1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Coloured Blocks

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Sep 25, 2013.

?

Choose which ones you'd be ok with.

1. Different coloured blocks are stored in different inventory slots.

238 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Different coloured blocks are combined into a single block for easier storage, default coloration

44 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Different coloured blocks are combined into a single block for easier storage, planet coloration

240 vote(s)
    51.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wicketman8

wicketman8 Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'd like #1, I want to be able to bring red colored dirt to planets with green dirt naturally, it could be my trade :)

2. ZephGrey

ZephGrey Pangalactic Porcupine

As much as I would be likely to collect different colors of dirt (no sarcasm, I'd really do this) spray painting pretty much removed the need to, and the sheer number of variations would be daunting (I bet you could charge huge amount for black dirt though) I have to say 3 as well. We can just repaint them later if we want.

3. carcrasher65

carcrasher65 Pangalactic Porcupine

Option 3, leads to more inventory for bacon and allows you to keep the planets color scheme.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  4. Jicuu

Jicuu Space Hobo

It is a good idea ... I hope in the future to add that

5. esotericist

esotericist Scruffy Nerf-Herder

My preference would be option 1, with the ability to convert blocks on demand to a 'generic' type that behaves like option 3.

6. Juxtor

Juxtor Phantasmal Quasar

So option 3 makes it so that gathered materials of any type will change color to match the planet on which they are being placed. I feel that this will eliminate the sense of uniqueness each planet holds.

If we find a planet with a beautiful shade of stone, we will be inclined to mine it for use in future building projects. But with option 2 or 3, that unique colored stone will cease to be so unless used on the planet we actually got it from in the first place. It changes from a unique item and automatically becomes a generic one. For sake of inventory management simplification. But why is this necessary? Laziness?

It's almost like (to use a bad analogy) we find an awesome assault rifle on a particular planet that we really love the statistics of. We hunt and defend ourselves from countless creatures across the landscape. One day we travel to another world only to find that our unique weapon is suddenly a generic assault rifle. It's traits no longer differentiate it from any other weapon of its type. Granted materials gathered are seemingly only unique as a result of their color (no other statistics? I really was hoping that some stone would be harder than others etc.) I don't want something gathered to spontaneously lose it's characteristics (even if it's just color) when I leave a world. I want to find perfect materials with which to build my structures elsewhere.

"You can just use the paint gun!" I hear everyone saying.

Not really. Bartwe said we will be able to paint materials with about 10 different colors. If there are only 10 different color possibilities for a block of some material, that might be fine. However, my impression is that the color values of materials can be very random. One shade of a blue might be subtly different than that from another planet. If we pick this up and it becomes generic material, then paint it one of 10 colors, we can now only build with 10 different colors rather than the procedurally created ones the material had when we gathered it in the first place.

Option 2 and 3 are fine if simplicity and fewer options are what we want. This doesn't feel like Starbound, though. It is complex and diverse in its individuality of world upon world. Only option 1 (and to some extent the requested option 4 that was injected by forum goers) allows our exploration to be truly rewarded by keeping everything as unique as it was when found. It isn't just Stone. it's stone from Beta Carotene Omega VI. That is a teal color that looks perfect in my Hylotl fortress. Not just Generic green number 2 that I spray painted.

Option 1.

Cirom, reversePsychologist and XRiZUX like this.
  7. heka

heka Space Spelunker

Option 1

8. Pancoar

Pancoar Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I like option 1 because the blocks keep their color, but option 3 seems more convenient. Eh. As long as the paint gun isn't limited in colors, make it so when we reach a planet, the planets color codes get uploaded to the paint gun?

But for the sake of not having a limit on customization going to have to say I prefer option 1.

I think the best option would be to merge 1 and 3. Stack all blocks of one type together but have them keep their original color,so no need to worry if you can't get the color you want from the paint tool.

9. Veran

Veran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

i prefer option 1 for the same reasons others have stated. i want to be able to make "mini-biomes" in my planet-sized base that showcases my favourite colours of dirt, rocks and plantlife. besides, if there is only one colour per planet, it wouldnt clutter that much unless you didnt empty inventory between planet-hops.

10. Rankomonaut

Rankomonaut Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Hard to say...
    I want many colours but not much effort to use it. Adapting to the worlds colour doesn't get me. If I want to place violet blocks on a "green" world, I should be able to do that. How disappointing would it be, collecting 2 or 3 stacks of a beautiful red dirt block, which you need on your black homeworld to make an evil domain... and then it turns black... every.. single... block... turns... black. Lost play time.
    What about "unlocking" colours by collecting a certain amount of that coloured blocks? I mean, until this, option 2 would take the point. A palette UI would be easy... right? ._.

11. Skarn

Skarn Existential Complex

Nah. Actually, I think that was George, but besides that,
    I'm assuming the paint tool can easily paint the colors that already exist in-game, or adding that functionality would be easy.

"Subtle differences" are likely due to contrast from the background, ambient lighting levels, time of day, or even the exact type of material being considered. In reality I would assume they're based off a much smaller number of colors (10 of them to be exact. :p)

Of course, I'm just speculating here. But I don't see why the game couldn't add more colors to the paint tool if such colors exist.

12. Kujar3

Kujar3 Existential Complex

Isn't there an option of choosing a colour of the block? I would make it this way: If you already found the colour of the block, than you can use it. I don't know if that is even possible but I think this would be the best option. Alternatively the first one, because I like to experiment with as much as possible, that's why I loved the Dungeon blocks in terraria, I usually needed more than 3 worlds for the colours I wanted but I was OK with that as long as I had what I needed.

13. Gnomechompski

Gnomechompski Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Option 3 !

14. Ragnarok

Ragnarok Void-Bound Voyager

Option 3, but include a special building tool for Option 1 that can harvest blocks and keep the colour that was harvested. Less space taken up with inventory management, but with the ability to mine and keep any particular type/colour block to fulfill a specific purpose.

15. Beonadryt

Beonadryt Big Damn Hero

I vote vor Option 1

16. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

I actually find myself agreeing with this guy, when you pick up unique blocks from a planet I think you should be able to carry those over to another planet and use them there.

But I still think that stacking is important to save inventory space. So after you have been gathering a lot of different dirts you should be able to choose which type of unique dirt you want to place from the ones you have in the inventory. The idea being that all the dirt can stack up and use only 1 inventory slot together, but you would still be able to use all those unique dirts that you had picked up earlier.

I agree that making everything generic is not the best idea, variety is always important in a sandbox game. So a mixture between option 1 and option 3 would be awesome in my opinion.

17. WackyWocky

WackyWocky Pangalactic Porcupine

Option 3.

Makes me kind of picture that native moss and vegetation takes over the dirt I place, even if it was from a different planet. Thus the color change.

Dagorran and DeadlyLuvdisc like this.
  18. Strongbuns

Strongbuns Void-Bound Voyager

Gotta say 3

19. cyberspyXD

cyberspyXD Tiy's Beard

Eh I would prefer 1 but 3 seems better as a whole.

20. Voyager

Voyager Spaceman Spiff

I have no idea which choice is best because it is hard to know before you actually play the game.

DeadlyLuvdisc and AstroBlast like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.