WIP ClowKusanagi's Anime Portrait Overhaul (Starting from other NPC first)

Discussion in 'Portraits' started by Clowkusanagi, Mar 13, 2016.

1. Clowkusanagi

Clowkusanagi Intergalactic Tourist

ClowKusanagi's Anime Portrait Overhaul

[​IMG] [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Hey guys, welcome to my Anime Portrait Overhaul thread! I wanted to share some of my character overhauls using my style which is also inspired by Bunnerz style in terms of the coloring and style, while also tryingto stay faithful with ConcernedApe's original vision.

However, as there's already lots of bachelor and bachelorettes portraits overhaul, I decided to start from the NPC portraits first, while moving forwards to the bachelor/bachelloretes later.

Here's are the currently finished Portraits:

Shane

Lewis

Emily

Marnie

Caroline

Pierre

If you have any comment/critiques/suggestions in regards to my creation, please do not hesitate to inform me!

Enjoy!~

2016-03-29 Pierre updated to V.2
    2016-03-27 Pierre Added
    2016-03-26 Caroline Added
    2016-03-18 Marnie Added
    2016-03-15 Emily Added
    2016-03-13 Thread Created, Lewis and Shane Added

Last edited: Mar 29, 2016
    • endermaryn

endermaryn Scruffy Nerf-Herder

I love the definition in Lewis' face. The line on his nose and cheekbone make him look almost real. Good job!

• Clowkusanagi

Thank you for the kind words!

I wanted to create a set of portraits that properly reflects the character's age in anime style, while remaining faithful to its original source. I hope that I did a proper job conveying that through the first 2 portraits, Shane and Lewis.
        Shane is quite easy to make since he is your average young adult guy, while Lewis I envisioned as reaching middle-age and above. For Lewis I used several references like Major Armstrong from Fullmetal Alchemist and Braum from League of Legends (especially for their moustache).

• endermaryn

Well, you certainty managed to accomplish your goal. Lewis definitely looks properly older now. To me, Shane looks younger with the tweaking that was done to his nose and hair.

What villager were you possibly thinking of doing next if time permits? Because if you are unable to make more, I am glad that you at least managed to do these ones. Thank you for sharing them :)

• Clowkusanagi

I'm currently making Emily, although it could take quite a while since I'm having far more trouble than I expected at coloring her hair. Would try to finish her by tommorow.

Here's a preview of Emily so far:
            [​IMG]

Her hair gave so much trouble in coloring and shading, I'm still kinda struggling in coloring hair. Also, still thinking whether I would keep the dithering or ditch it to ensure the cell-shading coloring style.

Drogean likes this.
            • endermaryn

I like that blue color. But then, I tend to like lighter blues. Her face is also shorter which goes very well with her hair style. And she looks slightly younger than the original if that is what you are going for.

Keep at it. Struggling now will make it easier to do other projects in the future. :giggle:

• Clowkusanagi

Thanks for the encouragement endermaryn, I really appreciate it.

Yeah, I had to slightly tone down the saturation from the original Emily portrait, which is far too eye piercing when you look at it. The color intensity of majority of ConceredApe's original portrait was too high, saturation of almost all of his portraits were almost at maximum. Probably gonna tone down the saturation in future portraits as well, although Emily is arguably the biggest offender with the piercing red and blue colors.

I wasn't really trying to make her slightly younger compared to the original version, although I had to make some compromise with her. It was pretty hard making a feminine eye with small pixels, had to do a minimum of 4x4 pixels to create her eyes now (compared to Lewis and Shane which has a 3x3 pixel eyes). Will need to find a solution when creating the moms of Stardew Valley (Caroline, Jodi & Robin) so that they does not de-age too much when I create their portraits. Thankfully this does not really deviate too much from her original spirit, where she is probably around late 20s to early 30s (phew).

In any case, here's the finished version of Emily's portrait:
                [​IMG]
                Check for the first post for the download link of Emily's portrait

As usual, thank you for the support!

Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
                • endermaryn

Didn't even think of it but you are right in that part of the de-aging effect has to do with the eyes. She looks very good though. Toning down the saturation did wonders. She is very pleasing to look at.

Thank you for your hard work. ^_^ I look forward to your next edit!

• Hamsterific

Hamsterific Aquatic Astronaut

These are gorgeous!

• Theeternal92

Theeternal92 Void-Bound Voyager

Very nice work. I'm loving your Emily portraits.

• Clowkusanagi

Thanks for the compliments guys, I hope that I can continue to create high quality portraits.

Here's my latest WIP featuring Marnie. I try to keep her as a slightly chubby women but still cute/beautiful enough that she is still pleasing to look at.
                        The Braids are a pain to color though so far ><

[​IMG]

If you have any comment/critiques/suggestion on how I can improve her, please do so!

Drogean and tamlen like this.
                        • Valkjosandi

Valkjosandi Subatomic Cosmonaut

I'm really liking your style so far, you've definitely accomplished the anime look while remaining true to the originals. Very well done, can't wait to see what else you got in store! I have no doubt the finished product will be amazing.

• iamMiKA

iamMiKA Void-Bound Voyager

We need more of these! I too really liking the idea of staying to the original depiction. I can't wait for my Haley <3

• Clowkusanagi

Thanks! I'm glad that you liked it, I hope that I will be able to maintain the faithfulness of the portraits compared to the original source.

Thanks man, Haley is coming.... sooner or later :rofl:

In any case, here's the latest update featuring Marnie. As I've said before, her braids gave so much trouble in coloring it, but at least I'm pretty satisfied with the final result.

[​IMG]

To download, go to the first post.

Enjoy!

XaviiKinz and tamlen like this.
                              • Valkjosandi

Valkjosandi Subatomic Cosmonaut

Well so far you've done an amazing job doing so, Marnie looks fantastic!

• Marose

Marose Scruffy Nerf-Herder

YES YES YES!! I loved your Shane portrait and I didn't want to download any other portrait overhaul bc it wouldn't match with him lmao <3. Can't wait for the other villagers! :iswydt:

• TheLoreSeeker

TheLoreSeeker Phantasmal Quasar

That Marnie looks GREAT!

• STulio

STulio Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Please, don't give up. I loved your style and I want all the NPCs to look like this. Please, keep going!

• blankward

blankward Void-Bound Voyager

These are definitely my favorite so far. I've been holding off on downloading anything until I found an art-style that I really liked, so I'm really looking forward to seeing the rest of the cast. Great job, hope you keep with it!

• kamb040

kamb040 Tentacle Wrangler

this is so natural same original game =w=b