1. If you're looking for help-related things (for example, the key rebinding tutorial), please check the FAQ and Q&A forum! A lot of the stickies from this forum have been moved there to clean up space.
    Dismiss Notice

Clone Issues

Discussion in 'Starbound Discussion' started by Alternal, Sep 4, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alternal

Alternal Existential Complex

So after I heard of the whole "respawn by cloning" thing I was like yeah okay that's kinda cool.

But then I was thinking, if it's a traditional clone, then it isn't really you. Think about it, if you die, and are then cloned, that clone would have all your memories and personality, but not the same conciousness, it still wouldn't be YOU.
    But I guess since this is all spacey it would be easy to have a machine that catches or absorbs your essence and then puts that into the new physical body.

Axe Garian likes this.
  2. Sham

Sham Spoony Bard

You could also think of it like backing up a hard drive. Perhaps with such advanced technology it is possible to map minds in a mechanical form that can then be reintroduced to the clone.

I suppose there is the issue of whether or not the new you would actually BE you, but I think this is something that you just have to choose not to look at too closely.

3. Zellman

Zellman Existential Complex

It is the same idea as the respawning in Borderlands...They copy your DNA and re-create you for a fee.

Firehammer likes this.
  4. Billybob-Mario

Billybob-Mario Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Where did you get this information from?

Also, that sounds like what happened in Spore Space Stage.

5. Sham

Sham Spoony Bard

That's actually a good point, I don't remember reading that anywhere. I guess I just assumed that it was a piece of information I missed while I was on hiatus.

In any case, re-spawn mechanics often lack "perfect" explanations, they simply exist to make game play more enjoyable (in my opinion).

Axe Garian likes this.
  6. Alternal

Well I can definitely see your point and maybe I am looking to much into, I tend to do that a bit hahah.
    But it would still seem odd with traditional cloning that after you die once you're never really YOU again. Depending on how it works anyways.

7. That was always my problem with The 6th Day. And The Prestige.

sasquatchjc likes this.
  8. Alternal

I have not seen either of those...
    But judging by the theme here I totally get that hahah.

9. Perhaps in the future your consciousness is also recorded with your clone data?

10. TheRev

TheRev Industrial Terraformer

You should check out "The 6th day" it was a decent Arnold movie lol

sasquatchjc and Axe Garian like this.
  11. Alternal

Yeah that's what I'm thinking, it goes with all the futurey stuff, and solves the problem of "you" that picky people like me have. :up:

12. AllenKS

AllenKS Hard-To-Destroy Reptile

It wouldn't matter, because you wouldn't know as you're now dead. The new clone you however, to the world, would be you because as a person with your exact personality, ideas and memories it would just do exactly what you would have done in every situation from then, anyways.

You have to look at it from a third person perspective. To the third party world, you never left. To you.. Nothing.. You're dead. So you (the person playing Starbound) could just be some kinda floating spirit watching your character's (and his clones) journey through space.

13. Alternal

Well that's exactly what I don't want ahahah. That's still kinda the issue though, as you wouldn't be the original. And how do you know there isn't anything after death? For all you know you could become a spirit in the same plain of reality, watching this mere clone do the things you should be doing.

14. Hopefully the cloning issues won't get out of hand (as in morality issues)

15. That makes me think that there could be some sort of Evil Clone boss that brings your dead body back to life after you've been cloned.

16. Ugh... the possibilities!

I wonder how the cybernetics would get replaced with you -- exploits could be made so a "rare" part is created over and over again...

17. No, but see, your consciousness is a product of your nervous system. If you destroy the original, and create a new one, a new consciousness is created by default, albeit an identical one. Unless you believe in souls or some immutable quality inherent in a person's consciousness, there is no way to port the thing to a new body, short of a brain transplant (if your original is on fire, or still kicking around, that might be a bit difficult).

18. Or, we can create some random crazy explanation that makes no sense whatsoever

19. Oricalcum

Oricalcum Ketchup Robot

Eh, I would hope for a pokemon-like fainting.
    I just don't like the idea of being someone different every time I die :\

Axe Garian and Kristopher like this.
  20. Oh totally (totes). I'm just talking about it in the standard way.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.