1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Crashing when changing resolution

Discussion in 'Support' started by hulo, Mar 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. hulo

hulo Space Hobo

Hello, I am playing on laptop with resolution 1920x1080 and when I launch game and load save it switch on 1366x768 and when I try to change it game crashes and closes. It really doesn't look good playing at that resolution on such screen. Anyone with similiar problem?

• icezolation

icezolation Seal Broken

Hey there, hulo!

My game doesn't crash when changing resolutions, but surely does when switching from fullscreen to window mode.

Anyway, you could try changing to your desired resolution by taking a look into your savegame file.

Windows
      Start -> Run... -> %APPDATA% -> OK / Hit enter

Navigate to folder: StardewValley -> Saves -> CharacterName_numbers

Before you start editing anything, make a copy of your files!!

There should be two files. Ignore the SaveGameInfo, open up the CharacterName_Numbers file with a text edit tool (I prefer Notepad++, but the regular Editor in windows will do).

Don't be intimidated by the amount of content in that file. Simply hit Ctrl + F. A search dialog should appear.

Search for: preferredResolutionX

It should find a match which looks something like this:
      <preferredResolutionX>1920</preferredResolutionX><preferredResolutionY>1080</preferredResolutionY>

I'm betting in your case there should be a 1366 between the preferredResolutionX tags and 768 between the preferredResolutionY tags. I'm sure you already know what to do now, eh? ;)

Try replacing those numbers with your desired resolution, save and close the file. Open up the game and try loading your save game.

If this doesn't fix your problem, you could try to change the displaymode.
      Move out of the Saves folder, there should be a file named startup_preferences. Open it with your editor. Look for <startWindowed>. This one expects a value, either false or true. Try switching the value to the opposite, save and try loading your game.

Hope it works! :)

Last edited: Mar 24, 2016
        Yupina0403 likes this.