1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Feedback Copper, Silver and Gold

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Frost Spectre, Jan 13, 2016.

1. Frost Spectre

Frost Spectre Big Damn Hero

Well, I dunno when it was changed that copper, silver, gold and platinum replaced the radioactive ores, I suspect it was done to simplify things...

Making Steel out of copper and iron doesn't make sense, why not make it once more iron and coal needed to make it (I got excessive amounts of coal that has no other use than torches and flares, which are now mostly worthless with Xenon pack and cheap lights)

Making Durasteel out of titanium and silver, well, I dunno about that, but thinking that uranium is used as energy source to convert material into durasteel felt more natural for this fictional alloy (I found something that durasteel does exist in real life, but it's actually construction of metal plates with fireresistant matter in between, used mostly in constructing pressurisation ductworks against fires).

Turning Violium, Aegisalt and Rubium with Gold into Impervium, Ferozium and Cerulium doesn't fit in my opinion, I liked the old Solarium used instead.
    Another note: Gold is excellent electricity conductor and resistant to tarnish and corrosion, why not make it used in high grade and complex wires, devices requiring electronics or perhaps even "Superior Turrets"...

Shatara, STCW262 and LilyV3 like this.
  2. Squeegeeie

Squeegeeie Scruffy Nerf-Herder

They've changed this around several times since I've started playing. I'd bet this isn't the final alloy incarnation

3. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

I agree these chocies of mixes was odd and doesn't made sense. I even wonder why they made them it's not like it added anything to the game to change this. I am not sure what happened at soem specific point but it feels like someone repsonsible for some kind of "realism" went gone at the crew makign someone else do crazy decisions and design ideas.

4. Ralij

Ralij Big Damn Hero

Also agreed, there doesn't seem to be much sense in the combinations. I dont know how much effort it takes to switch something like that but I'm hoping its just a placeholder of some sort. The nightly build looks like it has an absolute ton of different things than whatever build I've been playing so there is hope at least.

5. Wall of Knowledge

Wall of Knowledge Cosmic Narwhal

Yeah I'm chalking this up to 'crafting system rework in progress'.
    That said, silver and gold need more blocks and furniture- the copper stuff is great, but there's only a pithy handful for the other secondary metals (and I don't remember if platinum gets any at all)

6. Ralij

Ralij Big Damn Hero

Agreed x1000. Probably one of the more frustrating elements in the life of a builder/colonizer is the lack of options based on ores and other blocks like cobblestone which only has 1 building block to base off of it. C'mon I've got tens of thousands of cobblestone, I wanna use it for more than just that!

7. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

People are so fixated on the "copper + iron = steel" bit but are somehow ok with the other fake ores and alloy combinations in the game.

Plus, didnt they rename everything steel to Tungsten and added in tungsten ore instead of making steel?

8. Ralij

Ralij Big Damn Hero

That's where the line between realism and fantasy seems to lie in this case. Idk, maybe its just me, but I have less of an issue with crazy combinations of made up ores than I do with ones that mimic real ones that just don't seem right. It is kinda weird now that you mention it. Guess I'm just strange like that :p

9. lazarus78

Titanium and silver?

10. KatherineOfSky

KatherineOfSky Big Damn Hero

IRL I work with different metals, so all of the weird combinations bother me... I just rely on "suspension of disbelief", and imagine that the characters in Starbound are working from a differently-named periodic table :3

Tamorr likes this.
  11. lazarus78

I find it funny/sad that some people who supposedly RP are incapable of justifying the break from reality in any way. Its like, you can justify FTL travel, teleportation, fictional metals, and the fact that EVERY planet, with the exception of barren and moons, are inhabitable, etc, but when it comes to an iron/copper alloy arbitrarily called "steel", minds get blown and everything comes to a halt.
    But that's just me.

Tamorr likes this.
  12. Shatara

Shatara Void-Bound Voyager

Because fake recipes for real things require more suspension of disbelief than fake recipes for fake things. The latter is just standard sci-fi fare, the former is just being wrong. Furthermore, the OP did complain about the use of silver and gold in the fake alloys as well.

13. lazarus78

Allow me to direct your attention to the logic gates that require laser diodes and circuit boards, yet no power source.

Accepting the premise of most of the game requires far more suspension than accepting one single recipe.

14. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

yes because steel is a defined material, you do not in a proper designd "universe" take an existing term and change it. A clever author names such a new thing with a new name. Thats the same nonsens eas in twillight, where some stupid author thought it would be cool to name something vampires not even being vampires. I cna surely make a "funny" universe by using any existign word and redefice it with soemthing else, i am quite sure people will LOVE for beign such nonsense. But in fact its stupid and shouldn't be done.

We also don't need fuel fo forgens and other stuff. They even took away the melting times form forges, which I kinda found sad.
    But this is made because SB isn't meant to be a complex crafting simulation. Thats an Design decision in "how complex" the game is supposed to be. However designing a material X to do Y with it is on an abstract level just ok. However by logic using reallife related names for them and twisting whta they are is still nonsense. That is just kinda the lazy way to implement a design idea. Someone removed coal form many crafting receipes, left coal to be available on most planets while it does in fact not have much use anymore. Some recent changes in the game make no sense within the design anymore, nor by logic.

meanwhile some totally unimportant items get a high attention to detailed crafting somewhere in the Deisgner team is a bit of an issue in consistency,

15. lazarus78

Yet the titanium one has been there all along, and no one batted an eye at it. Yes, the change to using silver is recent, but before it still didn't make logical sense either. So what changed here that made people lose their shit?

The "iron+coal" pairing has been there for a long time, but they decided they didn't like it for how they wanted to do their progression, so they just repurposed rather than remaking.

Tier 1
    Tier 1 + Copper = Tier 2
    Tier 3
    Tier 3 + Silver = Tier 4
    Tier 5
    Tier 5 + Gold = Tier 6

Makes pretty damn good sense to me. You people are getting hung up on the name.

But I guess it doesn't matter anymore, all the steel stuff was changed to tungsten. Y'all happy now? (It was changes a few months back actually.) Now tungsten is considered lower on the strength than Titanium. Lets talk about that logic, eh? Why is no one getting upset about that?

16. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Because we do not all paly the nightly yet, because we also ranted about "nonsense" in the past builds as well. So thats not a "recent" thing. Its just a "nonsense again?" thing. And if they use tungsten in a weird wa,y we will ahve a thread about this too.

And the tiers don't make much sense, because at the moment youc an acces T3 material you also can Access silver. what truly "cuts" the tiers is the missions to gett he robotic crafting table --> atmoc forge -->durasteel. at this point it wouldn't matter if the additional component would be silver, coal or even just wood. It's just a random non logically random chosen additional material thta has no real relation to the progression. And Tier 1 and Tier 5 are kinda obsolete because you simply skip them since they aren't any tiers of usage aside havign to craft the armor to upgrade it. Yet there is no event or something required to do so except gathering some more low quantities of the same ore. Not sure if this changed in the nightly build.

17. lazarus78

Correction. Durasteel is also now an ore, so it is only Tier 5 + gold to make tier 6 that remains. Armors are no longer crafted with just metal bars, but also require fabric, string, or other materials depending on tier.

And I really doubt there will be any thread about tungsten since not many people understand about material hardness. I only mention it here to show how silly it is that people are complaining over an arbitrary name. There are other faults in logic that people are overlooking except this one thing.

But again, irrelevant now, since iron+copper was done away with.

18. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

well hardness itself doesn't defines a materials value its more about this, it's alloys, other characteristics and stuff I can't explain in english. Yet the game is surely not about totaly physical corectness, which it doesn't have to be. But some basics should be kept, like what steel is. I mena look at terraria, they even made elad armors with an update being stronger than the iron ones LOL. But lead at all stays lead and isn't some redefinition fo lead.

Btw the unstable build for SB is now an "own game" in steam? so installing it does not interfere with the original game as usually other "beta" versions in steam do?

19. lazarus78

First off, I just wanted to drop this little nugget on you.

http://iti.northwestern.edu/publications/fine_vaynman/Fine_and_Vaynman-2007-NUCu_Steel.pdf

Real life steel that uses copper in actual industrial applications, thus proving it to be real and viable.

I know its not all about the material's hardness, but aside from weight, Tungsten, which is usually made into Tungsten-carbide, is superior to Titanium in every way. The only thing that can damage it is more tungsten or stronger materials.

And yes, the unstable entry will not touch your stable. For nightly, you need to opt into it from the bete selection.

20. LilyV3

LilyV3 Master Astronaut

Nice thx, I think I have to try the nightly build then.