1. Please be advised of a few specific rules and guidelines for this section.

RELEASED CLeF - Things to do in Starbound [Deleted]

Discussion in 'Mechanics' started by MrChow, Feb 11, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MrChow

MrChow Pangalactic Porcupine

Thank you for replying in the More Critters thread! Quality control is what this mod needs the most (which I've failed to do due to its large size when merged in the code. Lesson learned). I've just committed these fixes to CLeF. :3

2. chean

chean Pangalactic Porcupine

Yeah I figured it was better to post about it in that thread, since I confirmed that the files were the same in the current releases of both MC and CLF. Glad to help by reporting any bugs I come across. :)

3. MrChow

They are not exactly the same, though. I've relocated new critters into sub-directory in order to distinguish them from vanilla patched critters in the future. This lead to missing flyingmonster.lua errors, which triggered the code cleanup from my side. So, all what's been done is for the best. ;)

4. MrChow

MrChow updated CLeF - Things to do in Starbound with a new update entry:

No More Critters

Read the rest of this update entry...

5. RDG-Starbound

RDG-Starbound Master Chief

sayter likes this.
  6. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

A few minor details I've noticed with this great mod...
    Tents do not glow when the player sleeps in them (but still do for NPCs)
    Holding shift to walk no longer slows you. You instead move full-speed while using the walk animation.

And...that's honestly everything I can think of that's off or wrong. You've done well!

7. MrChow

Thank you. :3 That's why these two features were moved to Sandbox plug-in. :)

* Non-glowing tents were hiding you from monsters, this was a thing in Upbeat Giraffe.
    * The speed of walking animation was sacrificed in order to remove slowdown when character runs into opposite direction from cursor's position (the game forces walking mode if character faces backwards).

Last edited: Oct 23, 2015
  8. MrChow

MrChow updated CLeF - Things to do in Starbound with a new update entry:

Removed FU support, moved to another repository

Read the rest of this update entry...

9. chean

chean Pangalactic Porcupine

Whoa, very sad to read that the mod has been discontinued. :(

I only started using CLF during this Pleased Giraffe time, but it quickly became part of the "core" SB experience for me... can't really imagine playing without it now. But anyway, MrChow: thank you very much for your efforts on CLF, and good luck on whatever you'll be doing now. <3

10. Mimaah

Mimaah Phantasmal Quasar

Same as above, I only started modding Starbound a while back and this was the first mod I got because it was so large and amazing. It's sad to see you go but I hope you enjoy what ever you move on to.

11. Zalics

Zalics Void-Bound Voyager

First of all, I'm sad to hear that this mod has now been discontinued.
    Besides official announcements and updates, I was visiting this site daily just to see if a new update of CLef was released.
    Mods are supposed to be optional, and I'm not sure why people are giving you a hard time for disliking it.
    I use whatever mods I wanted to make Starbound (Or any other game) an experience tailored to my liking, and I thank you for the past year for creating and enhancing this mod.

Despite your current frustration, I will keep hoping that you might one day return to the Starbound modding scene.
    Once again, thank you very much for your effort.

12. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

Whoa, that's....sudden and unsettling to hear...I'm sorry that the toxic side of the fanbase has got to you. I can only imagine the shit-slinging defenders of the rapidly simplified/dumbed down base game have given, behind the protection of being anonymous. I'm unsure of where the insults are from, as I don't see many on this forum, at least not the last page or two. If it's from Reddit or 4chan... just ignore em and never look again at them. Redditors tend to have a superiority complex, and 4chan delights in the suffering of others. (No offense to any that are here. You deigning to use another type of forum shows you aren't one of these people).

I'd like to thank you for the hard work you've put into this mod, and that it's been a blast to play with it. Seeing how the mod has 3880 downloads, (AFTER you removed the mod, then brought it back, resetting the counter) a lot more people than are speaking here enjoyed it as well. I'll continue to use this mod until a stable update breaks it, then probably set Starbound aside for a few years until it's finished (I predict around 2017?). In the meantime, I'd suggest playing something fun to chill out some rather than modding. Try the new terraria update (with expert mode if you felt the game was too easy), or Undertale, perhaps.

Again, thank you for your contributions to the game, and hope to see you around at least chatting some now and then.

13. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Most of the issues from what I've seen came from reddit, but HE was the instigator. Most all his posts were overly aggressive and borderline abusive. He was always bashing chucklefish for changes they've made, and basically anyone who disagreed with him was included in this "fandom". His overall attitude was toxic itself.

Making a mod to undo whatever he could of Chucklefish's changes is fine and dandy. Its an optional mod. But he took every chance he got to slam chucklefish for it.

Wellbott likes this.
  14. Carne

Carne Void-Bound Voyager

Ty for evertyhing, you made this shitshow enjoyable, I'm out too

15. Requiemsvoid

Requiemsvoid Void-Bound Voyager

When making claims like this, I find it always helps to provide evidence/links/references/citations.

RDG-Starbound likes this.
  16. Zetlin97

Zetlin97 Scruffy Nerf-Herder

Awww... really liked this mod. Good luck, man. Hope someone keeps it alive.

17. lazarus78

lazarus78 The Waste of Time

Hes deleted his reddit account so tracking down posts is nil impossible now.

There is this: https://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/comments/3pj427/am_i_the_only_one_that_does_not_like_clef/cw7kbrx
    "... not getting paid to read byproducts of your rotten gray matter."

And an example of his mindless slander of the game: https://www.reddit.com/r/starbound/..._looking_at_generated_alien/cvu0x3w?context=3

18. RDG-Starbound

RDG-Starbound Master Chief

After seeing him comment here and there, seeing certain other users attack him, his mod, AND anyone who uses it, as well as talking to MrChow personally, I can't say I agree.

Considering the things those people were slinging at him, this is simply frustration with the more toxic members of the playerbase. Not to say that everyone was toxic, but that those who were, were numerous enough, active enough, and hostile enough to wear his patience thin.

I see no mindless slander here, I see him criticizing the development choices, and another person disagreeing with him. You seem to be mindlessly slandering him though, no?

That said, I'm afraid this means that Starbound is no longer a game I wish to play, simply because as of the Giraffe changes, without CLeF it's simply not enjoyable for me anymore. While I don't know if being sandboxy, er, I'm sorry. "Terraria-Like", was intended to be a selling point by the devs, quite frankly it was the sandboxiness of pre-Giraffe Starbound that sold it to me, and why I enjoyed it. The bosses were a part of the game for me, removing them made it less enjoyable for me. Stranded on an unknown planet, and forced to build yourself back up from the stone age? That was a challenge I enjoyed, but now that I'm being told I can't have that challenge anymore, I don't enjoy the game. A 2-D Platformer with a cheap sandbox paintjob isn't appealing to me in a game.

I'm sure my opinion means nothing, of course, the game isn't about me, it's about the number of copies CF has sold, the fact that they likely have plenty of revenue from it to cruise on while they discard everything that made Starbound what it was and what made it sell, and instead mold it into whatever they want regardless of player approval. Stay classy, people.

Exarchai likes this.
  19. Lindazana

Lindazana Cosmic Narwhal

There's quite a bit of mind in that, actually. I will agree that there is a lot of anger there, but if you back up a moment and think about it, he makes several good points. For people following the game closely, it's alarming how many things have time spent on them, polished, balanced, then removed for no discernible reason (Alien juice, liquid nitrogen, uranium, old bosses). Though I do agree that temperature and hunger sorely needed to be redone. In regards to being angry at his anger... None of us know the whole story here. It's possible he was one of the high-dollar backers for the game, which has changed a very large amount from what it started as, with it's current direction heading farther still.

Don't be too harsh. What's being done is frown worthy, and certainly worth a mod being made to bring these things back in addition to the new things that have actually been added. But, they are still making SB and updating it, which is a LOT more than a distressingly large amount of other kickstarter-backed projects have done, many others just taking the money, doing a barebones game with the tier goals slapped in placed, then bailed. If CF implemented fossils right now, I believe they could legally just stop and call the game done, and keep the remaining money.

20. greenRAM

greenRAM Giant Laser Beams

That's a shame. I know how it is to not have enough time. You'll be missed.

I wasn't a big fan of everything added or renewed in this mod, as I like the general direction that the core game has been going with. However, there are elements of this mod that I feel are pretty essential. The added liquid interactions, your portable teleports, and your high tech dreadwing wreckage tools will all need their own mods now. The added liquid interactions especially feels like a fix to an ugly ingame bug.

I hope to see you back with the modding community here, maybe when you're feeling more inspired again and have some time to kill.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.