1. Welcome to the Starbound support forums. Please check the support FAQs before posting: http://playstarbound.com/support

Closed Crash before the game loads

Discussion in 'Starbound Support' started by Alt777, Mar 3, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alt777

Alt777 Void-Bound Voyager

Well I can't say I didn't expect this kind of thing from an early access game, but it's nonetheless annoying when you can't even start a game that you paid for. Anyhow I'm not here to go on a huge rant or anything, so this is my issue;

As soon as I try to launch the game it crashes and spits out a runtime error: http://pastebin.com/B1u3ZkSm

I've seen others post things on the chucklefish forum with the same issue, and for some fixes like increasing CPU priority work, or using only one core. I, however, have no such luck. No matter what I do I still get this error. Honestly I feel like I'm screwed 'till the next update, which could be months out for all I know.

System Specs:
    RAM: 2G
    GPU: Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M
    CPU: Intel Centrino Duo (2 Cores)
    And honestly thats all I know about this blasted machine.

By the by this is the most recent update of the game I'm using, "Glad Giraffe" I believe. I'm not so glad for this update myself... but at least the giraffe isn't having too bad of a time with this.

Note: My drivers are all up-to-date, I have the latest Microsoft Visual C++ installed, the latest (supported) DotNet Framework installed, and the latest (supported) Direct X version installed.

Last edited: Mar 3, 2016
  2. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

That's actually really odd.

Methinks it's time to upgrade from XP to Win10 (or at least Win7, for gods sake!) if nothing else is fixing the issue. Not sure what else to suggest, but using a 10+ year old OS is probably not helping considering it doesn't use anything close to resembling the latest DX drivers. I mean, XP released in 2001. It is now 2016. Time to upgrade :) And as luck would have it, win10 upgrade is free.

3. Alt777

Is a new PC free? No. Its not. And frankly I'm sick of hearing that kind of thing. Its like some sort of bigotry these days. If you'll give me $500 for a new PC I'd gladly upgrade. But 'till then, I have better things to spend my money on, like food and electricity. Not everyone has all the money in the world to just toss at whatever they so desire. Furthermore, when I bought the game, and to this day, the system requirements said "Windows XP or later" so either I want my money back or some real help instead of people suggesting I spend my money where I CAN'T. Besides, I might as well have spent $500 on this game to buy a whole new PC just for that, and it certainly isn't worth THAT much no matter how cool it used to be when I could play it.

In summary, give me $500. I mean, you must be able to afford that to make such a suggestion right? Otherwise, knock it off with that "You need to spend money you don't have" crap. I'm beyond sick of it. I would if I could.

4. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

"Is a new PC free?"

Depends. I could get a decent PC for free if I really wanted to thanks to where I work. But obviously I know that not everyone does the same thing I do.

"And frankly I'm sick of hearing that kind of thing. Its like some sort of bigotry these days."

Uh... sometimes its true though. You have to accept that your computer is just not up to snuff for most modern games. Especially with a quadro which is terrible for gaming. So "Get a better computer" sometimes IS the answer to your issues, whether it is what you want to hear or not.

"so either I want my money back or some real help"

You bought the game knowing the requirements at the time AND that they could/would change over time. Windows XP is fine, but the requirements do state a minimum Core 2 processor, and while the video card meets the 256MB and DirectX 9.0c requirements, it has 8 stream processors, which is basically nothing. (By comparison, a high end graphics card from 2006 had 92, and a current gen card has over 1000) Plus the quadro cards were made for Auto-CAD rendering, not game rendering.

So point is, you are too late for a refund, and your answer is... get a better computer. If you don't think getting a better computer is worth the cost, then you are SOL.

sayter likes this.
  5. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Uh...what? I never said it was free nor did I imply otherwise. I simply recommended upgrading your OS with the free upgrade offered from microsoft.

I know. I'm dirt poor as well, and can relate. I require a new-ish PC for work, so it is a non-option for me. Point being, I can barely afford groceries or daycare for my kid right now. That does not change the fact that running something like Crysis 3 on an old Packard Bell 486 is just not going to work regardless of how much money I have or want to spend.

