1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Configuration question

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Husky McFluff, May 10, 2017.

1. Husky McFluff

Husky McFluff Void-Bound Voyager

Hey all. I was gifted a copy of Starbound, and as I'm a big fan of Terraria I was told I'd enjoy the game a great deal. I got around to downloading it today and was excited to play it, but I discovered there is no true windowed mode in the game.

My options are "Full Screen" and "Borderless Window", both of which take up my entire screen. Not willing to give up there, I dove into the config file to be delighted at seeing simple JSON -- something I'm intimately familiar with as a software engineer. It didn't take long to find the fullscreen/borderless settings as well as various resolutions; however, no combination of settings I've tried has allowed me to resize the window in Borderless mode.

To be clear, I've tried (independently):
    "fullScreen" : false
    "fullScreen" : true
    "borderless" : true
    "borderless" : false
    "windowedResolution" : [ 1920, 1200 ]

I was really hopeful with that last option in particular, however, when booting the game it reset itself to my full screen resolution.

This is a problem, because at any given time I'm involved in several different things at once. Even when playing something like Terraria or Starbound, I've got multiple conversations going with friends on various topics, the game, another MMO I play purely for social purposes (role-playing, community, etc), and also often work-related conversations with co-workers on Slack who may need to get my attention urgently. As the senior-most member on the team, I'm always kind of on-call and if they message me I need to see it and respond when able.

This is one of the reasons my computer's hooked up to a 50" 4K TV -- so I have room for all of these windows to be open with minimal overlap. Starbound taking up the whole window, as much as I want to play it, is unfortunately a deal-breaker for me. =(

Is there a way to force it into a window? I don't need to play any game at 3840x2097 resolution (this is what the Starbound config file "windowedResolution" gets set to when I boot the game). 1920x1200 is more than sufficient on this TV, and I'd like to limit it to that if I can.

Thanks much for your time, and I apologize if there's already a thread about this issue somewhere. I did search for one, but didn't have much luck.

2. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Borderless is full screen but doesnt lock the mouse to the game window. So "resize the window in borderless" is kinda oxymoronic.

You can make the game windowed from the in-game options menu by deselecting the "fullscreen" option, then just resize by dragging the edges as usual. Ive been playng windowed for several years.

3. Husky McFluff

Husky McFluff Void-Bound Voyager

Thanks for the response.

Fullscreen has never been selected. I'm unable to click/drag to resize the window.

Of note, if I select "Fullscreen", it deselects the "Borderless window" option. This is what led me to believe "Borderless window" meant "windowed mode"; however, the game doesn't behave in a way that's consistent with that understanding. It appears to me that the game runs in fullscreen no matter how I configure it, and I'm not able to resize anything.

EDIT: Nevermind, I'm an idiot. I didn't realize the "windowed mode" was maximized. Silly me. =P