RELEASED Climates of Ferngill (Weather Mod) 1.3

Adds a weather system to the game

1. WoosterUK

WoosterUK Scruffy Nerf-Herder

SMAPI 2.1 broke ClimatesOfFerngill (I think). It was working right up until I installed SMAPI 2.1, anyway. https://pastebin.com/DCvqzSRv. [I got the same error with Patch 4 and also with Patch 5.]

• Koihime Nakamura

Koihime Nakamura Ketchup Robot

That is a known issue, apparently, and will be addressed in a later version of SMAPI.

• Koihime Nakamura

RC 2/Patch 6 is in development. This will also mean the final version is now 1.3 rather than 1.2

Known new features
        - The moon will be drawn on the day end screen if it's not raining
        - The moon will use an absolute reference in case you have to edit your save file or something
        - Temperature display is fixed on the weather menu for tomorrow.
        - HUD popups will display more information
        - More chances for debris washing up on a full moon
        - The fog now uses a bit of a different color to be more easily seen in certain days

In Progress
        - I'm overhauling the text on the TV and weather menu to properly read better and actually have a chance of displaying more than just the fixed basic string (i.e you'll see different descriptions over different days)
        - Luck will factor into getting sick, as well as maybe hats as an easter egg?
        - Making 'dark' fog a bit darker.

In Consideration
        - Adding a "blinding" fog chance that means you can't see more than 10 squares in any direction
        - Using buffs to manage the stamina drain (and adding one in blizzards to slow you down)

anothersarah likes this.
        • kijikun

kijikun Void-Bound Voyager

Loving this mod - though odd thing I've noticed sometimes on rainy days Penny will be sitting outside reading or on the bench which I can't recall her doing during vanilla rain.

• Koihime Nakamura

That is odd. I can't see why she would, honestly, as the mod feeds back into the system that it's raining.. I'll look into it to make sure it's doing that.

• kijikun

It's not a huge deal just an odd quirk I noticed. Other than having a book out in the rain, sitting on a bench in the rain could be read very in character at time. I just thought I'd mention it.

But I cannot over state how much I enjoy this mod, spring really felt like spring. And the summer thunderstorms feel spot on. Look forward to what the rest of the year brings.

• FieryChaos

FieryChaos Cosmic Narwhal

@kijikun There are some instances where Penny will be outside during the rain; you can look at her schedule file or her wiki page entry (under Deviations) to see them.

• kijikun

Ah! Just my faulty memory then. Sorry about that.

• Koihime Nakamura

Oh. I'll still doublecheck, but OK.

kijikun likes this.
                    • Koihime Nakamura

Update: The refactor broke everything! D:

Here are the changes that are beyond the fixes and intended in progress stuff:
                      - Fall climates in normal and enhanced in the last 9 days were broken for producing too much rain. The formula was misentered and has been corrected
                      - Frosts now get full resistance as they are pretty much guaranteed from Fall 20 to Spring 4. The message informing you of their effect in the night will also now tell you how many got killed.
                      - Stamina should .. not make you sick from a heatwave or frost when you can't suffer their effects.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2017
                      • Koihime Nakamura

Progress is still rolling on, and with more time this weekend, I should be able to have something up for testing.

Update 2:

- Fog is now properly dark, and fades properly. This code took way too long to write in.
                        - New sprites are added
                        - A blood moon is added, although it's events are still being determined.
                        - luck is now factored into stamina

TODO:
                        - text

anothersarah, HopeWasHere and kijikun like this.
                        • Koihime Nakamura

So, work has decided that we are in game-relesae mode. This took way too long, but here are the improvements since then. This now requires SMAPI 2.3 as it's going to have an API for other mods to use this mod.

Update 3
                          - Fog has been updated with a smoother sprite and has a more even fade-in and fade-out. In addition, you will now see potential evening fog
                          - The weather icon is working, and the pointer properly draws over it now
                          - We've moved back to using CustomTV now that the bug in it is fixed. The build being updated today, though, doesn't use it

Known Issues
                          - Neither the menu or the TV have text on the weather channel

Attached Files:

xangria, HopeWasHere and FieryChaos like this.
                          • xangria

xangria Subatomic Cosmonaut

I just checked out Update 3. The fog looks so much better! The transition is nicer, and the lighter color makes it easier behind it.

I did notice a possible bug however. I have crop death set to false, but I still had one die in early spring after a storm.

• Koihime Nakamura

That's probably not my mod. Reasonably certain anyway. (I'm actually going to test that a bit more thoroughly. I've got my suspicions about that code, but it should have no way to execute.)

Can you give me the day it happened?

• Koihime Nakamura

Actually, can you tell me ho wmany crops you had and if you had any scarecrows? I need to rule out a crow too. =/

• xangria

I can only guess, because I've played a bit past it now. It was early spring, and I had probably 20 or so crops. I didn't have a scarecrow yet, but it wasn't due to that. The crop didn't disappear, it became wilted after a storm.

• Koihime Nakamura

Er.. did you get the pop up? Because that IS something that might happen at 20~ crops, although after re-reading the code, you shouldn't get it on a storm. o_O Did you have lightning rods out?

Last edited: Jan 10, 2018
                                    • FieryChaos

FieryChaos Cosmic Narwhal

Lightning strikes will kill crops is the vanilla behavior, dunno if you touched that. Even with lightning rods it can still happen sometimes.

• xangria

Oh! I didn't even think about that. I'm used to having lightning rods up in summer when storms normally happen. So it was probably lightening that killed this one. Sorry for the confusion!

• Koihime Nakamura

Oh, I didn't touch that. Okay, so for anopinion poll:

With the advent of SMAPI 2.3 and the upcoming SDV 1.3, I've been considering segmenting the stamina system off to a minimod, since it can poll the main mod via the API interfaces. This sound good to people here, or..?