1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Coloured Blocks

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Sep 25, 2013.

?

Choose which ones you'd be ok with.

1. Different coloured blocks are stored in different inventory slots.

238 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Different coloured blocks are combined into a single block for easier storage, default coloration

44 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Different coloured blocks are combined into a single block for easier storage, planet coloration

240 vote(s)
    51.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Basically yes.
    That's why I came up with the idea of blocks being treated as a group of blocks. Let's say you have a group of 100 wood blocks, and like 5 different colours of wood in different quantities. You choose the wood block group of 100 and upon selecting that group/placing a block a window would pop-up with the ability to select a block with the colour of your choice from between these 5 colours with different quantities let's say like 50 Red, 10 Blue, 10 Green, 10 Orange, 10 Yellow, 10 White, then you would be able to re-open that window again with some shortcut key.

Grulul and sankto like this.
  2. SquarelyCircle

SquarelyCircle Cosmic Narwhal

#3. When you aren't building, you'll not want to think about them. To me, that seems like the most important part of this choice.
    When you are building you can paint them. Whether the blocks are their default color or the new dirt color is not terribly important since you may want it either way depending on the building project.

Edit: someone said this isn't simply for dirt. I'd have to take it back if all wood would default to the default wood. Wouldn't you?

Edit #2: My reasoning is that you do want some part of your exploration to be remembered in the materials you build with.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  3. reversePsychologist

reversePsychologist Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Then a whole planet it is! We got lots of those right?

Besides, I don't know, the other options all make me feel uncomfortable, it's insignificant but it slightly hinders one's freedom to, say, put regular looking dirt on a green-dirt planet or vice-versa. I know there's other ways such as the painting tool, but it really sounds odd that one has to artificially replicate such a basic thing...?

Grulul and AstroBlast like this.
  4. Alluvian_Est-Endrati

Alluvian_Est-Endrati Existential Complex

Option #3 is my preference. If I want a block to be a different color than the default I will paint it.

DeadlyLuvdisc and Miss Andry like this.
  5. I completely agree.

Plus, it's not like single planets are gonna have hundreds of colours. Inventory fullness will only be a problem if you're constantly traversing between many planets.
    And even then, all you have to do is remember to store dirt on your ship.

6. Mizaria

Mizaria Star Wrangler

Option 1 simply from a customization standpoint alone. For example say I want to replicate a crystal planet in a biodome on a temperate planet, it would be nice to keep purple soil for it rather than the dirt magically switching to brown for no reason.

Trowzers likes this.
  7. Symphony

Symphony Giant Laser Beams

I'll vote number 3 like all the cool kids so I fit in. I want to say number 1, because it would be fun, and honestly guys inventory management isn't a big deal for dirt. Do we actually need to walk around with all that dirt? Why keep it unless you're terraforming or building ... something with dirt?

A cool option that could be implemented after release and when you have some time would be to just the inventory branch into arrays for itself.

So for examples, building blocks can stack up to 255. Throughout my adventure, I go to planet A, and B. A has brown dirt, and B has blue dirt.

I pick up lets say, 70 dirt from planet A, and now in my inventory, I have "Dirts - 70". I go to planet B and pick up another 70 dirt. Now when I check my inventory, I see "Dirts - 140". However when clicking it, a new little menu pops up, or something simple, just some boxes that can be generated according to the number of dirt varieties in this stack. It'll now expand to say "70 brown dirt, 70 blue dirt" and I can choose from one of the 2. This allows for all dirts to be specific, allows for mostly everything to be infinite, and keeps the inventory manageable. And it shouldn't be TOO difficult :)

Anywho just my speculation

8. stefrele

stefrele 2.7182818284590...

Voted 3 too.

9. Spike

Spike Supernova

I agree. I doubt we need painted dirt though, since we have other paintable blocks, such as wood, that are more useful imo.

10. Video Games

Video Games Scruffy Nerf-Herder

One seems the most complicated, but is definitely the most sensible option.

You should probably turn this into a poll if you want to effectively utilize our basic feedback, so you don't have to go through every single post to make a final decision. Unless you want to spend your time like that, I dunno.

11. Jonesy

Jonesy Sarif's Attack Kangaroo Forum Moderator

Honestly, option no. 3 would probably be the most convenient. If we really want to colour it, we'll use the paint tool.

12. Graham

Graham Subatomic Cosmonaut

Option 3, but what would happen about placing blocks on your ship?

DeadlyLuvdisc and Miss Andry like this.
  13. Cursebreaker

Cursebreaker Tentacle Wrangler

If you need our opinion Tiy, then you should probably do this then. :coffee:

14. Spike

Spike Supernova

I bet it will just look brownish, which I presume to be the default color of dirt, at least in this quadrant of the universe.

15. Sower

Sower Big Damn Hero

I'm going with option #1 for sure. I see option #2 and #3 as creativity killers for those who want dirt with a specific color variation only found in the wild. Either way, I'm sure there's a compromise to be had here... you could always go with #3 and then revisit this issue post-beta release.

edit: Oh, I thought this only applied to dirt. If it's all environmental blocks then I definitely choose option #1. Reading most of the previous replies, I think this all comes down to being a item management/UX problem rather than an issue about choice. And in that regard I see option #2 and #3 as stopgap workarounds.

So I say go with option #1 and revisit this problem post-beta to try to fix the UI/UX issue.

16. JackAllan

JackAllan Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Another for option 3 here.

17. Eolond

Eolond Phantasmal Quasar

I'm thinking I'd prefer option 1. As someone said above, inventory management won't be an issue unless you're deliberately traveling all over, grabbing tons of different blocks.

I'd go for option 3 if the paint tool allowed you to custom mix paint colors, instead of just getting a standard (and limited) paint set.

Aviakio, AstroBlast and Sower like this.
  18. DerJonason

DerJonason Big Damn Hero

If the engine can handle all of the options, why not make the system flexible? Add 2 new kinds of items. 1 new tool, and 1 new box. Let all the blocks stay in the color you dug them out.

New tool: Soil Mineralization Device. If you equip this tool and then place dirt blocks, the dirt is automatically matched to the planetary dirt. If you do not equip this tool the dirt block uses its original color.

New box: Coloring Storage Device. This is a container with a twist. You can set a specific color to this box. Every block item that COULD be colored with the spraycan tool changes to the boxes set color. So if you have a red box, every dirt block you place in there, becomes a RED dirt block.

This way the players would have the ultimate block access storing choice! Booyaah!

19. Option 3 sounds to be the simplest but it is not my favorite. I like the idea of finding planets with specific resources and being able to harvest them so I'm leaning more towards option 1. Maybe if you collect dirt of a certain color that color could be added to a pallet or something.

Eolond likes this.
  20. Bahdler

Bahdler Astral Cartographer

I vote option 3

If we are mainly talking dirt. option 1 assuming one color per planet. Who wouldn't throw away dirt if they need space. It would be great to save a cool color if you decide to as well. Option 3 sounds more manageable though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.