1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Combat Part 1: Shields

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Aviakio, Mar 9, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aviakio

Aviakio Weight of the Sky

FrEnZy210 and Ordona like this.
  2. RitsuHasano

RitsuHasano Existential Complex

I'm really surprised by that, but I love the idea. I also like that you don't end up with 'touch damage' from just brushing up against enemies, and that they have to basically attack you first. That kind of mechanic is always enjoyable to have in games.

This means that you could likely get scenarios in which you have to harmlessly try to make your way out of a place, trying to not alert any enemy. As long as you didn't do anything, they won't attack you. However, the moment YOU attack, the moment they start fighting back.

3. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

its a shame im planning on using either double guns or biggest one i can find :p

4. Harmor

Harmor Void-Bound Voyager

I would have never expected such deep combat mechanics in Starbound tbh, but this sounds absolutely exciting. Makes the wait for the game just that extra bit more excruciating though X3

5. Vizendel

Vizendel Pangalactic Porcupine

Oh this is going to be fanTAStic.

Or B-E-A-UTIFUL.

I really love roleplaying stuff in my sandbox games.

6. Bonabopn

Bonabopn Fluffiest Squirrel

This might call for a Captain America-esque shield! That would be awesome! :D

Starheaven07 likes this.
  7. JohnDevince

JohnDevince Scruffy Nerf-Herder

This looks AMAZING!
    I really hope i can become a Beta tester for I will Beta test TO THE MAX! On a Mac also!
    I indeed hope to eventually have a Captain American sword but have it be called the " Captain Boundian" Shield!
    ~ Thank You!
    John Devince

8. Phyrex

Phyrex Parsec Taste Tester

ooooh crap, yes YES.
    WW2 capt. america stylewhen he still used a pistol along his shield

9. Bask

Bask Former Staff

I'm thoroughly excited about this. :rofl:
    Dual wielding and the addition of the shield system will bring an interesting, exciting and challenging dynamic to combat.
    Thanks Tiy for the update. :love:

10. Vizendel

HAH! I am stalking you Bask.

I too am happy that we will get to dual-wield.

Forget defense, I'm going to either dual-shoot things, or dual-shoot them.

M C likes this.
  11. TehEpikMonk

TehEpikMonk Spaceman Spiff

Combat will certainly be refreshing. It will also make for some interesting fights. Imagine if there was a group of enemies that would advance using a shield wall and then attack you...

Actually, that's a really good strategy for PvP...

12. The Enderman

The Enderman Phantasmal Quasar

This is something that you don't see in 2D games much, at least not at this level. Great job Chucklefish!

PS. This is awesome.
    [​IMG]

13. Kirisame Marisa

Kirisame Marisa 2.7182818284590...

OH HELL YES. Imma be an assassin with a sword and knife but a shield will be awesome still.

14. Attack_Fish

Attack_Fish Phantasmal Quasar

What about two handed weapons? Won't rocket launchers need two hands to operate? Also, two handed swords or battle axes? I wonder how that aspect will be played out or if it will even be in the game at all.

15. jackalope

jackalope Big Damn Hero

This is sweet! Never expected combat to be this deep. Still have no idea what I'm using for weapons though....

16. Mrhighseas

Mrhighseas Star Wrangler

I really like this idea. That is one thing I don't like about Minecraft, the fact that touching a Zombie hurts you, not them biting or punching or hitting you, yet to hurt them, you have to swing.

17. Krunch

Krunch Astral Cartographer

sheilds are a great thing! now I can do stuff like oh i dont know be a space robo link killing gannon 3000. to bad Thats probaly not gonna happen but I can dream right:cry:

18. HazardJake

HazardJake Void-Bound Voyager

I'm hoping you could deflect bullets with em!
    ~Jake

19. Doctor Whooves

Doctor Whooves Starship Captain

I'm still wondering when those guys will stop fighting...

20. Vizendel

When you eat a pear.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.