1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Coloured Blocks

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Sep 25, 2013.

?

Choose which ones you'd be ok with.

1. Different coloured blocks are stored in different inventory slots.

238 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Different coloured blocks are combined into a single block for easier storage, default coloration

44 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Different coloured blocks are combined into a single block for easier storage, planet coloration

240 vote(s)
    51.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sowaka

Sowaka Phantasmal Quasar

3, please. I don't want to have to go to a new planet and mine dozens of new dirt blocks just so that I can create a structure with that planet's dirt colour.

DeadlyLuvdisc and Miss Andry like this.
  2. KevinFragger2427

KevinFragger2427 Pangalactic Porcupine

I'd say option 1, because the paint tool sounds like a mid-late game asset. I wonder, does durability of the dirt change the higher planet level you go? Would be cool to rip up the whole terrain of a level 1 planet with my level 50 shotgun.

3. Areyon3339

Areyon3339 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Will we be able to re-colour the block if we want with paint or something.

4. Sower

Sower Big Damn Hero

He kind of answered that here. There would be less (a lot less?) color variations with the paint tool compared to the randomly generated blocks that you'll find.

5. Zody

Zody Weight of the Sky

If you can re-color the blocks manually I think option 3 would be the most practical, otherwise I would say 1 since it would be kinda sucky for landscaping projects like bio-domes if all dirt immutably adjusts to the default planetary hue.

EDIT: seeing as general consensus seems to be that the paint tool won't have the color-range to replicate dirt from other planets, I would definitely say 1.

6. keyless15

keyless15 Void-Bound Voyager

I know I'm in a losing faction here it seems, but I'm a fan of option 1.

Especially since there is a resource backpack in the game already. This affords us the space that can allow for us to consider carrying around many options of the same tiles.

AstroBlast likes this.
  7. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

If option4 isn't available I forgot to add:

Option #1. It may mean a planet with chests full of dirt.. but-
    I can go to that planet and pull whatever kind of color I want and have options if I want to deal with it. That or If I decide not.. I'll just trash dirt or turn it into pixel if possible.

8. How about making options 1 and 3 toggleable in-game options?
    This might be hard to code (don't know anything about coding), or inconvenient, but I'm in a consensus-or-nothing kinda mood today.

Trowzers and Diagnosan like this.
  9. Attack_Fish

Attack_Fish Phantasmal Quasar

Number 3. The color-painting tool should be able to change the color of the dirt back to its original color.

DeadlyLuvdisc and Miss Andry like this.
  10. But it can't. And it won't.

Diagnosan likes this.
  11. Hebephryo

Hebephryo Phantasmal Quasar

3-rd option.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  12. Dagorran

Dagorran Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Well then option three it is for me!

13. Sci-Fi Diplomat

Sci-Fi Diplomat Phantasmal Quasar

I'll have to agree with option 3, less clutter = more exploring

A good tradeoff

14. Diagnosan

Diagnosan Subatomic Cosmonaut

I have a proposition, however before I make that proposition I suppose I should ask: would buffing the paint tool require you to go in and recolor every block in the game by hand once per every color you add to it? Is that the kind of work we're talking here? Because if so, I'm for the first option.

If coloration simply requires an "uncolored" version of a block, which I assume is very probable considering the randomly generated colors present in this game, then I'm alright with option three. Why? Because I have a suggestion I think gets the heart of the issue. It all comes down to if it's within the realm of reasonable desires that you can buff the paint tool beyond ten colors to a color swatch and wheel with an eyedrop feature. I think my idea would likely please everyone and allow you guys to simplify bags at the same time. It would also improve customization well beyond dirt and sand.

15. 70calories

70calories Scruffy Nerf-Herder

for me it's option 1 or option 3

1. Because I love organizing having many separate colored blocks to organize would be awesome but then again I'm a nutcase there will be a slew of other things to organize so ether way I'm a happy camper.

3. Far less of a hassle with inventory management don't have to go though the trouble of finding every color block you need. Pretty much all around less of a hassle so this one would be the best option and it gets my vote.

16. greenman

greenman Spaceman Spiff

When we say blocks, are we talking about dirt? What about Wood? Is all the wood look brown when you build with it? I guess there's probably a specific color for ores..

I haven't seen a list of materials around yet, so I guess I'm confused.

17. Bandethor

Bandethor Pangalactic Porcupine

#3 sounds like the best one to me

18. XRiZUX

XRiZUX Spaceman Spiff

Yeah, I think if you collect different colors of dirt then you should be able to select that color for the dirt when placing it, until however many of that colored dirt you had picked up is remaining in the stack.
    I would go with option 3, but I think you should be able to place the colors you had picked up from before, like if you picked up 10 pink blocks then you should be able to place 10 pink blocks, and then it would either return to the planet's default color for the block or it would cycle to the other color block you picked up from before. The idea being that you could place those colored blocks if you picked up different colors, but they would still stack to block type, dirt, sand, etc.

Edit to be more clear:
    [Stack] Sand(Pink x10), Sand(Default x16), Sand(Red x6)
    [Stack] Dirt(Pink x2), Dirt(Default x96), Dirt(Red x94)

SuperMandrew likes this.
  19. Strongwords

Strongwords Starship Captain

I'll go with 3

i rly hate having my inventory full of useless stuff

20. RizzRustbolt

RizzRustbolt Existential Complex

Number 1. More options is always better.

Plus more colors equals better planet scale pixel art.

Trowzers likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.