Modding Help Creating a Projectile

Discussion in 'Starbound Modding' started by Dukke, Aug 17, 2016.

1. Dukke

Dukke Void-Bound Voyager

So, I created an rocket launcher, and it's working, but now I need a custom projectile. Well, I've done the sprites, the script but, somehow, It doesn't works and the launcher shoots nothing. I don't know if I have to sign it in hte player.config.path likeI did with the gun. If it is, how can I do it? Also, how can I make the custom .frames works too?

2. Dukke

Dukke Void-Bound Voyager

Bump because I'm really needing it and can't find help

3. Wheee321

Wheee321 Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hello,
    you need a projectile.frames, projectile.png (the sprites) and .projectile file to make it work,
    it would help to show your logfile, my projectile didnt work once, because of typing error and this shows easily up in a logfile

the .frames file has to have the same name as the .projectile file
    just copy an existing one, rename it and change it to your needs

the important values are:
    "size" : [length of one frame, height of one frame] defines the size of one frame
    "dimensions" : [count in a row, quantity of rows]

I hope that helps

4. Dukke

Dukke Void-Bound Voyager

Here's the .projectile

Code:
    {
      "projectileName" : "dnrocket",
      "image" : "dnrocket.png",
      "animationCycle" : 0.2,
      "frameNumber" : 4,
      "damageKindImage" : "icon.png",
      "lightColor" : [255, 255, 128],
      "pointLight" : true,
      "actionOnReap" : [
        {
          "action" : "config",
          "file" : "/projectiles/explosions/regularexplosion2/regularexplosionknockback.config"
        }
      ],
      "statusEffects" : [ ],
      "emitters" : [ "rocketsmoke" ],
      "flippable" : true,
      "power" : 10.0,
      "speed" : 1.0,
      "acceleration" : 150,
      "physics" : "dnrocket",
      "damageType" : "NoDamage",
      "damageKind" : "default"
    }

And the .frame

Code:
    {
      "frameGrid" : {
        "size" : [20, 7],
        "dimensions" : [4, 1],

"names" : [
          [ "0", "1", "2", "3" ]
        ]
      }
    }

Ps: Code edited duo mistake

They adress: dkrpg\projectiles\guns\rocket

Last edited: Aug 19, 2016
  5. Wheee321

Your .projectile seems more like a .activeitem file

look at other .projectile files, they look more like this:
    acidexplosion.projectile for instance(\_unpacked\projectiles\acidexplosion):
    Code:
    {
      "projectileName" : "acidexplosion",
      "image" : "acidexplosion.png",
      "animationCycle" : 0.3,
      "frameNumber" : 5,
      "speed" : 0,
      "damagePoly" : [ [-16, 0], [-10, -10], [0, -16], [10, -10], [16, 0], [10, 10], [0, 16], [-10, 10] ],
      "animationLoops" : false,
      "piercing" : true,
      "flippable" : true,
      "damageKind" : "acid"
    }

so you have to add a dnrocket.projectile file similiar to the acidexplosion content

6. Dukke

Dukke Void-Bound Voyager

Oh crap! Sorry! Wrnog file! This is the right one

7. Wheee321

Hmm, could you please start a game, and use your weapon, after this post your logfile (\starbound\storage\starbound.log) here please, that would help alot

8. Dukke

Dukke Void-Bound Voyager

Here is:

Code:
    [12:03:40.754] [Info] UniverseClient: Joined server as client 1
    [12:03:57.502] [Info] UniverseServer: Warping player 1 to ClientShipWorld:771d6b908ba36fb38b438d48ce9e1326=1067.2.1024.31
    [12:05:07.593] [Error] Could not load image asset '/items/active/weapons/ranged/gun/default', using placeholder default.
    (AssetException) No such asset '/items/active/weapons/ranged/gun/default'
    [12:05:23.633] [Warn] Could not spawn Projectile of type 'dnrocket', exception caught: (ProjectileDatabaseException) Unknown projectile with typeName dnrocket.
    [12:05:23.788] [Error] Could not load image asset '/items/active/weapons/ranged/gun/default:2.2', using placeholder default.
    (AssetException) No associated frames file found for image '/items/active/weapons/ranged/gun/default' while resolving image frame '/items/active/weapons/ranged/gun/default:2.2'
    [12:05:28.092] [Warn] Could not spawn Projectile of type 'dnrocket', exception caught: (ProjectileDatabaseException) Unknown projectile with typeName dnrocket.
    [12:05:29.347] [Warn] Could not spawn Projectile of type 'dnrocket', exception caught: (ProjectileDatabaseException) Unknown projectile with typeName dnrocket.
    [12:05:29.384] [Error] Could not load image asset '/items/active/weapons/ranged/gun/default:3.2', using placeholder default.
    (AssetException) No associated frames file found for image '/items/active/weapons/ranged/gun/default' while resolving image frame '/items/active/weapons/ranged/gun/default:3.2'
    [12:05:32.164] [Warn] Could not spawn Projectile of type 'dnrocket', exception caught: (ProjectileDatabaseException) Unknown projectile with typeName dnrocket.
    [12:05:32.195] [Error] Could not load image asset '/items/active/weapons/ranged/gun/default:1.2', using placeholder default.
    (AssetException) No associated frames file found for image '/items/active/weapons/ranged/gun/default' while resolving image frame '/items/active/weapons/ranged/gun/default:1.2'
    [12:05:35.080] [Warn] Could not spawn Projectile of type 'dnrocket', exception caught: (ProjectileDatabaseException) Unknown projectile with typeName dnrocket.
    [12:05:40.216] [Warn] Could not spawn Projectile of type 'dnrocket', exception caught: (ProjectileDatabaseException) Unknown projectile with typeName dnrocket.
    [12:05:43.860] [Warn] Could not spawn Projectile of type 'dnrocket', exception caught: (ProjectileDatabaseException) Unknown projectile with typeName dnrocket.

9. Dukke

Dukke Void-Bound Voyager

Lol I made it worked now. Thanks anyway

10. Wheee321

11. Lemon drops

Lemon drops Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I have a similar problem and it says it had an error loading because it cannot parse json file. do you know what might be wrong?

12. matthew57778

matthew57778 Phantasmal Quasar

how did you solve the unknown projectile with typename error?