1. This forum is archived for reference. For support & bug reports visit the help section of forums.stardewvalley.net

Bug/Issue Crashes when sleeping or at specific time?

Discussion in 'Support' started by Random13245, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Random13245

Random13245 Intergalactic Tourist

I also shared this on the Stardew Valley steam community here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/413150/discussions/1/385429254940001211/

Whenever I try to sleep in the game- whether modded or not- it doesn't "crash" per se but rather it stops responding. But that isn't the end of the problem- if I try and go through the day, it stops responding at 12:50 pm right before turning to 1:00 pm.

I've tried a million times to uninstall and reinstall, I even went into my save file and forced my game ahead a day, and it still crashes.

Here is my save file:https://drive.google.com/folderview?id=0B3YArQz5UNJJOFdROFBhWVVrWFk&usp=sharing

And the log when it crashes at 12:50:

Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    InnerException:
    Stack Trace: at StardewValley.Game1.getLocationFromName(String name, Boolean isStructure)
    at StardewValley.NPC.returnHomeFromFarmPosition(Farm farm)
    at StardewValley.Farm.performTenMinuteUpdate(Int32 timeOfDay)
    at StardewValley.Game1.performTenMinuteClockUpdate()
    at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateGameClock(GameTime time)
    at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
    at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)

Also when it crashes on sleep:
    Message: Object reference not set to an instance of an object.
    InnerException:
    Stack Trace: at StardewValley.Game1.getLocationFromName(String name, Boolean isStructure)
    at StardewValley.NPC.canGetPregnant()
    at StardewValley.Utility.pickFarmEvent()
    at StardewValley.Game1.newDayAfterFade()
    at StardewValley.Game1.UpdateOther(GameTime time)
    at StardewValley.Game1.Update(GameTime gameTime)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.Tick()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.HostIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.GameHost.OnIdle()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.RunOneFrame()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.ApplicationIdle(Object sender, EventArgs e)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponent.FDoIdle(Int32 grfidlef)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ComponentManager.System.Windows.Forms.UnsafeNativeMethods.IMsoComponentManager.FPushMessageLoop(IntPtr dwComponentID, Int32 reason, Int32 pvLoopData)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoopInner(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.ThreadContext.RunMessageLoop(Int32 reason, ApplicationContext context)
    at System.Windows.Forms.Application.Run(Form mainForm)
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.WindowsGameHost.Run()
    at Microsoft.Xna.Framework.Game.RunGame(Boolean useBlockingRun)
    at StardewValley.Program.Main(String[] args)

Last edited: Mar 28, 2016
    • CapriciousUke

CapriciousUke Space Hobo

How did you skip a day?

• uberlobster

uberlobster Void-Bound Voyager

What changes did you make to the game?. What mods were you using and were you editing the save file directly or indirectly before this occurred?

Anyways, thank RushedToward for figuring a solution to this problem.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
        • RushToward

RushToward Big Damn Hero

Actually, while changing the unique ID does solve the crashing problem for Random13245's save, it only does so temporarily. About a week later, the "crash when sleeping" problem resurfaces.
          Swapping out to yet another new unique ID fixes it again. But I just don't consider this a real solution. So I'm still working on it.

One thing that caught my eye immediately was that the value for <daysPlayed> was wrong.
          Now, they said they manually changed the date in their save file as a troubleshooting step, and I can see that in one instance. Winter 10, year 2 should be day 206, and one of the instances said 205 days played. So that makes sense, if they were originally on Winter 9 but skipped ahead. However, the other instance said 188 days. I don't know how that happened. I'm wondering what else has been tinkered with in the past that could result in this problem now.

Right now I'm leaning towards it having something to do with the introduction of a new NPC on the farm, such as the birth of livestock or the player character's child.

Edit: Changed "spring" to "winter".

Last edited: Apr 1, 2016
          • Random13245

That's because when I last left that save it was on Winter 10th of year 2?

• RushToward

RushToward Big Damn Hero

Yes, sorry, I meant Winter but typed "Spring" instead.

• Random13245

• Random13245

I was/am using the CJB in-game menu. I didn't do anything to my save file before it started crashing. It wasn't until after it became a problem that I edited it.

• uberlobster

You should consult the CJB creator as something may not have been altered correctly.

• CapriciousUke

CapriciousUke Space Hobo

• Random13245

I don't think it's an issue with the mods- It crashed whether it was modded or not.

• uberlobster

Oh, I thought you meant you used the CJB before the event. Anyways, did the attached file I uploaded before work for you? RushedToward stated it may only be a temporary solution but hopefully it works. The error messages I received during testing always included the following:
                      Code:
                      This makes me think it has to do with perhaps an improper string (text format/encoding) or location data.