713

xan713 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Here's a certain method I use for building at base of oceans. This has photos to help you learn, and I also provide for you to have a way to teleport DIRECTLY to your underwater base, so you don't have to swim to/from the surface of the planet to get to it.

If you followed these steps, and made a base that looks better than mine (Which I'm really sure anyone can make a better base than I can) please post screenshots!

1. Acquire a Breathing Suit tech (If you don't have one already). You can do this without a Breathing Suit Tech, but you need to be fast to not drown.
    [​IMG]

2. Use a common material (like Cobblestone) and just create a very large block made completely of the material you have chosen. Just keep in mind, if you want to make a larger structure than what is shown, you can. It'll probably darken in the middle, like shown, because you'll need light sources in there soon.
    Yes, you can replace with better blocks at a later stage.
    [​IMG]

3. Use the Matter Manipulator tool, and carve out the inside with Left Click, like shown.
    [​IMG]

4. Before you go digging too deep into the hollowed out section, create a hole big enough for you to fit in, and close it in on yourself and then start draining the water with your Matter Manipulator Tool, so you have an airtight room to continue carving out the middle of this big block you are making. I added torches to show you that there isn't water inside (Except what leaked in when I tried getting inside).
    If you DON'T have the drain water feature for your Matter Manipulator, just cover the water that got inside with more Cobblestone, then remove the Cobblestone and it'll be gone.
    [​IMG]

5. Finish carving out the inside, and then if you want to make it bigger inside, add more solid material, and then carve most of it out, allowing just a thin wall border of the material with no gaps to stop water coming in. Customize how ever you like.
    [​IMG]

6. To add additional rooms outside of this building you made, just repeat Steps 1, 2, and 3.
    Here's an example of what I did with some spare materials -
    [​IMG]
    See that door on the far right (above)? Please don't make something like this, unless you either
    A) Don't plan on using it
    B] Create an extra room alongside it with another door so that you don't flood your building :)

7. SPAWNPOINT SETTING - You can set spawnpoint so you spawn down in your sea-base afterward too, here's how it's done:

[​IMG]
    Doing the above will now set your Teleporter to set you to exactly where you are standing.

Show yours off in this thread once you're done!

shuruga and XENOXES like this.
  2. The | Suit

The | Suit Agent S. Forum Moderator

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.