I don't work for the company. At best I can speculate on your issue. You asked for help, and I'm making suggestions, nothing more. Zero need to be hostile about it. As for the stated requirements: Those would be minimum requirements (and you'll note it says "or later" in there on said requirements) and prior to recent updates it still worked on XP. That doesn't mean it is still the case, given that technology is HEAPS above where it was in 2001 and that's just how things go. Nor would the developers likely break their backs making sure it did work on XP given its age. You are using an old OS on an old PC...there are going to be issues running modern titles, period, no matter how simple they may seem.

Again, I suggested absolutely nothing regarding spending money. At all. I said upgrade the OS, and lucky for you the win10 upgrade is free. Once again: Your financial situation is not anyone elses problem and taking it out on us is a bit silly.

God forbid I try to help you and make the logical suggestion to upgrade the OS, since the OS is your issue based on all you have said. How dare I. You're right, totally justified in implying that I am being a dick for making the most obvious suggestion (and likely the same one everyone else will throw your way as well).

edit: what REALLY sucks... I literally unloaded my old PC parts last week. I had 8gb of DDR2 that i could have sent you, free of charge, as well as a slightly more modern videocard. You missed out by a few days. I would have gladly sent it your way to benefit a fellow gamer. Timing is, apparently, not on your side :(

edit 2: also...how the hell does SB even run on 2gb ram? My old rig had issues on 8gb

Last edited: Mar 4, 2016
  6. lazarus78

To be fair, the upgrade is only offered to Windows 7, 8, and 8.1.

7. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

Really? Heh. That sucks. Guess even microsoft cant support XP anymore. Which only makes my initial suggestion more relevant.

8. lazarus78

Well I believe its just not possible in general. There were a lot of core changes between XP and Vista (Which 7 - 8.1 are based on) so swapping out for windows 10 is just not in the cards at all. They probably COULD have if they absolutly wanted to, but it would be a big mess.

9. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

especially given their track record, I'd say.

So far, quite happy with this new OS though. I was hesitant to leave win7.

10. Alt777

Okay, if you guys don't have anything helpful to say then get your own thread for this discussion. And no, I did not buy this game knowing that the system requirements would change. Though instead of a refund, it would be a hell of a lot easier to just fix what you broke in my opinion instead of chastising people for not being filthy rich like yourselves.

Edit: and if this game DOESN'T support XP, then change your steam site to reflect that.

11. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

If you want to be hostile about people helping you, so be it. It was on-topic and the solution almost anyone would give, beyond what other things you've already tried (and were stated in your post already and thus not suggested). As for "fixing what they broke"... not necessarily something they can do if the hardware you are using is antiquated. That is not on them to fix, nor should they be required to support technology that is more than a decade old when there are infinitely better technologies to utilize.

I straight up told you I'm poor as hell. Just because I have a computer that isn't 12 years old doesn't mean I am loaded. I saved for it for 2 years with petty cash not going towards child care and debt payments. So don't insinuate that I am rich, thanks. You asked for help, made the post, I took a look and gave the simple answer that made the most sense. I had no way to know your financial situation.

Also:

No one chastised you for not having money. No one even mentioned it at all, in fact, until you did. Your money situation is no one else's problem or responsibility. I'm not sure why you insist on claiming we meant anything by it at all and trying to vilify others for it. Especially when you were the one that asked for a bit of help in the first place.

All that said: Yes, if it is no longer supported on XP it should be updated to reflect that. Absolutely no argument there. It's not a finished product yet though, and things are bound to break/fix/rebreak during a beta. 99% of XP users might be doing fine and you're in the fringe group having issues.

12. lazarus78

We are being helpful. Your computer does not meet the requirements to run the game. Simple as that.

Your ignorance about the requirements of an early access is your own fault.

And fixing what we broke? We are not developers and nothing is broken. Nor am I rich.

