1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Coloured Blocks

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Tiy, Sep 25, 2013.

?

Choose which ones you'd be ok with.

1. Different coloured blocks are stored in different inventory slots.

238 vote(s)
    51.3%
  2. Different coloured blocks are combined into a single block for easier storage, default coloration

44 vote(s)
    9.5%
  3. Different coloured blocks are combined into a single block for easier storage, planet coloration

240 vote(s)
    51.7%
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TheLoanArranger

TheLoanArranger Ketchup Robot

I like 1, but I can see 3 being way easier. So... useful post, here. :)

2. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Perhaps I misunderstood in the past, then, I thought that the paint tool was for artificial (non-natural) blocks such as brick and metal blocks and wood blocks, not for dirt or stone. So cool, I guess we can color more things now. Snow? Haha.

3. matta79

matta79 Orbital Explorer

I'd say option 2, with the ability to split and paint stacks while they're in your inventory.

samufel likes this.
  4. Pingeh

Pingeh Pangalactic Porcupine

Option 3 sounds best, as long as we can paint the dirt blocks later on to match the ones from other planets, I'd think.

DeadlyLuvdisc likes this.
  5. Soup

Soup Giant Laser Beams

Definitely 3

6. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

I've got my own paint tool for snow, but the only color it has is yellow :iswydt:

7. Xander

Xander Spaceman Spiff

" giving ultimate control over the color would. (via terraforming, mouse scroll wheel or whatever)"

Okay I know you guys are strapped for time but.. can I pick option 4? This? It sounds so much better then a bazzilion blocks or no choices but what the planet color is...

.. I don't want to make things harder on you guys but.. just.. it would be so much better.

AstroBlast likes this.
  8. irongamer

irongamer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

How about option 4?

All "dirt" blocks stack in the same stack. However, when you place one of these blocks you can press a key to bring up all the colors of blocks that you have found. Selecting a color then makes all the blocks you place that color. You can press the key again to switch to any other color you have found.

Edit:
    I guess basically what GeorgeV said. This would be fine as a later feature.

9. Tanek

Tanek Pangalactic Porcupine

As another in-game hoarder, I don't quite fancy the thought of hundreds of inventory slots for different colors of dirt (especially if they can be recolored through other methods anyway).

Option #3 allows for seamless use of the blocks and saves on inventory.

DeadlyLuvdisc and Miss Andry like this.
  10. I'd prefer option one just because I'm OCD and want every different color block in my storage chests lol.

There have been a few forum members who mentioned they'de like to have the dirt blocks stored under one default block then can be painted after being placed which is also a good idea.

11. In my opinion only option no. 1 is viable since you'll have all the colours you'll ever want, hence the storage problems...
    There's an idea I had about this but I'm not sure if it's even worth considering... i.e blocks of the same kind with different colours could be treated as a group which upon activation/selection would pop-up a window which would let you choose which colour you would like to build with, there could be an additional shortcut key just to make it easier to open up this menu again if needed.

DudeUA likes this.
  12. GeorgeV

GeorgeV Art Director

I believe the idea is that you'll be able to pain any tile. It might not look super natural and the color choices are limited but IMO it's enough.
    It doesn't work for every tile right now because we have to go through some day and manually recolor a lot of them to give them the variations.

13. But this isn't only dirt we're talking about, guys.

I'm interested in knowing more info about Keeper's point, that if you find cool wood on one planet it'll look like the default of another planet.
    So is this true for option 3? Would it limit variety in blocks like wood or other interesting decorative things?

14. Jarlyk

Jarlyk Astral Cartographer

The real problem with having to hoard multiple piles of colored blocks is that there is no simple universal sort order for color. You can go by hue, but what about saturation? It would also be a pain when you find a new color and need to resort your stacks. I'd probably wind up with multiple rows of chests, one by hue, one by lightness and one by saturation, but that means splitting each color into three separate piles. So, in short, save me from this fate, please. :)

15. Kroghammer

Kroghammer Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I prefer option 4 if the engine could handle it.

If not; Option 1 for customization.

16. natelovesyou

natelovesyou Oxygen Tank

Good to know, thanks for the reply GeorgeV. :) And to do a shameless plug, I hope that our suggestions for Option 3 are considered, like my suggestion that dirt or stone colors are available if you've scanned them. Haha.
    Personally I think I'd like wood to remain its own kind, I feel it's very different than dirt, stone, mud, clay or whatever other materials are out there.

17. reversePsychologist

reversePsychologist Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Definitely Option 1, even though I guess it's pretty much decided it's 3 now.

I'm sorry but this is a building game, and my hoarding complex and OCD dictate that I shall have everything no matter how much space it takes. Besides, if the problem is having too many different dirt blocks in the inventory because they take one block per color, 1) why carry that many, store it like in any other game, I doubt it will make a difference in the long run if you are the kind that keeps everything 2) just take the good habit to incinerate the stuff you don't need upon returning to the ship. Be diligent and recycle! (ok that's not really recycling)

Grulul, Dtb290, Sower and 1 other person like this.
  18. linkthegamer

linkthegamer Master Astronaut

I vote 3.

Plus if you guys, for whatever reason, never get around to allowing us to pick every single dirt block color possible you know at least 5 mods will add it in.

19. Cursebreaker

Cursebreaker Tentacle Wrangler

Yep easy, Option 3! :megusta:

20. Katzeus

Katzeus Chucklefisherman Chucklefish

If there were 10 colors of dirt I'd agree with you...but 100s of colors x 100s of blocks...I'd need a whole planet to store them all

DeadlyLuvdisc and PlayMp1 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.