1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Crash on start WinXP

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Nachoman, Jan 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nachoman

Nachoman Starship Captain

Fresh install, no mods
    crash to destop during Chucklefish logo/penguin loading screen
    also ACCESS VIOLATION error

Attached Files:

2. Christovski

Christovski Ketchup Robot

I had the exact same crash, then I restarted Steam and validated/verified the game files and then got a crash in basically the same spot with different info in the log.

3. Shoehead

Shoehead Turbonerd of Scaremonies

I was getting it too. I managed to fix it by deleting my packed.pak file and verifying my cache to get it to re-download

4. Hausmeierkarl

Hausmeierkarl Void-Bound Voyager

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jan 29, 2015
  5. omegadrace

omegadrace Cosmic Narwhal

Getting an access violation error as well.

[00:43:44.757] Error: Access violation detected at 0x800 (Read of address 0x800)
    [00:43:45.949] Error: Stack Trace...
    SignalHandlerImpl::sehTrampoline()

6. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

This is already the 9th time I re-DL my assets without it working, and curiously enough, every time, it had a different size; ranging from 527MBs to 901MBs.

DimmaDunk likes this.
  7. mousekrod

mousekrod Void-Bound Voyager

Can I bump this? I'm getting the exact same errors, with no help from deleting packed.pak and re-verifying.

8. Christovski

Tried the Packed.pak fix as well (deleting and re-verifying) and did not work. Same errors. Same OS.

9. Blake81

Blake81 Cosmic Narwhal

re-DL'd assets, and same shit keeps going.....

Code:
    Start logging at: 2015-01-29 19:50:45.781
    [19:50:45.784] Info: Star::Root using bootstrap file 'E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Starbound\win32\sbboot.config'
    [19:50:45.784] Info: Star::Root using storage directory 'E:\SteamLibrary\steamapps\common\Starbound\giraffe_storage\'
    [19:50:45.784] Info: Preparing Star::Root...
    [19:50:45.784] Info: No modding directory found.
    [19:50:45.784] Info: Loading Configuration with config file: 'starbound.config'
    [19:50:45.789] Info: Creating default Star::Configuration
    [19:50:45.789] Info: Writing Star::Configuration to '.\../giraffe_storage\starbound.config'
    [19:50:45.896] Info: Pre-loading Star::Root with 2 assets sources
    [19:50:45.928] Info: Loading Star::Assets from: '../assets/packed.pak'
    [19:50:45.954] Info: Loading Star::Assets from: '../assets/user'
    [19:50:46.351] Info: Done preparing Star::Root.
    [19:50:46.387] Info: Client version 'Beta v. Upbeat Giraffe - Update 2' Protocol: 664
    [19:50:46.404] Info: Initialized SDL
    [19:50:46.412] Info: Initialized SDL Video
    [19:50:46.420] Info: Initialized SDL Joystick
    [19:50:46.422] Info: Initialized SDL Sound
    [19:50:46.507] Info: Opened default audio device with 44khz / 16 bit stereo audio, 2048 sample size buffer
    [19:50:46.528] Info: Finishing loading Star::Root...
    [19:50:46.683] Info: Initializing SDL Window
    [19:50:49.920] Info: OpenGL version: '3.3.0' vendor: 'NVIDIA Corporation' renderer: 'GeForce 9400 GT/PCIe/SSE2' shader: '3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler'
    [19:50:49.920] Info: Created initial window 1000x600
    [19:50:50.163] Info: Renderer initialized
    [19:50:50.504] Info: Renderer destroyed
    [19:50:50.504] Info: Initializing SDL Window
    [19:50:50.515] Info: OpenGL version: '3.3.0' vendor: 'NVIDIA Corporation' renderer: 'GeForce 9400 GT/PCIe/SSE2' shader: '3.30 NVIDIA via Cg compiler'
    [19:50:50.515] Info: Re-created window 1280x968
    [19:50:50.515] Info: Renderer initialized
    [19:50:50.880] Info: Writing Star::Configuration to '.\../giraffe_storage\starbound.config'
    [19:50:52.676] Error: Access violation detected at 0x968d99 (Write of address 0x808)
    [19:50:53.230] Error: Stack Trace...
      SignalHandlerImpl::sehTrampoline()
      Buffer::read(char*, unsigned int)
      IODevice::readFull(char*, unsigned int)
      BTreeDatabase<ByteArray, ByteArray>::LeafReader::read(char*, unsigned int)
      IODevice::readFull(char*, unsigned int)
      DataStream::operator>>(ByteArray)
      SimpleDatabase::readData(DataStream)
      BTreeDatabase<ByteArray, ByteArray>::BTreeImpl::loadLeaf(unsigned int)
      BTreeMixin<BTreeDatabase<ByteArray, ByteArray>::BTreeImpl>::find(shared_ptr<SimpleBTreeIndex<ByteArray, unsigned int> >, ByteArray)
      BTreeMixin<BTreeDatabase<ByteArray, ByteArray>::BTreeImpl>::find(shared_ptr<SimpleBTreeIndex<ByteArray, unsigned int> >, ByteArray)
      SimpleSha256Database::find(String)
      AssetsDatabaseBackend::read(String)
      Assets::read(String)
      Assets::readVariant(String)
      _Function_handler<shared_ptr<Assets::AssetData> (), Assets::loadVariant(String)::{lambda()#1}>::(_Any_data)
      Assets::processAssetData(function<shared_ptr<Assets::AssetData> ()>)
      Assets::loadVariant(String)
      Assets::loadAsset(Assets::AssetId)
      Assets::doLoad(Assets::AssetId)
      Assets::workerMain()
      ThreadImpl::runThread(void*)
      GetModuleFileNameA