13. sayter

sayter The Waste of Time

also:

Nvidia Quadro NVS 110M

Max. Amount of Memory = 64 MB

starbound requirements:
    • Graphics: 256 MB graphics memory

You do not meet the minimum requirements here. You're just at the limit with the rest. You really can't blame the developers for it not working, here.

14. RamsiC

RamsiC Pangalactic Porcupine

As much as I love watching you sperg out because someone gave you legitimate advice....

Hi, I'm Ramsis, I am literally a studied and certified IT and Computer Tech... if you're having problems with a game and when you ask for people to give you help and they say you might need a new computer... well you may just need a new rig. Yes it's not free, yes there are more important things, and just because it says the game will work on one operating system doesn't mean your specs will always play nice. You making an honest ass of yourself because people are trying to be helpful does nothing more than toxify this great community. If you're still running XP, you need a new computer sport because unless you've been personally taking care of every individual component piece by piece your rig is past it's prime. Most leaders in the field would agree the average computer has a base lifespan of about 4-5 years as the medium to long range time. At around 5 years parts start to falter if you got your computer from a trustworthy source. The fact that you're still running XP means that your computer is probably from an odd point in the earlier parts of the 2000s and as such your parts are probably getting a little old/gross looking.

Take the advice from someone who's trained in the field: BUY A NEW COMPUTER WHEN YOU CAN AND STOP WIGGING OUT WHEN PEOPLE TELL YOU THAT. Seriously, you look like a screaming child when you're willing to go on a tirade because people are being nice and supportive. If you can't afford a new computer might I suggest opening your computer, looking inside of it, and maybe slowly replace components when you have the money so instead of spending about $500 dollars on a fresh computer you can sit down and chunk out the cost at like maybe $100 at a time?

If you really must know, Starbound is pretty far from intensive, you could probably buy a laptop at the nearest Walmart or Best Buy for 300ish dollars and be able to run the game much faster than your current machine.

You came here for support; we have all done our best to give you that. If you don't like it then do your own research or get a moderator who can try and hold your hand while explaining the fact that we're all here trying to help you to the best of our abilities.

15. Alt777

Okay, so your best ability is to tell me to spend MORE money (hundreds of dollars) for a game I'm less and less enthused about by the post. Not to, oh I don't know, revise your steam page to account for the fact that this game has surpassed its own minimum requirements article. If you think this game is that original and that worth it, so be it. But, regardless of whether I think it is or not, I simply can't afford that. And far be it from me to tell you what your software is worth anyhow. Software that, at this rate, will take twenty years to be out of the beta stage.

Ya know what, you obviously can't provide any support for this issue, so I'll just deal with it myself.

By the by, I'm not sure where you got your specs, but I do have 256MB of graphics memory. My computer can even TELL me that much. Either you've got a faulty source, or my computer is lying to my face. Which, considering its a logic based system incapable of such things, I highly doubt that.

16. Alt777

Tell me if I'm wrong here, but my Nvidia Control Panel, under "System Information" says "Available Graphics Memory: 256MB" is that not synonymous with "256 MB graphics memory"? :wut:

I'm seriously asking, free of snark.

17. lazarus78

It is a public support forum. That is what in "Hel's domain" gives us the idea we can post.

If you want to ignore the facts, so be it. You are entitled to remain ignorant.

Your GPU has nothing to do with it? It is below specs required even by the minimum standards. It is old, it is intended for AutoCAD, not gaming. Seriously...

That is combined with a share of the system ram, so no it is not the same. The card itself only has 64mb. Look up on nvidias site if you don't believe it. Straight to the source.

Edit: sorry, my bad, I misread the information. It is indeed your vram. Latter point still stands however.

And that doesn't address the actual performance of the card which is piss poor due to its age.

18. lazarus78

Sorry for double post.

19. RamsiC

RamsiC Pangalactic Porcupine

Brother/Sister if the rig is from the XP days, it might be lying to you.... again as I said it breaks down over time :p

20. Alt777

Alright but that still doesn't address the runtime issue, which has nothing to do with the GPU and everything to do with windows software compatibility to my knowledge. If that's not the case, what exactly could the program be trying to shove through my GPU that the damned thing won't allow?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.