Modding Help Creating new races.

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by CoffeeGiraffe, Dec 14, 2013.

1. CoffeeGiraffe

CoffeeGiraffe Poptop Tamer

Alright. I was looking around how people have made their race mods, but I'm having issues understanding how to approach creating a new race for the game. What I need is a sort of step by step list or something similar that briefly explains all the files I need to access and which parts to tinker with. I know that so far I can get the character creation menu working for a custom race but mostly I'm just shambling in the dark here. Also I don't properly understand the sprites for the character animations. Mainly I'm wondering about the colors. I know they are set by a code command in one of the files but does it matter what color the base sprites are in the /assets/humanoid folder?

2. Kraiten

Kraiten Guest

I suggest downloading an existing race mod and looking at the files they altered. Good luck!

Finn Learson likes this.
  3. tifel100

tifel100 Void-Bound Voyager

If you want I can prepare everything for you, all you would need to do is textures and storyline/history.

Nearo likes this.
  4. Spacerogue

Spacerogue Void-Bound Voyager

Would you mind uploading those somewhere ? I'm having the same issue, tho I got far enough to get a new specie in the select option. I'm no coder at aaaaaall xD

[​IMG]

,but actually playing one end in a strange error, it says 'client-server connection no longer valid' and I just go back to the menu :c

5. tifel100

I'll prepare everything, what did you name your race in the files, draconis too?
    btw, I'm not a coder either :D

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  6. CoffeeGiraffe

That would be swell indeed. I can do all the textures and story stuff as soon as I find enough time to sit down and do pixel art etc. What I had in mind (Don't know if someone else had already done or is doing something similar) is a bovine race which I have currently named "Oxen". Cow people, you see. =D

Spacerogue likes this.
  7. Spacerogue

Thankies ! Yup, should be Draconis everywhere, at least where I could find it to place, and I do hope I got them all.

8. tifel100

Would your race have a custom male/female icon (Not the one for the race, the one you switch gender, like the plant race has flowers)?

well if not, go into draconis.species and read the lines after "//" after I hand you the file.

Last edited: Dec 14, 2013
  9. CoffeeGiraffe

So I fas fooling around with the game sprites, trying different things with them. And I'm pleased to say that they completely baffle me. I don't seem to get the sprite coloring rules at all. I was looking at mods other people have made i.e. Felins and Kangaru mods. For example the underbelly color for the Kangaru race can be changed but I don't find anything that refers to that in the code. The original avian race can, for example, only have a white color for the belly part. So I suppose this has to do with the base colors in the character image files. Are there any special rules regarding which colors you should use when constructing the character animation picture files?

10. tifel100

Go into your assets/species/yourrace.species. scroll to the bottom and you'll see lines like this:
    Code:
    { "ffffff" : "ff0000", "ffff00" : "00ff00", "ff7c00" : "0000ff" }
    Now I color coded these for you.
    as you can see, each 2 are paired together, so let's split them up
    {"ffffff" : "ff0000",
    "ffff00" : "00ff00",
    "ff7c00" : "0000ff"}
    What each pair means is that, it will search your race's look(/assets/humanoid/yourrace/malebody.png and the other files) for pixels with the first color, so it in this case, it will SEARCH FOR white, yellow and orange. Then it will replace them with the second color being red, green and blue.
    Here's a Picture example of this(It's just random scribbles btw):
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    As you can see, the white was replaced with red, the yellow was replaced with green, and the orange was replaced with blue.

Spacerogue likes this.
  11. CoffeeGiraffe

Thank you a ton! All of a sudden creating the character sprites became so much more easier and I see how the colors are handled in the code now. I would like to ask one thing more about the sprites though. How much "space" each sprite has in the picture file? For example how much more can I add to a single frame before it overlaps with the frames around it? Let's say I add details to the first frame of the running animation, how wide or high can I make the picture before it messes up with the rest of the pictures in the file?

12. tifel100

Take the width of the frame.png divide it by how many frames there are in the picture, that should tell me how big each frame can be.
    You should be able to do this with height too.

13. Spacerogue

holydamn, thats awesome. Maybe I can use this hmmm

14. DrHax

DrHax Big Damn Hero

I'd be curious to see do this. Start a "conversation with me" I want to create my own race

15. darkvamps

darkvamps Orbital Explorer

Please if you're going to, put the download in chat or a link to a different website with the download, i've been getting nowhere by myself and it would really be nice if someone had a 'kit' for download.

16. Dawnkeeper

Dawnkeeper Subatomic Cosmonaut

Check your starboung.log for a crash from the server. It should tell you whats wrong. most likely you are missing some assets.

the minimum I think is:
    Code:
    cinematics>speciesname          : for the intro or saying that they have none
    cinematics>respawn>speciesname     : respawn animation
    humnanoid>speciesname & subfolders
    quest>quest.config          :with a merge to "initialquests"
    ship>speciesname
    species>speciesname.species      :for the definition
    treasure>speciesname. treasure     :for defining the "speciesnameStarterTreasure" see dropship config
    player.config             : with a merge to add you species
    universe_server.config         : with a merge to "speciesship" to add your dropship

The last one caused the error you are getting for me.

17. void%0

void%0 Void-Bound Voyager

Is there a chance i could get a prepared file?

18. Dawnkeeper

Dawnkeeper Subatomic Cosmonaut

Download an existing MOD and look at the files. I dissected the Felins. It was quiet informative.

Last edited: Jan 2, 2014
  19. void%0

k thx

20. void%0

Trying to get my head around how to graphics work...