1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Crash on startup due to ASUS Xonar drivers?

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by gibbed, Dec 5, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. gibbed

gibbed Orbital Explorer

So, I get a crash on startup.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Attaching to the process and looking at 0x4EB9B481 shows the address is code in HsSrv.dll, which typically throws an exception on process starts, but this is normally never an issue for any process, as the exception is caught and ignored.

However, somehow Starbound is catching this exception itself and causing itself to crash out unnecessarily.

HsSrv.dll is part of the ASUS Xonar drivers (as well as the third-party modified UNi Xonar Drivers). I have an ASUS Xonar DG sound card.

As a temporary workaround, you can uninstall the ASUS Xonar drivers and reinstall the UNi Xonar Drivers, however, the default choice in the installer ("Asus Audio Center") will install the version of the drivers that makes use of HsSrv.dll. You must choose a different option (I myself chose "C-Media Panel").

RvLesh likes this.
  2. Anderan

Anderan Orbital Explorer

Well damn, that's the same error as I've been getting and it just so happens I use UNi Xonar Drivers. I'll get it a shot when I get home. Thanks!

3. ALERT

ALERT Yeah, You!

how did you manage to attach to a process and look for conflicting dll?

4. gibbed

gibbed Orbital Explorer

With a debugger.

5. PackOfHighly

PackOfHighly Seal Broken

uninstalling the official xonar drivers and using UNi with C-Media Panel fixed the problem for me.

6. Dragazarth

Dragazarth Space Hobo

I can confirm this, killing processes that were using HsSrv.dll, (searching using Process Explorer) stopped the errors for me. I am also using the Uni with C-Media Panel Win 8.1 x64 Xonar Essence STX.

gibbed if you don't mind me asking, what debugger did you use?

7. gibbed

gibbed Orbital Explorer

8. XcaninoX

XcaninoX Space Hobo

i can confirm this too. Thank you Gibbed for pointing and sharing this out.

I was having the same issue then i decided to try it out to see if this was true... and it actually is

using ProcessExplorer i was able to find and kill all them process that were using HsSrv.dll

then i started starbound through its launcher, steam opened automatically after that, and then i clicked the launch game button, and the game launched perfectly fine without any crashes or hands whatsoever.

So yeah this is confirmed, and needs fix ASAP, cuz im not gonna uninstall the drivers of my precious XONAR just because of this game no matter how good it is..

[​IMG]

9. gibbed

gibbed Orbital Explorer

If you use the third-party UNi drivers (which are superior to the first-party provided drivers anyway) with C-Panel Media Center you can get rid of the problem (as indicated in the OP).

10. bartwe

bartwe Code Cowboy

I'm sorry but this really sounds like a bug in the driver.

11. gibbed

gibbed Orbital Explorer

It is a problem with the driver, although most processes normally ignore the exception thrown so it usually doesn't cause problems.

12. XcaninoX

XcaninoX Space Hobo

UNi drivers are indeed better, but with the asus panel.

Yes it is, but could you please add a parameter in Starbound.exe to ignore any exception triggered by the HsSrv.dll ?

13. vandigeth

vandigeth Poptop Tamer

Also confirming with OP concerning crash and fix.

Bartwe- XcaninoX is absolutely correct you need to add a parameter to ignore this exception. I just bought it tonight and was met with an application error that threw an exception and crashed the game before it ever launched. The people are absolutely correct in this thread.

Last edited: Dec 12, 2013
  14. ksva

ksva Space Hobo

WIndows 8.1 x64

I have a Xonar DG and I am also having the exact same problems. With the Xonar drivers still installed, I found that ending/killing the following processes will allow Starbound to launch:

C:\Windows\System\HsMgr64.exe
    C:\Windows\SysWOW64\HsMgr.exe

15. RvLesh

RvLesh Parsec Taste Tester

Burying exceptions is NEVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER EVER the solution. It is a workaround, a shim, a hack. It may be NECESSARY in some cases, but you're better off encouraging everyone to write and call ASUS until they fix their drivers.

16. RvLesh

Oh, as a workaround, apparently you can turn off the "GX" mode and/or get rid of HsSrv.DLL. It is used for some optional EAX emulation, I guess?

I see dozens of games that don't work properly when it is enabled and/or present.

17. AxelAz

AxelAz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Look I dont want these errors on my game, I have an Asus Xonar U3 sound card and UNi drivers are not supported for that sound card, I would like a solution how to fix it..

18. RvLesh

Solution: Tell ASUS to fix their damn drivers.

Alternate Solution: Disable "GX Mode", get rid of HsSrv.dll.

19. AxelAz

AxelAz Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Edit: Well I now disabled GX mode and should I now delete the HsSrv.dll file?

Last edited: Dec 26, 2013
  20. RvLesh

GX Mode is the ASUS implementation of EAX. https://www.google.com/#q=ASUS+HSSrv.dll Somewhere in there should be instructions on how to disable it, I don't own a Xonar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.