10. metadept

metadept Mostly Harmless Codesman

We're aware that Windows XP isn't supported at the moment, and are working on a fix. We hope to resolve this in the next few days. Sorry!

11. Airling

Airling Void-Bound Voyager

Interesting story though, check the 700 threads about this issue. 7 & 8 users are experiencing it too. It isn't the OS.

12. Hausmeierkarl

The OS is openly and officially supported by the Starbound Developers. Simple as that. XP isn't even 1 year out of it's support cycle and you're trying to make the devil out of it and ridicule those who stil use it. And "those" aren't just a few people or minority. Not sure where that offensive mindset comes from.
    By the way, I use Windows 7, too, but I do like my perfectly working XP machine as well. We're certainly not in the wrong place here to discuss issues with the game.

At least we have confirmation now. Thanks

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
    Selucidia and DimmaDunk like this.
  13. Tellheim

Tellheim Poptop Tamer

Fun Fact!: In the steam shop it says:
    I spend money on the game a year ago knowing my XP-system fits the game requirements - and it worked fine. Now winter update is here and in the shop it still says XP should be able to run the game. And it did run until 2 weeks before the update went stable.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015
  14. Mecheon

Mecheon Scruffy Nerf-Herder

No, your post is blatantly that of a troll as it had nothing to do with the discussion at hand outside of you telling people to change operating systems despite the dev's post above it saying they were looking into it.

Also, it was working on XP yesterday when the patch first hit, and it isn't working today following the second one. That's called a bug.

15. Christovski

Just a tip: If a lot of people think you are being rude, you probably are. If you think something may make you sound like an ass, maybe don't say it? Might be a good philosophy.

Some of us have old computers and don't want to reinstall almost a terabyte of games that work perfectly on the old OS.

16. AVSManfred

AVSManfred Subatomic Cosmonaut

Hope this fix will be ready as soon as posible, i need to re-create my characters before i forgot how did they looked;)

17. TobiasAmaranth

TobiasAmaranth Void-Bound Voyager

Heh, yeah, the elitist attitude around here against Windows XP is very obnoxious. I had to call a few people out on it when first trying to ascertain that they were aware of it. Got berated both on the forum by someone seemingly 'in charge' for some bug thread, and on the IRC chat by several people. It's definitely rude, and definitely uncalled for.

I mean ffs, I just want to get the support I'm supposed to have, not be attacked because I'm poor and picky. :/ It's my choice, and I understand bugs happen, but when I'm taking the time to report them don't go 'you're an idiot' at me please. |3

Blake81, BlightFight, R_C_A^ and 3 others like this.
  18. Selucidia

Selucidia Lucky Number 13

yes the attitudes around here could use some improvement i agree

19. AVSManfred

AVSManfred Subatomic Cosmonaut

Another fix, nd still nothing, i think iwould rather to wiat a month or two and recive palyable update, rather than reciving an early update that makes game unable to play :p

20. Hausmeierkarl

Can some more XP users try this and report if it works? I tried it and it does for me. (Win XP SP3) So far, permanently. With several restarts of the game and System.

I've also made a bit more detailed post for those who have trouble setting it up. http://community.playstarbound.com/...lation-after-update.89542/page-5#post-2416294

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.