Connectable Mechs.

Discussion in 'Vehicles and Mounts' started by Azorth, Nov 18, 2012.

1. Tea Mate

Tea Mate Existential Complex

My first thought:

FrozenFlame and Omega Shadowcry like this.
  2. Omega Shadowcry

Omega Shadowcry Cosmic Narwhal

I'm Omega Shadowcry., and I approve this thread.

3. Vesuvia

Vesuvia Void-Bound Voyager

Power Rangers! Form!

4. yoppyx

yoppyx Existential Complex

Lol exactly. I think instead of mechs it would work better to have a mech shell that people can move into using their mini mechs.

5. luckyfrostt

luckyfrostt Lucky Number 13

I prefer much like an "mecha" armor, not an vehicle at its own stand. So it's fair more mobile, and it can be used by two persons. A simple tank could explode an mecha in parts just using the cannon. Tanks are much more reliable in terms of design, because legs consume FREAKING LOT of combustible, so i prefer an exo-skeleton with 2 people using it :3

Omega Shadowcry likes this.
  6. Azorth

Azorth Big Damn Hero

Bumpity Bump Bump, Bumpity Bump Bump, Look at this forum go!

7. Omega Shadowcry

Omega Shadowcry Cosmic Narwhal

*Conjuration increased to 98*

8. Filipfonky

Filipfonky Cosmic Narwhal

This sounds awesome on paper, but if we actually think about it, it's not that good.

I'll explain:

This could cause some server issues. What if a player has good connection, but another has a banana as a router? How would the newly connected mech react to difference of bandwidth?
    Let's not forget about how overpowered this would be. Get some friends with mechs and you can rule a server if the admins aren't looking.
    It would be better if we just had a mech with a glass dome on its side. Another player could enter this glass dome and control a turret, but that's still part of the initial mech.

To sum it up, multiple mechs connected with each other is kinda hard to perform and usually ends up either super buggy or just plain overpowered.

Also, puke green text hurts.

yoppyx likes this.
  9. Azorth

Azorth Big Damn Hero

The connection wouldn't matter, only one person drives, it would be just like any other vehicle.
    and as for the "overpowered" issue, these were meant to be more exploration not combat oriented mechs.
    It is pretty much exactly what you suggested except afterwards the mechs could "unconnect" and go their separate ways.

10. Azorth

Azorth Big Damn Hero

But going back and reading my OP I guess it did start out combat oriented, but as I've gone through talking to people exploration seemed better.

11. Gredd18

Gredd18 Giant Laser Beams

PUKE PINK!!!!
    The Internet Shizz Is Like Playing Battlefield 3 Or Anything With Coop Cars/Boats/Helis
    As Long As The Host Is Good, Then It Shouldn't Effect People Much

12. Filipfonky

Filipfonky Cosmic Narwhal

I don't think multiple mechs attached to each other would walk fast enough to be used as a mean of transportation.
    Also, they would be really clunky and difficult to manuever on uneven terrain (sand dunes, hills, mountains.. etc etc)

13. Azorth

Azorth Big Damn Hero

Their supposed to be like small personal mech type things, like if you ever played Mechwarrior it would be like the madcat (I think), and I didn't say transportation, I said exploration like mining, spelunking, underwater ect., just read the rest of the thread.

14. Rowanas

Rowanas Aquatic Astronaut

Not a madcat. Madcats are proper mechs.. You're thinking of Elemental armour.

15. Azorth

Azorth Big Damn Hero

Nope, never heard of elemental armour, I'm thinking of a madcat, I looked it up earlier, I've only played old mechwarrior, and the madcat was one of the smallest fastest mechs in the game, there might have been one smaller but i don't remember what it was called

16. TTCBuilder

TTCBuilder Jackpot!

:rofl:
    A Mad Cat is not a small mech and it is an amazing.
    It's a fast heavy with missiles and lasers this was a really well designed strike mech to surpise and rip apart the enemy,
    but because of the weapons it has it's also pretty balanced.
    You are looking for mechs like... the Wasp
    Enjoy looking at battletech mechs.

17. Azorth

Azorth Big Damn Hero

Ok, guys i'm talking about the video games, Mech warrior 3 to be specific and these mechs you're talking about are not in the game I played, but it wasn't a madcat it was a shadow cat I was thinking of, it's a smaller mech (I knew cat was in the name lol)

18. EaglePryde

EaglePryde Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Or you could take a Shadow Cat if you want a 100T heavy Variant :p Anyway i'd go with those to over any Atlas,Catapult or the Free Kill Raven :rofl:

It would be nice if Mechs in Starbound would be similar to Battletech Mechs where you have a chassis and can equip it the way you want. Similar games that have such a Feature with a visual representation are Front Mission (the strategy games) and Zoids. Imho i found the Animal Designs of the Zoid Mechs rather impressing. I'd also settle with something along the Gundam Mechs that had a rather humanoid like look and didn't look or act as clunky as a battletech mech.

A mix of all those mechs in terms of design and usability would be really cool.

19. FrozenFlame

FrozenFlame Giant Laser Beams

lol exactly my thought to contribute too.

20. Azorth

Azorth Big Damn Hero

In the game the shadow cat was only 40 tons.