Closed Beta to Select Forum Members?

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by silver593, Feb 15, 2013.

?

Would you like Concernedape to consider this idea?

1. Yes!

42.5%
  2. No.

57.5%
  1. silver593

silver593 Subatomic Cosmonaut

One problem in many indie games is that when they are released, though they were attempted to be complete as possible, they still have many hard to find bugs. I propose that a select of 100-250(Smaller amount of members would as be a viable option) individuals receive the ability to play a web based version(Downloadable beta client would also work just make sure the code is uneditable and secure so it cant be pirated) of the game on the Stardew Valley website that is bound to the forum member's account. ( Many people are upset that are said you have to be a forum member but please listen you will need some sort of an account system for the client to tell who is and isn't aloud to login. From past experience I would just use the forum member system but if the dev wanted to he could completely make an account data base.) The web based version would be secure so that no files could be taken and released for pirating. The forum members that get the luxury of beta testing for bugs will then report as many bugs as possible and post their system settings so when the game is released it will be as bug free as possible.
    Note* I d hope to make it so that the beta is private in a way that the testers are unable to upload videos of beta so the game does not get spoiled.

My point is that it would speed development, 4 people playing the game can find bugs, but if you have 400 people playing you're far more likely to find bugs quicker. People want the game to be well polished and released asap. Which will not happen if four people themselves must find the thousands of bugs that thousands of beta testers could be finding. Once all the major bugs are found, its only a matter of time until he releases it. Yes, it may take a week or so to make a beta client for download, but it could improve the overall quality of the game and make it more bug free.

Edit: Those of you had problems with my wordings please read the bolded lines, I have tried my best to reword it and explain into further detail.

• DBDragoner

DBDragoner Void-Bound Voyager

Once the early testing is done and you get a stable beta you could let all members prepay and get the game. Early money along with a large testing base ready with bug reports and better ideas to make the game more polished. A win win.

silver593 likes this.
      • silver593

Exactly my point, everyone wins.

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

A beta would be nice. But then again, I'm perfectly fine without one.

• DBDragoner

I just would love to be able to curb my impatience by being able to play the game in whatever form its in. Plus once its playable by the community then it is truly looked at by other players. They'll watch playthoughs to determine if they truly are interested or not. This was how I came to buy Minecraft, Terraria, Don't Starve, Gnomoria, Towns, and several others. I don't buy till I've seen others play.

• CJoker3221

CJoker3221 Pangalactic Porcupine

That's how I got to play Terraria, Minecraft and Don't Starve too! :D
              But yeah, would love to see a Beta to ease the tension on players who wants to play it badly :)

• Hollow

Hollow Phantasmal Quasar

He most likely already has at least 4 betatesters, given what we've seen in the videos. Though, I do hope he has a slightly larger closed beta before sale just to make absolutely sure there's no nasty little bugs hiding in the shadows that could gobble up savedata or cause all the villagers in your town turn into slimes.

• CJoker3221

If people are picked, are they allowed to record videos of it I wonder? o.o

• Rainbow Dash

Rainbow Dash Oxygen Tank

that would be cool, i would love to try it out even though im propley not going to get picked =/

• CJoker3221

Well, you can only hope :)

• Cygen

Cygen Scruffy Nerf-Herder

As much as I would like to have at least some kind of early version I am against this Idea. CA already has People that help him test the game as you could see in the latest Videos. There is a German saying: "Zu viele Köche verderben den Brei." I think in english it would be: "Too many cooks spoil the broth."
                        Also I think it might be too much work to create a web based Version just for the sake of beta testing where some people may not even report bugs or try to look for bugs.

But for the rare case that CA does something like this it should not be with 100-250 people that would be overkill in my opinion. I think about 12 people would be the magic number. So he would have a dozen People testing Singleplayer and/or 3 groups that can test Coop to find bugs or compatibility problems.

• CJoker3221

I like the too many cooks spoil the broth :)
                          I guess we just have to wait patiently

• silver593

Hopefully not so the game does not get spoiled.

• DBDragoner

Hmm I was thinking bout open beta maybe a month or so before release. That's when almost everything is done its simply that odd hidden bugs and balancing.

• silver593

Exactly my thoughts, but for someone reason people are voting no...

• oath2order

oath2order Parsec Taste Tester

Well, the beta would require him to actually figure out a way to release the beta, instead of focusing on the actual real release.

• MrXIX

MrXIX Void-Bound Voyager

If he did any type of beta, I think it'd be a bit of a downer for it to be a "closed" beta available to only select forum members. I don't really know how well Minecraft's alpha and beta's did because I bought it in the final stages of it's Beta, but I do like the idea of a paid beta test thats open to anyone. Though personally, I'd rather see a full release so everyone can play it at the same time :)

Cygen likes this.
                                    • Echo

Echo Big Damn Hero

While I agree with the idea of a beta I do not agree with the idea of a closed beta among forum goers. If CA did a beta I feel that a smaller number consisting of friends would be sufficient enough to bug test a game like this. As mentioned before me 2-3 groups of 4 testing the different facets of the game would be a manageable amount and would be harder for any info to be leaked assuming this is a concern.

Voted: No

• Rekalty

Rekalty Friend of the Night

Nope. I think he should do what he thinks would be best. If that's select people, be it from the forums or elsewhere, whatever works best for him and his game.

• silver593

Which is it? People say they don't want a pre-pay beta because that would spoil the game. But they also don't want a private beta. A private beta is already occurring between close family members.